Gaining back confidence and motivation

• Rihard4a
      Hey guys,

At the moment I am suffering some sort of lack of confidence due to recent BR damage I had. Even though I am NL2 player still, I started finally to play decent enough to have profit often enough to build a bankroll and was couple steps away from moving to NL4. However, due to some negative advice (I know it is also partly my fault for listening to it) I just destroyed my roll in just 2 days. When I showed my graph to on player (won't mention who) he is said that I should move to NL4 now because I am beating my limit. And I as an idiot with 999% confidence because of recent good run said to my self, "hell yeah I can beat NL4 easy playing 4 tables," having hust 11BI for it. :f_mad: What a fool I was that I didn't think twice before I did it.

Now ladies and gentleman I have only 3BI for NL2. The amount I lost through NL2 I just lost in only 2 days at NL4. I get easily influenced by bad advice (the same as with good advice).

Now I don't know what to do. I start to make very stupid mistakes in my game because I want to regain my loss as quickly as possible, but it doesn't work like that you know.

How can I force my self forget that and gain back my confidence in the game and motivation? Don't get me wrong, I still like the game, but just I lost $40 in 2 days which was major part of my roll keeps destroying my mental game. I know for some of you $40 isn't much, but bare in mind I am NL2 player.

Maybe you guys could recommend any good psychological book related to poker? Because this is getting ridiculous. I can't even fold now TPTK when get raised/re-raised because I want to win the pot so bad. :f_confused: :f_cry:

• 11 replies
    • LedZayats
      I know your pain! Since I am also a microlimits player improving my game and I've had some pretty big (for my bankroll) downswings. I think the best you can do is take a few days off poker and focus on other activities until you feel that you can approach the game without focusing on your big loss. You should never play in a state of "I need to win it back as soon as possible".
    • Krist2ps
      Been there and not only once. What I did? I took a break for week or two, didn't think about poker at all. After that didn't play again straight away, but watched some videos, read some articles, blogs. And confidence and motivation was back.
      I know that many will suggest to take a break, but again - worked for me.

• gadget51
      Here are a couple of links to highly professional and regarded people who have heard it all before and will for sure be able to supply some help;

The quick guide to skyrocketing your (poker) productivity - COMPLETED!

+++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++

These situations are always difficult when you start out (and afterwards often as well), but if you think you may be susceptible to taking advice, I suggest you at least take it from renowned sources such as those above.

I hope I have helped but if you need any further information don't hesitate to ask, someone here will always know something and be willing to help out.

Best regards,

• gxtwo
      First of all, why didn't you move back down when you lost 2-3BI at nl4?

When you're moving up, you need to have a plan, for example 2BI shot, if you lose, move back down and rebuild.

I don't think gaining motivation is the problem. Just keep studying, posting hands for evaluation, watching videos. And even just starting threads to ask questions. Or ask questions on other peoples hands that have been evaluated.

The more you keep learning, your skill and knowledge will grow. You confidence will follow
    • Loreit
      I play SnG (mainly DoN) and I haven't had any major downswings but when loosing a few in a row I analyze them. IF I would have played the same again, and it is the right decisions, then it only makes me happy. This will be a win in the long run.

Actually yesterday I got happy, loosing QQ against 55 preflop. Those players going all in preflop with 55 is the players who will sponsor my winnings in the long run, so I'm happy that they exist. He hit two more 5's on the flop an most certainly got happy with his play.

In other situations I loose going all in the wrong situations. I just have to analyze those plays and conclude that there is a lot to learn. But then I have to find my weak spots and change my strategy.

DoN has less variance, but If I were to loose a few BI then I would not play more that day until I got confirmed that my play was correct in those tournaments.
    • DecMate
      I say deposit more an play at least NL10. But I guess if you can't beat NL2 that wouldn't be wise.

I say forgot about the money - epecially at these limits the money doesn't mean a thing. Just play 4-6 tables of what ever your playing and play the game for playing the game. Have no motive in mind - just play your cards and focus each session.

Personally if I walk away from a session knowning I played my best game I honestly don't care what I've won or lost (a bit of a lie, being up is always sweet :D )

But as I said at these smallest limits it's just learning to play a solid game, and most of all enjoy yourself! Sucess follows happiness :f_biggrin:
    • acetbfish
      As gtwo said, you should have a proper plan to make these shots at NL4 (moving down to NL2 if you lose 2 buyins or something like that). Aggresive bankroll management is difficult and you must have the proper mindset to follow it.

Now, since you are saying that you are winning NL2, I believe that you should deposit some money(even $30 I believe is enough for NL2) to keep playing NL2 and focus on improving your game. You'll find enough confidence and motivation if you are winning and just move up again when you feel you are confident enough to do it.
    • Rihard4a
      The thing is that I can't even beat NL2 anymore after that shot at NL4... Ready to kill my self.
    • Rihard4a
      And I keep a solid game though, and for some reason now I am really card dead. My VPIP droped to 19% from 35% playing SH. And when I get AA or KK I lose them.
    • Schnitzelfisch

if you write a good vision statement from the step 1 of my productivity guide and review it frequently, you should have plenty of motivation and confidence :) .

• farbwenz
      similar here, 6 BI left^^ keep me updated whether you make it back to a decent BR. otherwise, how many hours did you play, how much did you deposit for that?

For me it was like:

Civilization IV: 50€ "deposit", 200h of fun
      Terraria: 5$, 100 h of fun
      Poker: 100$, 1000(?) h of fun
      Diablo III: 50$, 100 h of frustration

which one is the best deal?;)
      Seen from that perspective, it does not matter whether you have to deposit a bit of money to give ur BR a little boost once in a while. You would no longer play with scared money, and would not be desperate for a win anymore. If I'll go bust, I will definetly deposit again. and if you don't like depositing, there are also a lot of freerolls^^