[NL2-NL10] NL5 89o freeplay flop straight on monotone

• metza
      metza
      Bronze
      UTG+1 is solid reg, UTG is 50vpip fish so not too worried about his hand.

I can't fold a straight here right? I mean UTG+1 could be doing this easily with a flush draw+pair/2pair/set. The reason why I think maybe I could have got away from it is that he's almost never going to be calling the flop with 2pair/set/low flush which pretty much reduces his range to nut FD/nut flush.

Is it fine to just chalk it up as a cooler and move on, or could/should I have folded here?

PokerStars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP: $5.05
      CO: $12.68
      BTN: $5.20
      SB: $3.00
      Hero (BB): $5.00
      UTG: $3.56
      UTG+1: $8.71

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has 9:diamond: 8:heart:

UTG calls $0.05, UTG+1 calls $0.05, fold, fold, fold, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.20, 4 players) J:diamond: T:diamond: 7:diamond:
      SB bets $0.05, Hero raises to $0.35, UTG calls $0.35, UTG+1 calls $0.35, fold

Turn: ($1.30, 3 players) 4:spade:
      Hero bets $2.10, UTG raises to $3.16 and is all-in, UTG+1 raises to $5.45, Hero calls $2.50 and is all-in

River: ($13.66, 3 players) J:spade:

Hero shows 9:diamond: 8:heart: (Straight, Jack High) (Pre 41%, Flop 5%, Turn 2%)
      UTG+1 shows A:diamond: 2:diamond: (Flush, Ace High) (Pre 35%, Flop 95%, Turn 98%)
      UTG shows 5:diamond: 3:diamond: (Flush, Jack High) (Pre 24%, Flop 0%, Turn 0%)
      UTG+1 wins $13.09
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Metza,

Preflop: Can't really raise so checking is fine.

Flop: I can see us raising slightly bigger but other than that we have to really question our hand after we get cold called by two guys, one of which is a regular.

Between the two of them there's a good chance that one holds the flush already (we have 1 out to the best hand, 8d) so on the turn I would actually play bet/fold or even check/fold. I think our overbet is optimistic at best. I would bet more like $0.8 or so and go from there.

If UTG ships it and UTG+1 folds we may have an easier choice since he may do it with worse hands (but even that's a long shot).

Personally I think we overplayed our hand here significantly.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks, yeah I think I really didn't pay enough attention to the cold calls on the flop which the reg is almost never doing with 2pair/set/low flush.

However...

What about if we're reraised on the flop? Can we happily ship it as two pair/set will be trying to protect? Or still bet/folding or bet/calling flop because as I've only noticed in hindsight, reg has very few 2pair/sets in his UTG limping range, probably only 77 actually as he's probably gonna be raising JJ/TT and folding J7/T7, possibly has JTs in his range as he has 24VPIP and he's limping A2s UTG.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by metza
      Ok, thanks, yeah I think I really didn't pay enough attention to the cold calls on the flop which the reg is almost never doing with 2pair/set/low flush.

However...

What about if we're reraised on the flop? Can we happily ship it as two pair/set will be trying to protect? Or still bet/folding or bet/calling flop because as I've only noticed in hindsight, reg has very few 2pair/sets in his UTG limping range, probably only 77 actually as he's probably gonna be raising JJ/TT and folding J7/T7, possibly has JTs in his range as he has 24VPIP and he's limping A2s UTG.
      In such a limped pot where it's possible to have almost every combo of the flush I would raise/fold that flop even against the 60 BB stacks (without info on how light they like to go).