[NL2-NL10] A4s – Loose River Call in Free-play Pot

• Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 35 BB (VP 29 / PF 10 / WSD 100 / Hands 67)
      BTN: 140 BB
      SB: 100 BB
      Hero (BB): 259.5 BB
      UTG: 102.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has A:spade: 4:spade:

fold, CO calls 1 BB, fold, fold, Hero checks

Flop: (2.5BB, 2 players) 9:spade: K:spade: 4:diamond:
      Hero bets 1.5 BB, CO calls 1.5 BB

Turn: (5.5BB, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: (5.5BB, 2 players) 8:club:
      Hero checks, CO bets 4 BB, Hero calls 4 BB

PF: No reason to bet here, rather take a free flop with a hand that does reasonably well in free-play pots.

F: I think I have the best equity here far too often to not place a bet, so I chose to bet mainly as a bluff in order to get 9x hands to fold as well as 55-88 which could have limped in pre-flop. However, I could be seen as getting value from weaker flush draws.

T: Since a 9 appeared on the turn, then it is less likely that my opponent called lightly with a 9 on the flop. So I suspect that my opponent has either a weak K (he would raise strong K on flop for protection) or a flush draw. Therefore, since he doesn't look too fishy, I think it would be profitable to place a bet here as I could get those weak Ks to fold and also continue to get value from any lower flush draws.

As played:
      R: Since my opponent has yet to lose a showdown (only 4 hands but still) and since his bet is quite big compared to pot, then I assume that he is definitely betting for value here. Therefore, my pair of 4s is no longer good so I should find a fold.
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Raknyo,

Preflop: Considering his stack size I don't mind the check. I'd raise if he had 50BB + though

Flop: We can't expect 9x to fold a lot however we have really good equity in the hand (if behind) so betting is fine.

Turn: Can we really expect villain to fold TP in a limped pot to just a second bet? Doubtful.

I don't mind checking to avoid the risk of getting shoved on (he is short).

River: As played, with most draws missing (and since he checked back turn) I'd also call the river. Sometimes he bluffs with better hands like 55-77 but I feel we will see a lot of TJ, JQ, TQ and missed FDs