Online Poker in Asia

• SillySaurus
      SillySaurus
      Bronze
      Hey hey!

I might some time in the future get a job in China and since I love playing poker I was wondering if you are able to play from China and other Asian countries?

I ask because it seems like there are no/few Chineese on PS.com, so either the scene is very small perhaps due to their internet connection or the great firewall of China or their government blocks the poker sites. Does anyone have any info on this matter?

And generally why don't we see a huge amount of asians on the pokersites? In gaming they are among the strongest players on earth, and with most of the countries living costs being quite low, poker should be quite profitable and popular.
  • 14 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey ChewbroCColi,

We do have Asian communities here at PokerStrategy so I can only assume you can play from there, but I will try and get a staff member from China to reply for you, they should hopefully know what the deal is :)

Also moving your thread into Beginners Questions for you!
    • Amnesia85
      Amnesia85
      Bronze
      I do believe Chinese people can play on rooms like Pokerstars.
      But after the collusion rings they(stars) uncovered there was set up a 1 chinese/table limit.
      Imo its a retarded move as i consider russian player just as shady.
      Don't get me wrong here, i'm not being racist.
      But if only 1 chinese is aloud per table, they should do the same for russia as there have been continuous reports obout cheaters there to.
      Anyway, my understanding of gambling in China is thats it is illegal.
      But everyone does it so it isn't policed.
      Correct me if i'm wrong :D
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey ChewbroCColi,

Just to add, how is your Chinese? Do you speak it at all? If so we have a Chinese community on PokerStrategy.com that you can find here: http://zh.pokerstrategy.com/forum/ if you don't speak Chinese then ignore me :D

I'm gonna try doing some research for you now i'll be back soon to tell you what i can find out (if anything)

Regards
      Carl
    • SillySaurus
      SillySaurus
      Bronze
      Wow thank you.
      No I'm affraid I do not speak chineese. :f_p:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Well i googled it and can't really find any up to date information most things are from 2010 at the latest. Will keep looking though and let you know if/when i find something

I guess since we have a Chinese community then you must be able to play but i'm not sure if there are any restrictions, for example, if you have to deposit from and withdraw to a Chinese bank account. How long would you be living there for? Would it be a permanent job? Or a few months?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      "Current State of Legislation in China

While gambling over the Internet remains completely illegal, there has been growing indications that new legislation may soon legitimise the practise."

So i just saw this but i see no date on the article so can't tell you when it's from sorry :facepalm: will keep looking though
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      China is funny, Poker no problem, Facebook BANNED!!!!
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      BTW this might help, no poker sites banned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_websites_blocked_in_the_People's_Republic_of_China
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot maheepsangari :)
    • jilei
      jilei
      Bronze
      in China there are many people play online poker, alomst all of the major poker sites are available here, and you can go to Macau if you want to play some live poker.

of course, compare with EN community, ZH community has less members, but after all, i think you can enjoy your poker life in China.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      But bye bye youtube and twitter. Can someone plesae tell me why google docs is blocked????
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jilei
      in China there are many people play online poker, alomst all of the major poker sites are available here, and you can go to Macau if you want to play some live poker.

of course, compare with EN community, ZH community has less members, but after all, i think you can enjoy your poker life in China.
      Awesome thanks for dropping by sir :)

Hope this helps you ChewbroCColi
    • SillySaurus
      SillySaurus
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Originally posted by jilei

Awesome thanks for dropping by sir :)

Hope this helps you ChewbroCColi
      It really does. Thanks a lot for your help guys. :f_love:
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ChewbroCColi
      I might some time in the future get a job in China and since I love playing poker I was wondering if you are able to play from China and other Asian countries?
      In order to survive in China you will be purchasing and using a VPN. Maybe you can get by just by having unblocked access as your work, but honestly they just aren't that expensive.

Contrary to popular belief poker sites do let you play via a VPN as long as you are not hiding your identity or place of residence. I hope you realize that even if things are not blocked it is not always a good idea to put questionable internet traffic straight through to your Chinese internet connection. :D

You will want an eWallet. Contact Neteller or MoneyBookers/Skrill ahead of time and make arrangements. Your best bet will be to setup your account and fund it before you leave, transfer the account to your new residence once you are set up there, and use their debit cards for withdrawals. Basically you completely avoid the hassles of going through the Chinese banks and banking system.

Also, if you are actually going to end up in Hong Kong you can pretty much ignore all of the above and play like normal. I've never heard of anyone having problems from Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau.

I'm more than happy to discuss specifics over PM, email, Skype, etc.