Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $13.69
      Hero (SB): $10.05
      BB: $10.62
      UTG: $6.02
      CO: $10.00

Hero posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has J:heart: J:spade:

fold, CO raises to $0.30, fold, Hero raises to $1.00, fold, CO calls $0.70

Flop: ($2.10, 2 players) 8:diamond: 4:club: 3:heart:
      Hero bets $1.50, CO calls $1.50

Turn: ($5.10, 2 players) K:heart:
      Hero bets $2.80, fold

Hero wins $4.76

Same villain as in the AA hand, 14/12 over ~1.2k hands.

Cbet on the flop is pretty standard imo. He could call with some worse overpairs, and would probably have 4bet KK+ pre flop, so he basically could have QQ that would beat me pre flop, and I suppose sometimes KK/AA if he decided to slowplay them, but I don't see him doing that too often.

On the turn I decided to fire again. Not sure I really like it though. I'm basically forcing all hands that I beat. I suppose I could make QQ fold on this turn card, but that's about it. I guess the reason I went for a bet was the fact that I was out of position, and didn't really want to check/call or check/fold, so I went for a bet/fold.

Not quite sure it was the right play here though.
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi,

QQ probably never folds. I think you could argue for a Turn check and River bet against a bad TAG.

Though vs a looser opponent who is more of a disbeliever I would definitely bet Turn check River cos people expect you to bluff the King very often.

As to whether c/c or c/f, it's hard to say.

1) Does he bet 99/TT when checked to? or 98s? (does he even have many 8X when he's such a nit?)
      2) Does he float flop with AQ or AJ and then bluff turn? Seems unlikely when he's a nit.

At the same time I don't think he reps much if he bets the Turn. Probably only 88 and AK (which should 4bet a lot), and I doubt he floats KQ on the Flop.

So it's close between c/c and c/f.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      I certainly think he is capable of betting 99-TT when I check it to him. He's aggressive enough to do that.

Like you said, I highly doubt he's ever floating A high here. He seems way too tight for that (he honestly probably even folds AJ pre).

So in that case, would it be better to check/call the turn here, and then evaluate on the river? Say we go for a check/call, what would our plan on the river be? Bet if he checks back the turn, and check/call or check/fold if he bets the turn?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I probably just c/c T and c/f R. If he checks Turn i would assume i have the best hand and bet R myself.