Where's the logic

    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.12.2010 Posts: 154
      Can someone please explain to me the logic behind multi tabling with a forty bb stack? I have been tracking 3 short stackers on Stars and I don't see how that can be profitable. The games are 6max, fast, Nl100 & NL200. None of them are on auto top-up, all three play 10+ tables. The one who plays NL200 on 4 of the, in his case 14 tables he was playing his stacks were: 20bb,23bb, 29bb & 30bbs.

      One of the players in the NL100 is super nova. I can't see how that can be profitable even with rank back. I'm not sure whether to hunt for them or avoid them ?(
  • 8 replies
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      Joined: 30.01.2011 Posts: 514
      bots
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.09.2009 Posts: 21,926
      <Moved to the dedicated board>
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      Joined: 12.08.2011 Posts: 935
      If you can adjust to them then hunt them

      If they are regulars and winning I am sure they have some sort of strategy which works for them
      Observe them and adjust accordingly
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.12.2010 Posts: 154
      Originally posted by abhi147
      If you can adjust to them then hunt them

      If they are regulars and winning I am sure they have some sort of strategy which works for them
      Observe them and adjust accordingly
      I do table select and that's my question What could the strategy be? They dont seem to table select, they play every day, so how do they profit? They're sitting at a fast table with 4 or 5 players who have 100bb stacks. If they play to tight the rake eats them alive, if they play to loose, the big stacks get them.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Joined: 02.09.2010 Posts: 8,913
      Originally posted by gp00053
      I do table select and that's my question What could the strategy be? They dont seem to table select, they play every day, so how do they profit? They're sitting at a fast table with 4 or 5 players who have 100bb stacks. If they play to tight the rake eats them alive, if they play to loose, the big stacks get them.
      I think that the Short/mid stack strategy works like this:
        You risk only 40bb at at time
        you leave if you win, top up if you lose
        You play narrow set of opening hands
        Your only lines are raise/fold or raise/shove (there are minor exceptions)

      This is superb for people who get the ranges learned to the point that they are 2nd nature. The strategy can be played almost mechanically at that point, and they can play v large numbers of tables.

      Good short stackers can rake in $

      Bad ones spew it.

      Hint: If YOU read the articles on SSS here, and learn their ranges, you will know with what hands you can 3Bet them with. Just be aware that once they have raised, they are almost always pot-committed already, so bluffs will never, ever work.

      That is the real power of the SSS -- by playing such a short stack, they draw the teeth of any aggression you might try to bring to bear.

      And if they play very tight, it isn't rake that kills 'em, it is the blinds, since you aren't affected by rake if you fold preflop.

      A good short-stacker will use HIS well-known raise/shove line as a bluff against susceptible players, and blind stealing by short stackers works quite well, since if they raise, you know what their range is (or should be), and if you call or re-raise, you have NO implied odds. And remember -- you can't bluff 3Bet except in rare cases.
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.12.2010 Posts: 154
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

      And if they play very tight, it isn't rake that kills 'em, it is the blinds, since you aren't affected by rake if you fold preflop.

      A good short-stacker will use HIS well-known raise/shove line as a bluff against susceptible players, and blind stealing by short stackers works quite well, since if they raise, you know what their range is (or should be), and if you call or re-raise, you have NO implied odds. And remember -- you can't bluff 3Bet except in rare cases.
      Ah Thank you;makes sense. That's exactly how the one does play. And you're also right about one of them spewing money. He plays very loose and just keeps reloading. The other thing I noticed is they were all Russians. Anyway thanks again great answer

      I meant blinds not rake :D
    • jurish123
      jurish123
      Silver
      Joined: 30.08.2008 Posts: 96
      every game is profitable, few days ago i found one player who's up 700k$ in sng. Found him on stars and also saw that he's playing 6max and hu with MSS and the biggest suprise was he's Supernova Elite and also he's up 100k$ by playing MMS in NL400 and up. So as you can see it's possible :D
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.12.2010 Posts: 154
      Originally posted by jurish123
      every game is profitable, few days ago i found one player who's up 700k$ in sng. Found him on stars and also saw that he's playing 6max and hu with MSS and the biggest suprise was he's Supernova Elite and also he's up 100k$ by playing MMS in NL400 and up. So as you can see it's possible :D
      I know its possible; I cant see the logic. I played with 2 players today, 1. Nl100, He was super nova, He was playing 11 tables the ones I seen him buy into 40bb & 2, NL200 8 tables buy in for 50 bb. 300 hands VPIP 14. I dont see how at that stake, playing with 50bbs that tight he can be profitable over time. The other thing was neither one of them were on auto top up; both played with whatever stack was in front of them. I would think that anyone who could make a go of it with a short stack at a table where everyone else is playing 100+bb would be much better off playing with a 100 bb's instead of 40 or 50bb stacks.