[NL2-NL10] NL 10 KK vs a squeeze

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Coach note:
      The hand is pretty standard, please evaluate my thought process.
      This is the way I would have played this hand at NL 2 or NL 4
      Is it still correct at NL 10 or is there a better way?
      What about higher limits?

Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

CO: $10.15 (101.5 bb)
      BTN: $14.55 (145.5 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $11.57 (115.7 bb)
      MP: $10 (100 bb)
      SB: $18.90 (189 bb)
      BB: $9.91 (99.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K K
      Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.30, SB raises to $1, BB folds, Hero raises to $11.57 and is all-in, BTN folds, SB calls $10.57

Thought Process
      No meaningful stats.

The choices are:
      1.  Call. This might keep the BTN in the hand
      2.  4Bet 3x or 4x May or may not isolate the squeezer
      3.  4Bet shove -- may cause the squeezer to fold

I did not want to play in a 3-way pot against players who -- judging by their stack sizes -- know what they're doing. My equity is good, but in a 3-way pot, I'm going to have a hard time with very wet boards, Axx boards and so on vs 2 players if one of them gets frisky post flop.

I thought about 4Betting 3x or 4x
      3x might induce a shove -- I'm OK with that -- I would snap call.
      4x is over 1/3 my stack, so I may as well shove, since a CBet will be near pot-size anyway.

So I shoved -- what tipped the scale is that post flop, I'm OOP

Flop: ($23.54) J 4 T (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($23.54) 7 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($23.54) 6 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $23.54 pot ($1 rake)
      Final Board: J 4 T 7 6
      Hero showed K K and won $22.54 ($10.97 net)
      SB showed A K and lost (-$11.57 net)
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Vorpal,

At 2-4nl you rarely 4-bet bluff (and unless we expect people to 5-bet jam as a bluff/weaker hands) the 4-bet size doesn't matter that much.

I would say that at 10nl we can start 4-betting as a bluff (besides 4-bet for value) so shoving is not the best move in a spot where 4bet bluffs can be possible.

A default 4-bet size is usually between 22-25 BBs (depending on 3-bet size/dead-money). If you 4-bet too big (like 3x or 30BB) you normally don't change anything in villains range. Their bluffs would still fold/shove and their value hands would go with the hand (call/shove).

Thus by making our 4-bet smaller we save money when we bluff while not affecting our value hands much at all.

4-bet shoving may be good in spots where villain may think you only do this with AK/AQ type hands and starts to call you like with pairs that he 3-bet. But I wouldn't assume this based on the info we have.

And if we 4-bet and we get called it's not the end of the world because we have a great hand in a big pot (with low SPR).