20BB rule

• CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Hi.

First of all, for all you NL people, this is FL section :) Read on...

Because of some downswings and so, I made myself a new rule.
      When I hit +/- 20BB I stop playing.
      So for example. On 0.25/0.50 SH that would mean that when I make 10$ (or lose 10$) I stop playing for that day.

Does this even makes any sense? :)
      Is 20BB limit a bit too low?
      Should this limit be changeable?
      Again, does this makes any sense? :P

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • 23 replies
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze

Does this even makes any sense? :)
      no. especially not when you want to stop playing when you are up 20bb. i mean wtf ? ^^. "hey i´m running great, the table is the fishiest i ever seen -> i quit !"
      for losing it makes a bit more sence but 20bb is WAY too low. 1 or 2 suck outs when you have a monster + some missed flops and raised continuation bets and you will have to quit.
      just stop when you have the feeling that you don´t play a-game anymore. and i think that´s not the case after losing 20bb ;)
    • FrozenRope
      FrozenRope
      Bronze
      I agree with frzl if you are playing your "A" game and getting suckedout on which happens at the lower limit fequently 20BB is a little low. Also when running good and the tables are good you should play as long as possible again playiing your "A" game. If your winning but feel like your starting to make bad choices, or losing focus take a break from playing go watch a video for your limit or re-read arrticles.

When playing your best it doesn't mean that your going to win all the time. Realize that you need bad players in the game and they will suckout on you, maintain your goal, play your best, study and study some more.

Setting limits $ wise in my oppinion is not the right appoach, which is to results oriented. Better to set limits on time, break your sessions down and play for a certain amount of time. When you have reached your time limit click the autoblind key to off and sit out your next blind. Then go over your sessions in pokertracker or elephant or holdem manager what ever progam you use, find hands that you think you had a difficult time with and post your hands for the coaches to have a look.

Good skill to you, see you at the tables
    • Nitlib
      Nitlib
      Bronze
      20BB as a stop rule is way to tight. I am up or down 20 BB in the first twenty minutes of almost every other session. If you suggested a 70 BB down stop-loss rule, i would rather deem it about right. Playing good poker is the aim, but 70 BB down and (if rather subtile) tilt is knocking on almost everyone´s door.
    • tehChipDonk
      tehChipDonk
      Bronze
      20bb is just like 1 min buy for sss, correct? (nm, i just realized this is the FL forum where bb=big bets, my bad....) how does that even work? i mean, you probably have 8+ tables going, it's impossible to be -20bb and stop...
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CoreySteel
      First of all, for all you NL people, this is FL section :) Read on...
      Was this directed at me corey? :P
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      I'm back from vacation...

Thanks for reply guys.
      I knew this system isn't any good, but anyway... Wanted to know if someone has any better related system :)

Problem is, because my stats (my play?) is very swingy and I can lose like 50BB in 50 hands while building this 50BB for hours. And all this is quite frustrating for me :rolleyes:
      Actually I don't mind that at all, but I wanna see some progressss :D
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      Well if u will have +,- 20BB rule you won't make much progress, because you won't play more than 100 hands per day.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      True. I won't have any progress in my game, but I'll have money progress :) But first thing is more important of course.

But it's not entirely true about less than 100 hands. Today I played 350 hands and I didn't hit 20BB ;) (anyway, I'm not doing this anymore)
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      LOL, u allso have less money progress, because you don't exploit upswingy days like this one :D

• opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Nice :)
      But on the other side: you can avoid days like this:

20 BB rule would make nice night life for me :heart:
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      lol, yeah...
      But you also don't fall in a big downswing :P
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by CoreySteel
      lol, yeah...
      But you also don't fall in a big downswing :P
      I posted it a bit faster :)
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Heh... I see :P
      Few seconds faster ;)
      Ugly downswing...
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      LOL, but you would allways win more if you play more (if you are a winning player), so setting limits in BB/day doesnt make sense.

And once again, you loose too much value on upswings :D , i am begginig to feel invincible after last week :D , my 53% W@SD with 32,5 WTSD finally started raising after 30k hands, and got me on 2BB/100. Wish it stays there, but after every upswing comes .... :(

• CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      ... comes only-20BB-downswing? :)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      off-topic:

tomzyb, why you're still on 0.5/1?? You must have more than 600BB on 1/2..
      2 BB/100 hands on 1/2 is a little bit more ;) worth a try
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      hmm...

Do you want some extra money and need one more fish at your tables :P ?

Well i have about 850BB for 1/2 + 14000 FPPs. And i dont like moving back down in limits so my plan is to move up when reaching at least 1000BB and my FPPs will be reserve for bad times like bigger downswings and such.

And if i succed in 1/2 i will probably wait till 1500BB for 2/4, just because the ability to replanish my bankroll from outside decreases rapidly when going up in limits as i am still a student and dont have any significant outside source of income. And i am allso pretty tilty person :)

We'r way offtopic now...
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      I'm the thread started and I don't mind :)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      I understand you, but 1000BB is way too much - but OK..

Trust me: you don't need 1500BB! Really, if you get downswing of 1000BB, you should move down no matter you still have enough BR (still 500 in this case), because there's something wrong with your play (at least in 90% it is :/).

So 1000 is maybe too passive but reasonable (more on higher lvls like 5/10+), but don't go for 1500. If you can beat one limit to get ~1.5-2 BB/100 hands after 30k hands, you're just cutting your income by staying on lower limit... that's just my opinion ;)

and btw: there's nothing wrong with moving down in limits - you're playing better after that and have better motivation... Sooner or later everyone will get this experience :P

edit> I'm playing by 500BB rule until moving from 3/6 to 5/10. I had $3000 BR (enough for 3/6) 3 times so far but I haven't even tried it yet as I always lost on my "last day" on 2/4 :( Tommorrow is my 4th last day (I need only 5BB) again :D