found my biggest leak now how do i fix it

• johny8984
      johny8984
      Bronze
      Ok so I found my biggest leak and whilst this may sound like a rant I assure u its not

So I'm fine untill I get raised 3bet or during the hand doesn't really matter I seem to go mad almost as if I'm deluded into thinking no one is allowed to take something from me .... and then I spazz that raise button seems to shout at me saying shove all in he's got nothing... so I take a look at villians stats there saying don't do it AF less than one vpip he's a nit or rock I know I know stats say fold ....

But then there's light at the end of the tunnel there's a possible flush draw.... that's it that's what he's raising me with.Right then fish I'm all in I have top pair (sometimes... no let's get this right fairly often I have worse) arrrrhhhh damit ....... he did have a set after all

Well played p%&£k keep my stack warm ... or a least spend it wisely

So I know what my biggest leak is but how do I stop my self from pressing that button any help tips advice would not only help me but save me a fortune ... well an nl5 fortune anyway

Ps I am beating the games but with an incredable small win rate (fullring games)
  • 22 replies
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by johny8984
      But then there's light at the end of the tunnel there's a possible flush draw.... that's it that's what he's raising me with.

u really expect rocks and nits to raise draws? :)
    • johny8984
      johny8984
      Bronze
      lol yeah i know if i had been drinking heavily all day and high on some not so legal substances my actions may be excusable but im sober need to plug this leak really

having a break from the tables today i guess i posted this thread to help me acknowledge that it is a big leak and that i need to stop it, just had a look threw my last 3k hands and realized that these calls/raises have cost me around $22..... oop's thats quite a bit for nl5 over 5 k hands

zumpar nice to see you posting in my thread ive been following your blog gl at the tables all
    • jenoc
      jenoc
      Bronze
      IMHO
      On micros the best weapon is bet/folding hands like top pair, second pair, some weak two pairs. Ofc. not always but against players who seem to be decent. 12/10 guy usually won't raise draws simply because most of the time he just won't have any.

All this super IMHO but kinda works for me, gl.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Move up to where they respect your raise.
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      Seriously ?????

If everything tells you that you are beat then fold and feel good about it simples.

If its a really big fold and I cant do it I just time out its easier ;-)
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by johny8984minutes with some heavy

lol yeah i know if i had been drinking heavily all day and high on some not so legal substances my actions may be excusable but im sober need to plug this leak really
      yeah thats usually not a good idea to play @ the same time :D

i remember some time ago, i came home wasted as shit at 6am and felt a sudden urge to play poker..... could barely see the screen and ended up dropping almost 5bi's in like 15 minutes with some huge bluffs with pure air big and hero calls. :facepalm:

and yeah, timing out helps a lot if u know ur beat but u just cant fold
    • johny8984
      johny8984
      Bronze
      thanks for all the advice i'm pretty sure that ill be able to plug this leak i just need to acknowledge the problem :f_frown:

i also noticed that the thread has been given a thumbs down for some reason could anyone tell me why this would be ???

if i have offended anyone i'm really sorry not my intention, if it was the reference to illegal substances i'm also sorry i don't take part in anyway of illegal substances... but i do drink a ton of beer at the weekends :P (i dont play poker drunk that was an expensive lesson... it was also my first shot at nl600)

if its just because someone thinks this thread is a waste of time... well maybe it is, but i don't believe it to be the case i am wanting to acknowledge the problem i'm facing and this is a part of that process.

i'm rambling on now so ill end it here johny8984 out

EDIT iv'e found the icon for thumbs down it was myself that had done it i'm such a noob with forums sorry :f_cool:
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by zumpar
      Originally posted by johny8984
      But then there's light at the end of the tunnel there's a possible flush draw.... that's it that's what he's raising me with.

u really expect rocks and nits to raise draws? :)
      And even if you do your top pair only has like 50% equity if they have overcard or a gutter to go with it. Your actually a dog against some combo draws with just TPTK.
    • johny8984
      johny8984
      Bronze
      MatejM47 thanks for pointing this out just done a few equity calculations based on what you've said and yeah i didn't realize that some of these situations really are a lot worse than i thought will be looking deeper into this...

also does anyone know of any videos off the top of their head about being raised in a pot??
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      I gave your thread a thumbs up 10 rating.
    • johny8984
      johny8984
      Bronze
      w34z3l many thanks for the thumbs up

i'm intending to become a bigger part of this community as you can see i registered 4 days after you and our post count difference is massive iv'e er been lurking on the forums but not really getting involved just got back in to poker really after a long break due to other commitments i have beaten these limits before and ill hopefully do it again
    • feursturm
      feursturm
      Bronze
      Had that leak myself johny and took me a while to realise that people don't bluff as much as you think at this level...so it's good that you have come to realise it :)

Follow jenoc's advice for the micros and you wont go far wrong...you might be bluffed off a hand sometimes but in the long run it's going to be more profitable to bet/fold if they play back at you..use any reads you have of course when deciding..but if they have any way decent stats be very cautious...even if they are loose/fishy they will have something strong like a good draw or some crazy two pair I found.

In general people are not trying to level you at the micros, it's my experience they play their cards very straightforward and that's it for the most part so it's best to listen when they tell you you're beat!!

Might sound a bit weak/tight but I have definitely made more money since being a believer (most of the time!!)...rather than being a non-believer (nearly all of the time!!) :)

gl
    • johny8984
      johny8984
      Bronze
      yes i think your right i never have been a believer but i'm glad its not only me who has run into this problem

i think half of the reason is that i didn't want to get bluffed off a hand but in trying to not obtain a leak i created well... not a leak but a full on waterfall oops.. :f_frown:

well this :f_biggrin: is debating if i should play tonight or not i'm feeling confident that ill find that fold button that's been hidden from me for so long...
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Hi!
      I know what you're talking about, in a similar spot myself. The problem is not understanding your hand's value, you know you're spewing with little chance to win most of the times.

1. Can depend on you being too impulsive, I sometimes refuse to think rationally because I somehow want to get the pot even when it's very obvious my chance for that is 0%. What can help, take your hand off your mouse right away in these spots. Less tables open is helpful too of course.

2. Sort of bad confidence or feeling in the session or in general. "I won't let anyone run over me!!!" Solution: recognize how little you loose when folding 3 orbits. Or folding to a 3-bet versus playing for all your stack. Why do you raise? Because you want to win the blinds. But you don't want to risk much to win a comparatively small pot.

3. I have played great in some tourneys and ended up giving it all away with stupid plays below beginner skills. My solution to this is (above the already mentioned) to put up screenshots from my best tournament results. Next to my computer. If that doesn't help I gonna buy a big red button and put it next to my rig. And press it when the spots occur. The use is to interrupt corrupt thinking. To 'snap out of it'.

Just a few cents, wish you luck and Enjoy your Game!
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      HI there,

I didnt go through al the posts so excuse me if what I will say has been said.

I feel that your need to call top pair top kicker a 3bet on the flop derives from the fact that you:

a) do not want to let any of what is in the pot go away

b) In a sense you overvalue the strength of your own hand.

c) You dont want to made a "fool" from somebody with a draw and you feel as if you are robbed.

Unfortunately at this game nobody is perfect and even the best players get bluffed or get to fold the best hand every once in a while. What you have to do though is to face every situation differently in your head and think about being at the exact same spot 100 times. Let me give you an example:

Hero: A :heart: 5 :diamond: on the BB

Two calls and the flop comes A :spade: J :spade: 7 :club:

You raise 1/2 pot and the button reraises huge.

You might have the best hand or you might not there but you have to consider whether you will be ahead MOST of the times.

If you think he will be on a flush draw 30% of the time and an Ace or a set 70% of the times then it is logical that this is an unprofitable play isnt it?

I know that on the spot this kind of thinking is much more difficult to be done and much easier here in the forums but this is your leak and this is what you should work on.

What I do when I am faced with big 3bets/overbets in marginal situations is that unless I have a read on the player, many outs or a reason to call/shove I tend to fold. Then I take the hand history bring it to the evaluation forums and the hand judges will tell me whether that was a good fold or bad.

Remember that a winning player in poker is the one who maximizes his wins but also minimizes his losses. ;)

All the best on your poker journey.

Nick
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I like feursteurm and Matej's points, and want to add one more thing that I think might help and this is knowing how well and truly fucked you are when they do have the set :f_biggrin:

• Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      I like feursteurm and Matej's points, and want to add one more thing that I think might help and this is knowing how well and truly fucked you are when they do have the set :f_biggrin:

And some times things aren't so bad

Board: J:spade: T:spade: K:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    53.84%  52.93%   0.91% { JdJh }
      UTG+1  46.16%  45.25%   0.91% { KsQs }
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Move up to where they respect your raise.
      Move up to tradimo where they respect your stop loss? ?(
    • johny8984
      johny8984
      Bronze
      wow this thread has really grown i knew that there was some great people with in this community but this has blown my expectations

a big thanks to all who have contributed

just a quick update ive played a couple k hands today and found that mysterious fold button .... YAY and i dont feel like ive ran hot but in fact i got coolered a couple of times kk into aa but my win rate is a lot better and i feel good for it. gonna spend some time looking at how my equity differs in different situations and im really starting to get a grip on it now i feel..