[NL2-NL10] 3-bet when mined a set?

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP1: $2.14 (107 bb)
      MP2: $1.50 (75 bb)
      Hero (MP3): $3.79 (189.5 bb)
      CO: $1.48 (74 bb)
      BTN: $0.77 (38.5 bb)
      SB: $1.48 (74 bb)
      BB: $1.58 (79 bb)
      UTG+1: $1.25 (62.5 bb)
      UTG+2: $2.09 (104.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T T
      UTG+1 raises to $0.06, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.06, 3 folds, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.19) 3 7 T (3 players)
      BB bets $0.10, UTG+1 raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1.19?

Am I scaring him off with a 3-bet? I think I should. I thought he might have a draw (so I was protecting my set), but as always I forgot to consider his range :f_mad:

Finally, should I always 3-bet pot-size (like here), or I can 3-bet less in some cases (when?)

Thanks!
  • 5 replies
    • nokifpp
      nokifpp
      Bronze
      Preflop: You raise, calling in this situation doesnt make much sence to me
      Flop: I would not reraise here looking at the stack sizes, you can get value on later streets since he will most likely not fold his overpair and will keep betting.

In similar spots I think pot bet is not wrong as you want to get as much value from your hand. ( You both have around 100BB stacks)
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

A few considerations here
      1) Stack sizes? They are short so we can always raise on a later street and allow them to put in more money first
      2) Texture? I'm not even sure why you mentioned draws. The board is really dry, sure there are a couple of straight draws here and there but in the grand scheme of things, he rarely has a draw. And most of them are gutshots and not OESDs so I'm not going to be too concerned about them.

I call and raise most turns
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nokifpp
      Preflop: You raise, calling in this situation doesnt make much sence to me
      Flop: I would not reraise here looking at the stack sizes, you can get value on later streets since he will most likely not fold his overpair and will keep betting.

In similar spots I think pot bet is not wrong as you want to get as much value from your hand. ( You both have around 100BB stacks)
      Agree with the flop part. I just didn't pay attention to his stack.

Disagree with preflop :) Raising doesn't make much sense to me. Moreover, it seems like a suicide. He's raising from UTG+1 (!). If he's a good player, my equity is only 34% against his range.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      @nokifpp:

3betting here doesn't make any sense. He raised in early position so his range is tight here. TT is too weak to 3bet, and too strong to fold. So the only option here is to call. We can sometimes play it for showdown value, and we also have some set value. If we 3bet and he 4bets, what are we going to do? probably folding, but it's a waste of such a strong hand.

I also don't think we are getting value from too many worse hands, unless you know that stuff like 78s or 22-99 are never folding to our bet.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Thanks guys.

mbml, yeah, I know, that what I was saying by "I always forget to consider his range" :f_frown: The board is dry. I hope I'll start to understand this faster than 5 hours after the session one day...