NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($4.94)
      Hero ($5.29)
      UTG ($5.15)
      UTG+1 ($5.07)
      CO ($5)
      BTN ($5)

Dealt to Hero 3:spade: 3:heart:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.45, SB calls $0.30

FLOP ($0.90) 7:diamond: A:club: 9:spade:

SB checks, Hero checks

TURN ($0.90) 7:diamond: A:club: 9:spade: A:diamond:

SB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($0.90) 7:diamond: A:club: 9:spade: A:diamond: 7:heart:

SB bets $0.25, Hero raises to $1.10, SB calls $0.85

SB shows 8:heart: 9:heart:
      (Pre 53%, Flop 91.2%, Turn 95.5%)

Hero shows 3:spade: 3:heart:
      (Pre 47%, Flop 8.8%, Turn 4.5%)

SB wins $2.90

Vs Unknown who play 6+ tables

PF
      I decided for a 3bet instead of calling or folding since playing unkown with a low pocket even in position can be tricky, fold is bit weak, but 3bet is pretty effective i sure know it when arriwing at the table and unknowns bombing me with it.

F
      once he called i decided to do a delayed cbet

T
      A paired up giving dcbet less credibility but seemed passive so might see a free showdown

R
      He doesn't have many legit cards after this action and most should fold, sure slowed ax and 77 won't but any other bluff, medium pocket, 9x should. I am easily representing slow ax.
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I rarely 3b small pocketpairs IP. U are better off calling and trying to hit some sets or pull off some bluff raises postflop.

As played i dont get why u didnt bet the flop. He might have folded his hand. River line is bad too cos u dont rep anything. 33 has hardly any showdown value. I rather check back KK and bluff with 33.
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      Because he can easily have Ax in his range, we don't know his postflop play.

I assumed his range to be QQ-77,AJs+,KQs,AJo+,KQo or even tighter or much looser we don't know, so in short i wanted some extra information whether my bluff is going to be profitable or not, we could often take freecard with ax on that flop, if it were drawy i probably would have bet (still 3b pot). I don't see it's mandatory to try to bluff him out cause i expected 3bet to be profitable preflop and i don't plan overplaying my hand now. He might now even fold his medium pockets anyway only beating his non A highcards of which i only gave him one the kqo.

On river i could easily rep a 7 or a slowplayed A which is actually reasonable cause on this dry board in 3b pot we can't expect much value from our trips, against his range we are doing reasonable with our bluff but if we assume he would bet his monsters and Ax sooner and he only opens with cards QQ-TT,KQs,KQo which i assume he folds too.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      He has more non AX than AX in his range. Your bluff only needs to work 1/3 times if you bet half the pot. I think on an Ace high Flop your fold equity is >50% here.

You should also take note of the limit you are playing here. While checking back this Flop allows you to represent some strength (AA, weak AX, KK/QQ) against a decent hand reader at higher limits, at NL5 these guys will just automatically assume that you never have an Ace after you check the Flop. This makes your Turn or River bluffs much less effectively. NL5 guys are at Level 0.

If you know how to use PokerStove/EquiLab, I suggest you try to open the hand range popup, click all the hands you think are in his range. Then look at the actual range %. Then think of hands that are folding to a Flop cbet and remove those hands from your initial selection. You can then calculate your fold equity. I think it will probably be as I said (>50%).

------------------------------------------------

1) "If it were drawy I probably would have bet" - This doesn't make sense. We should bluff dry flops more often simply because our opponents will have something less often.

2) "I don't see it's mandatory to bluff him cos I expect 3bet to be profitable preflop" - But you got one of the best bluffing Flops and you should do so.

3) "On River I could easily rep a 7 or a slowplayed A" - I don't think people are putting you on 7X really often when you 3bet preflop. Unless you have a reputation for 3betting trash all the time. And when you check back twice, you never have an Ace here. It would be a really bad play to check the Ace again on the Turn. You should bet Turn and River, and expect 2nd pair type of hands to call you down a lot. Simply because when there are 2 As on the board, people give u much less credit for having an Ace yourself.

Basically your line doesn't make any sense at all and I definitely agree with villain's call. Also, his bet size was meant to achieve 2 things
      1) Make you herocall with some random hand like K high
      2) Induce a bluff from you like you did here