Micro Madness!

• hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      EDIT: This blog is now not in use, I've moved on to HU SnGs. New blog.

Hey everyone,

My name's David (although I'm universally called Hendo due to my second name being Henderson, this is fine by me), I'm 21 years old and I'm from the UK, Liverpool to be exact. Through this blog I'm hoping to gain some insight into my poker game, both from myself and hopefully from others too.

This is pretty much the standard "I have a sub-200 bankroll, gonna grind micro cash games and see what happens" blog, I'm definitely hoping to move up limits over time though, and analysing and improving my own game is a huge part of that of course :P My current bankroll is $84.82, which even for NL2 I appreciate is a little low, but I've ground this roll up from about $35 and I'm fairly confident that I can continue grinding it up to the next limit.

I'm going to set myself weekly targets, and I'm going to post what I feel were my best/worst/most interesting hands of the week, write about the lines I took in them and my reasons why, and if anyone reading any of these posts would play the hand in a way that they feel is a better play, I would very much appreciate hearing it, as I know full well that I still have a whole lot to learn, and feedback from other players will really help me with that. If over time I do work my way up the money tree, I may start setting long term goals for myself, but for now I'll focus on these weekly targets.

I'm planning to make a staple post every Friday with my profit graph for that week, my targets and whether or not I met them, the hands of the week as mentioned above, and my targets for the coming week. I will try to make a couple of other posts per week in between these Fridays just writing about how things are going, upswings, downswings, coolers for and against, the usual stuff :P

I'm setting my initial BR rules as making sure I have 50 BIs for my current level before moving up, as opposed to the 40 I've seen suggested before, and to move down a limit if I drop below 20 BIs for my current limit. This is for two reasons: firstly, I currently 4-table, so to take a precaution against the unlikely but possible scenario of me losing all-in bets on more than one of those tables and then having to grind back up again from the lower limit, I'd rather just give myself that cushion to absorb any possible swings like that. Secondly, I sometimes tilt quite badly, this is something I'm working to address and something that will often be part of my targets to try to reduce and hopefully some day eliminate entirely.

My only point of discontent about this blog is that I already have a full-time job, so I won't really be able to put in as much volume as I'd like to. However, I'm going to initally try for 2k hands per week (assuming a 5-day work week), and increase this if I have less shifts that week, or if I'm consistently getting more hands in per week over several weeks than my target. This number will likely increase as the weeks go by, but hey, I'm starting small :P

Week 1

Bankroll

Current bankroll: $84.82

Targets

:diamond: Play at least 2k hands this week (NL2 of course).

:diamond: Make a note of good/bad/interesting hands to post for next week, and get used to doing so.

:diamond: Try to reduce tilt, if it does happen, write about it, what caused it, what hands it caused me to play differently.

:diamond: Try to identify a leak in my game. This is something I may be able to work on fixing for a target next week.

I look forward to sharing my experiences, and hopefully hearing from others too :) Good luck at the tables!
  • 88 replies
    • nokifpp
      nokifpp
      Bronze
      Hello David!

Will be following :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Good luck David!

Following also :)
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Wow, I wasn't expecting to have people following before I'd even started playing! Thanks very much for the support :D

Played a session yesterday, ~400 hands, intend to get some more in today. Very much a session of two halves, after ~250 hands I was -$5 mainly due to three pots, one of which was a cooler (TT vs AA, set over set on the flop), two of which I lost due to getting outflopped BUT then not having the discipline to fold against aggression.

Terrible hand 1:

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $2 (100 bb)
      BB: $1.09 (54.5 bb)
      UTG+2: $1.63 (81.5 bb)
      MP1: $2.06 (103 bb)
      Hero (MP2): $5.61 (280.5 bb)
      MP3: $1.61 (80.5 bb)
      CO: $2 (100 bb)
      BTN: $4.97 (248.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q Q
      UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, 5 folds, MP1 calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.19) 8 2 A (2 players)
      MP1 bets $0.38, Hero raises to $0.76, MP1 raises to $1.14, Hero raises to $5.53, MP1 calls $0.84 and is all-in

Turn: ($4.15) T (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($4.15) 4 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $4.15 pot ($0.15 rake)
      Final Board: 8 2 A T 4
      MP1 showed 2 A and won $4 ($1.94 net)
      Hero showed Q Q and won $0.00 (-$2.06 net)

This villain here is pretty aggro both preflop and postflop, so when he leads out here I think the raise by me is fine and gets him to lay down any non-Ax hand. But when he re-raises I should have the discipline to fold here, even as I was stacking off against him I was expecting to see him with an A here, and just I ended up throwing more money down the drain.

Terrible hand 2:

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players

MP2: $0.84 (42 bb)
      MP3: $1.68 (84 bb)
      CO: $1.01 (50.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $5.32 (266 bb)
      SB: $0.80 (40 bb)
      BB: $2.05 (102.5 bb)
      MP1: $4.95 (247.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A J
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, SB folds, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.13) T 9 J (2 players)
      BB bets $0.07, Hero raises to $0.14, BB raises to $0.27, Hero raises to $0.60, BB calls $0.33

Turn: ($1.33) K (2 players)
      BB bets $0.85, Hero raises to $1.70, BB calls $0.54 and is all-in

River: ($4.11) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $4.11 pot ($0.14 rake)
      Final Board: T 9 J K 9
      Hero mucked A J and won $0.00 (-$2.05 net)
      BB showed Q T and won $3.97 ($1.92 net)

Villain here isn't too tight, isn't really loose either, could have any broadway hand here, K/Q/Jx perhaps also. Looking back at it my first raise is to try to give the villain a bad price to try to complete their straight (unless they already have it, in which case that's just bad luck) so the minraise by me here is bad, having taken that line I think I should either be flatting his reraise and then folding if the turn hits his range, or just folding to the reraise then and there. I should be folding the turn because he might as well turn his Q face up here and even if he's donking around with Kx he still has me beat here.

These two hands have at least done some good in that they've shown a huge leak I need to address: folding when I'm likely to be behind, even if my hand is beating my opponent's range preflop. This is really down to being disciplined and trusting my own judgement, being able to accept having made the right decision without needing to see my opponent's cards. I'm definitely going to work on driving this out of my game.

:diamond: :diamond: :diamond:

However, it wasn't all doom and gloom, as in the space of 150 hands, I managed to work my way out of my losses and ended the session +$0.85! A combination of playing well, not playing stupidly like I had earlier, and undoubtedly not a small amount of running good :P

So, a leak exposed which I intend to address, a small profit, and lastly, I earned enough VPP to release the first $10 of my deposit bonus! Not a bad first session after all :)

Current bankroll: $95.67 (+$10.85)

Weekly high: $95.67
      Weekly low:: $79.81
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Why on earth are you reraising, in particular such a small reraise on an Axx board w possible flush draw, you were giving any fd excellent odds to continue in the hand and no Ax was folding on NL2.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      The second hand is just as horrible, no need to go broke on such an ugly board, I'd do everything possible to keep the pot small (call behind) and there would be no shame on folding on that turn, you're not beating anything with AJ on that board.
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      I know that I played them terribly, I'm not trying to claim I got sucked out on, I know I should have folded both hands way before the pots got as big as they did :P

Reraise on the first hand is too small now that you mention it, I hadn't noticed at the time.

Second hand I think calling behind is fine and reraising is also fine (although again I made it too small!), but I agree it gets ugly when he raises again, maybe keeping the pot small here is the better option as you say.
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Quick update, having some nice sessions, still occasionally making mistakes in that I'm either raising villain's flop bets with weak holdings (usually TP), or calling/raising villains who raise my flop bet and I have weak holdings (again usually TP). In both cases I usually target players who are playing too many hands to make these light raises with, but I sometimes run into trouble, I just don't know if it's because my logic is flawed, or it's a good idea and they just happen to have me beat this time. I have a few hands where I've made these plays and lost, and a few where I've made them and won, I'll post a few up come the weekly update and any analysis from anyone reading this thread would be very much appreciated. This is probably by number 1 priority to improve upon.

Up to 1.5k hands played now and showing $9.65 profit plus my $10 deposit bonus, long may it continue :P

Current bankroll: $104.47 (+$19.65)

Weekly high: $107.03
    • CookieCCFC
      CookieCCFC
      Bronze
      Good luck Hendo.

And remember, a mistake is only a mistake if you make it twice.
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Just another quick check-in :) Up to 2.5k hands played this week now, and still turning a nice little profit from them :) I'm going to be posting my weekly roundup tomorrow rather than on Friday as I'll be away and likely won't be able to post it, and I'd rather get it up here tomorrow rather than Saturday.

Main reason for this post is because I just made a pretty big laydown in my last session and I'm not sure if it was a good one or not, so I thought I'd post it up here while it's fresh in my mind.

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players

MP2: $1.86 (93 bb)
      MP3: $2.09 (104.5 bb)
      CO: $3.02 (151 bb)
      BTN: $2.05 (102.5 bb)
      SB: $1.93 (96.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.03 (251.5 bb)
      MP1: $3.10 (155 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T T
      4 folds, BTN raises to $0.04, SB folds, Hero calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.09) 6 J T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.09) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.06, BTN raises to $2.01 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results:
      $0.21 pot ($0.01 rake)
      Final Board: 6 J T Q
      BTN mucked and won $0.20 ($0.10 net)
      Hero mucked T T and lost (-$0.10 net)

Villain is 17/12. I check the flop initially because the villain has 100% cbet so I'm looking to either c/r his cbet, or just flat it, depending on the size of the bet, but it backfires on me as you can see when he checks behind :f_o: I bet the turn and hope I can draw some value out of the villain's Qx Jx hands, but then he shoves over the top of me. Given the line, I think he's likely to have AK here, QQ+ should bet the flop here, JJ doesn't really make sense to just spew all over the place like that at the sight of a straight draw. The only hands I can beat that I think he can have here are any 2 pairs with a Q (Q6/QT/QJ), or a straight draw with two hearts perhaps (Kxs most likely).

Do you think this is probably a good fold here? And do you think the line I took on the flop was sound, or should I have bet out at it?

Current bankroll: $112.81 (+$27.99)

Weekly high: $112.81
    • luckyme44
      luckyme44
      Bronze
      SNAP CALL!
    • MonaiPlox
      MonaiPlox
      Bronze
      Im calling this with :D If he had a real hand he would try to extract money from you somehow, not jam turn like that. Every time i see this play and call, they show naked draws :f_love: and im talkin about nl10, at nl2 its a lightening fast call :P
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      I guess he could be drawing here rather than have the made straight, I've seen it happen before. But I've also seen people do this and show the nuts, I know it's a terrible play to jam with the nuts but bad players will do just that sometimes.

I'm really on the fence about this hand :P If the villain's PFR was higher I'd probably snap this but as it is I really can't decide.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CookieCCFC
      Good luck Hendo.

And remember, a mistake is only a mistake if you make it twice.
      I like this :)
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Weekly Roundup!

Had my first bad session last night :f_frown: Had 3 big pots where I ended up stacking off with the following:

K7 vs 66 (open limped) on 6d 7h Kh, put villain on KQ/KJ or a draw.

JJ vs KK (I opened, he 3bet, I called) on 898. I probably could have gotten away from this but it's tough to fold an overpair.

QQ vs TT (he called my 3bet) on 4KT69, he slowplayed it just calling me off til the river, then reraised me. Standard.

I addition I donked off another 2 fairly big pots with stupid calls where I was never going to be ahead, no doubt I was tilting a fair bit. End of the session I was down almost two BIs.

This morning I found my game again and managed to claw back $3.59, so good to say I'm not on some downward spiral started by this bad session :P But it's reminded me that despite having had a good week overall, I'm still very susceptible to tilt if I start losing. This is something I need to nip in the bud for certain.

Last week's targets

:diamond: Play at least 2k hands this week (NL2 of course).
      Played 3324 hands total, not bad :f_cool:

:diamond: Make a note of good/bad/interesting hands to post for next week, and get used to doing so.
      I've posted some of these hands already, I'll do a few more here.

:diamond: Try to reduce tilt, if it does happen, write about it, what caused it, what hands it caused me to play differently.
      I'm going to put this down as failed because although I am aware that I tilted in last night's session, I didn't do anything to try to prevent it at the time.

:diamond: Try to identify a leak in my game. This is something I may be able to work on fixing for a target next week.
      I need to work on postflop raises, spots where I can use them to extract value without scaring my opponent away, and also how much respect to give my opponents' postflop raises on a player-by-player basis.

Targets for next week

:diamond: Play at least 2k hands this week.

:diamond: If at any point I make a play that I am unable to justify logically, stop playing immediately and take a break. Tilt must be quashed :P

:diamond: Consider what would be a good bankroll to move up to NL5, since the max BIs are a little weird at these levels.

Current bankroll: $106.53 (+$21.71)

Weekly high: $112.81

Weekly winrate: 17.6 bb/100

:diamond: :diamond: :diamond:

Folding a FH

MP2: $0.94 (47 bb)
      MP3: $0.89 (44.5 bb)
      CO: $3.82 (191 bb)
      BTN: $1.45 (72.5 bb)
      Hero (SB): $7.84 (392 bb)
      BB: $5 (250 bb)
      UTG+2: $2 (100 bb)
      MP1: $2.19 (109.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A T
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.12) K K T (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.06, BB calls $0.06

Turn: ($0.24) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

River: ($0.44) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, BB raises to $1.60, Hero folds

Results:
      $1.04 pot ($0.04 rake)
      Final Board: K K T 7 T
      Hero mucked A T and lost (-$0.52 net)
      BB mucked and won $1.00 ($0.48 net)

After calling my cbet I'm either beaten by his Kx, ahead of his Tx, or he's drawing with QJ. I should bet the turn here really because it forces QJ to make a bad call to continue and gets value from Tx. When the T comes on the river of course, any Tx he has catches up with mine, but I'm fairly comfortable with my FH so I fire a bet, only to have a huge overbet come back at me. I've already made it clear to him I have a hand by betting the river so I can only see this happening with a K or T in his hand and I think it's going to be a K a lot of the time here, So I end up folding this. Never laid down a FH before :f_eek:

AA vs fish a.k.a. why I never know if I should give my opponents raises respect or not

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players

MP2: $0.94 (47 bb)
      MP3: $0.89 (44.5 bb)
      CO: $3.82 (191 bb)
      BTN: $3.04 (152 bb)
      SB: $1.46 (73 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5 (250 bb)
      UTG+1: $5.70 (285 bb)
      UTG+2: $2 (100 bb)
      MP1: $2.19 (109.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A A
      6 folds, BTN raises to $0.06, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.18, BTN calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.37) 8 4 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.26, BTN raises to $0.52, Hero raises to $1, BTN calls $0.48

Turn: ($2.37) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.14, BTN raises to $1.86 and is all-in, Hero calls $0.72

River: ($6.09) 4 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $6.09 pot ($0.21 rake)
      Final Board: 8 4 4 2 4
      BTN showed 7 7 and lost (-$3.04 net)
      Hero showed A A and won $5.88 ($2.84 net)

Aggrofish, 69/22. Can't really fold in spite of the mad action, and if he has 88, 22 or something ridiculous like A4 then so be it.

Make sure you're not drinking anything when you look at what he has

Hero (UTG+2): $5.82 (291 bb)
      MP1: $1.60 (80 bb)
      MP2: $1.42 (71 bb)
      MP3: $0.31 (15.5 bb)
      CO: $2.31 (115.5 bb)
      BTN: $1.06 (53 bb)
      SB: $1.98 (99 bb)
      BB: $2.74 (137 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 2 2
      Hero calls $0.02, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $0.04, 5 folds, Hero calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.11) 7 3 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, MP2 raises to $0.16, Hero calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.43) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, MP2 raises to $0.60, Hero raises to $1.22, MP2 calls $0.62 and is all-in

River: ($2.87) 3 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $2.87 pot ($0.10 rake)
      Final Board: 7 3 2 Q 3
      Hero showed 2 2 and won $2.77 ($1.35 net)
      MP2 showed 9 A and lost (-$1.42 net)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      That last hand must have made you feel very good :f_biggrin:

I think it's good you're trying to get tilt out of your game, and I'll wish you the best of luck with it!
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      It sure did :f_biggrin: Yeah I really do need to work hard to keep on top of tilt.

I only went and forgot to post the bloody graph didn't I?

Dat red line.
    • MonaiPlox
      MonaiPlox
      Bronze
      about red line

Clearly you sacrificed your showdown winnings to have positive red line and in fact you lose money doing that.
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Nice thread that. Not sure I agree about sacrificing my showdown winnings for the red line though, I steal pretty frequently when the blinds are tight and I'll cbet flops where my opponent is likely to fold. It's coincidence that my red line goes up a bit as I happen to have a bad session :p
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MonaiPlox
      about red line

Clearly you sacrificed your showdown winnings to have positive red line and in fact you lose money doing that.
      isnt true at all..

The reason people say ignore your red line is because at NL2 you shouldn't be bluffing (as much) therefore you are folding allot more air, therefore losing without showdown.