[NL2-NL10] NL10 86s facing min3b from blinds

• holmeboy
      "Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.
      Hero (BTN): $24.38 (243.8 bb)
      SB: $14.99 (149.9 bb)
      BB: $12.20 (122 bb)
      UTG: $12.02 (120.2 bb)
      MP: $12.10 (121 bb)
      CO: $12.05 (120.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 8 6
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.25, SB folds, BB raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.05) A 5 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.70, BB calls $1.20

Turn: ($4.45) 8 (2 players)
      BB checks,

It’s a Zoom table. Only 50 hands on the opponent, looks average reggy so far, although min 3 betting from BB looks fishy, how do you like the spot for semibluff raising? And how would you proceed?"

Hand from a study group. Half of us like it and the other half hate it lol. I'm curious to hear a judges perspective.

Some of the discussion:

Originally posted by A
      fold pre. as played i dont think villain folds AK/AQ and by raising we make him fold QQ/KK or other hands. same result would be if we call, villain checks turn and we bet small
      im also calling wide ip and 2p2 doesnt like it, but even i fold 86s there
      Originally posted by B
      I agree with XXX here and folding pre. No need to defend with 86s unless we know he's 3betting like 30%. By folding were exploiting the fact that he isn't defending his BB enough imo, and calling means that we'll have to fold a lot of flops or make a move for it to be +ev which may induce spew
      As played I'd just call the flop and reevaluate later streets. We're getting good odds
      Can probably take it down if he checks turn or river
      Originally posted by C
      I would call pre as odds are pretty good
      I somewhat disagree that we need to make a move if we call pre, as we are calling only 2.5 bb and effective is around 120 bb. It is enough to continue with good draws and 2p+?
      Originally posted by B
      But how often are we hitting 2p+ or a big draw? We're a big underdog against his range
      Its the same as calling a small sc ip
      but with worse spr
      Originally posted by C
      We miss often but we make it up when we stack with monsters (imo).
      Originally posted by A
      if we stack... thats the hard part
      when calling with hands like these we cant play very agressive post. our af will be percieved as low, our fold to cbet is high
      when we suddenly begin raising instead of folding to the cbet like usually it gets very obvious
      Originally posted by D
      Looking at it (86s hand) we hit a straight, flush or a draw ~20%
      Plus we have 2pair hands
      So I think it could be ok against the right opponent and as long as we don't spew because we're getting 25%
      There were a few others but mostly 'I agree with XXX' type comments

Sorry for the tl;dr and crap presentation lol
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      Hi homeboy,

Preflop: I don't mind calling IP here and playing postflop. However the one problem we have is that we don't really know what his range is so we will have to do a lot of guessing postflop. Because of that a fold is also fine (we don't have a huge advantage playing IP vs unknown, with no initiative and a built up pot).

Flop: As played I don't like the raise. He won't fold an Ax or better draw. The only hands that fold are some smaller pairs (KK-) that would most likely fold turn/river and since we have position we can simply call and attack the later streets.

We also can't continue if he reraises.

Turn: As played I'd take the free card. We don't have FE versus Ax and while we beat some FDs he has more Ax in his range.