$66.68
      BB:
      $72.95
      MP2:
      $63.95
      MP3:
      $50.10

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, 9.
      3 folds, BU calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.50, BB raises to $6.50, BU folds.

Final Pot: $9.5.

BU fish 61/17

BB 1.5k hands
      21/18/8.8
      3bet vs SB 14%

I always have mixed feelings regarding BB range in this kind of spot. Since I am isolating fish OOP should I expect to get more respect from BB? Or should I assume he could be very wide anyways? Should he call a little wider to keep donkey in the pot?
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I don't think you can expect more respesct.. obviously he doesn't respect your raises or anyone else's.

You should take each player individually, not just a 'standard BB reg'. Keep track of how often this happens, add some 4bet bluffs when it happens often, complete more instead of trying to isolate. By definition, an isolation raise is made to get keep one player in and others out. If you cannot do that, you are no longer isolating, you are just raising and 'stuff happens afterwards' more or less. Since you cannot isolate prepare for that 'stuff' (stuff can be 3bet, getting light calls, etc.)

With an aggro BB I think completing is a valid option you can use often with quite a few hands. Maybe it sounds weird but I think it would make sense to complete your medium to strong-ish hands that can limp/call and raise a polarized range so to speak... hands you can't really play vs BB anyway if he 3bets and hands you can 4bet (not always for value). I don't encounter this spot too often because I don't get many BU limpers so would be interested in your thoughts on this. :)
    • double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      I don't think you can expect more respesct.. obviously he doesn't respect your raises or anyone else's.

You should take each player individually, not just a 'standard BB reg'. Keep track of how often this happens, add some 4bet bluffs when it happens often, complete more instead of trying to isolate. By definition, an isolation raise is made to get keep one player in and others out. If you cannot do that, you are no longer isolating, you are just raising and 'stuff happens afterwards' more or less. Since you cannot isolate prepare for that 'stuff' (stuff can be 3bet, getting light calls, etc.)

With an aggro BB I think completing is a valid option you can use often with quite a few hands. Maybe it sounds weird but I think it would make sense to complete your medium to strong-ish hands that can limp/call and raise a polarized range so to speak... hands you can't really play vs BB anyway if he 3bets and hands you can 4bet (not always for value). I don't encounter this spot too often because I don't get many BU limpers so would be interested in your thoughts on this. :)
      Hmm, I really never thought about overlimp/call with goodish hands but I think I really dislike it. :) First we give him the option to check and we are going to see flop vs 2 oop and I really wanna make the fish pay for his wide limp range. And even if he does raise and we have, say, AJo, it's really not a great spot, whether the fish flats or not. With AJ I might as well Isolate and flat vs his 3bet...
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      AJo plays very bad OOP in a 3bet pot. If you want to raise/call start with suited hands. The idea of punishing the fish for limping wide is OK but you have to decide how are you going to do that. You don't punish the fish by spewing to BB. Also in your favour is having a stronger than expected complete /call range against aggro BB. He will vbet too thinly quite often and also bluff.

You can obviously play it standard and raise a lot, 4bet bluff a light sometimes, stack off a bit wider if necessary. This is standard though and unlikely to force mistakes.