This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL 10 KK vs a squeeze

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Coach note:
      The hand is pretty standard, please evaluate my thought process.
      This is the way I would have played this hand at NL 2 or NL 4
      Is it still correct at NL 10 or is there a better way?
      What about higher limits?

Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

CO: $10.15 (101.5 bb)
      BTN: $14.55 (145.5 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $11.57 (115.7 bb)
      MP: $10 (100 bb)
      SB: $18.90 (189 bb)
      BB: $9.91 (99.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K K
      Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.30, SB raises to $1, BB folds, Hero raises to $11.57 and is all-in, BTN folds, SB calls $10.57

Thought Process
      No meaningful stats.

The choices are:
      1.  Call. This might keep the BTN in the hand
      2.  4Bet 3x or 4x May or may not isolate the squeezer
      3.  4Bet shove -- may cause the squeezer to fold

I did not want to play in a 3-way pot against players who -- judging by their stack sizes -- know what they're doing. My equity is good, but in a 3-way pot, I'm going to have a hard time with very wet boards, Axx boards and so on vs 2 players if one of them gets frisky post flop.

I thought about 4Betting 3x or 4x
      3x might induce a shove -- I'm OK with that -- I would snap call.
      4x is over 1/3 my stack, so I may as well shove, since a CBet will be near pot-size anyway.

So I shoved -- what tipped the scale is that post flop, I'm OOP

Flop: ($23.54) J 4 T (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($23.54) 7 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($23.54) 6 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $23.54 pot ($1 rake)
      Final Board: J 4 T 7 6
      Hero showed K K and won $22.54 ($10.97 net)
      SB showed A K and lost (-$11.57 net)
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Vorpal,

At 2-4nl you rarely 4-bet bluff (and unless we expect people to 5-bet jam as a bluff/weaker hands) the 4-bet size doesn't matter that much.

I would say that at 10nl we can start 4-betting as a bluff (besides 4-bet for value) so shoving is not the best move in a spot where 4bet bluffs can be possible.

A default 4-bet size is usually between 22-25 BBs (depending on 3-bet size/dead-money). If you 4-bet too big (like 3x or 30BB) you normally don't change anything in villains range. Their bluffs would still fold/shove and their value hands would go with the hand (call/shove).

Thus by making our 4-bet smaller we save money when we bluff while not affecting our value hands much at all.

4-bet shoving may be good in spots where villain may think you only do this with AK/AQ type hands and starts to call you like with pairs that he 3-bet. But I wouldn't assume this based on the info we have.

And if we 4-bet and we get called it's not the end of the world because we have a great hand in a big pot (with low SPR).