This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] A4s – Loose River Call in Free-play Pot

• Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 35 BB (VP 29 / PF 10 / WSD 100 / Hands 67)
      BTN: 140 BB
      SB: 100 BB
      Hero (BB): 259.5 BB
      UTG: 102.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has A:spade: 4:spade:

fold, CO calls 1 BB, fold, fold, Hero checks

Flop: (2.5BB, 2 players) 9:spade: K:spade: 4:diamond:
      Hero bets 1.5 BB, CO calls 1.5 BB

Turn: (5.5BB, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: (5.5BB, 2 players) 8:club:
      Hero checks, CO bets 4 BB, Hero calls 4 BB

PF: No reason to bet here, rather take a free flop with a hand that does reasonably well in free-play pots.

F: I think I have the best equity here far too often to not place a bet, so I chose to bet mainly as a bluff in order to get 9x hands to fold as well as 55-88 which could have limped in pre-flop. However, I could be seen as getting value from weaker flush draws.

T: Since a 9 appeared on the turn, then it is less likely that my opponent called lightly with a 9 on the flop. So I suspect that my opponent has either a weak K (he would raise strong K on flop for protection) or a flush draw. Therefore, since he doesn't look too fishy, I think it would be profitable to place a bet here as I could get those weak Ks to fold and also continue to get value from any lower flush draws.

As played:
      R: Since my opponent has yet to lose a showdown (only 4 hands but still) and since his bet is quite big compared to pot, then I assume that he is definitely betting for value here. Therefore, my pair of 4s is no longer good so I should find a fold.
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Raknyo,

Preflop: Considering his stack size I don't mind the check. I'd raise if he had 50BB + though

Flop: We can't expect 9x to fold a lot however we have really good equity in the hand (if behind) so betting is fine.

Turn: Can we really expect villain to fold TP in a limped pot to just a second bet? Doubtful.

I don't mind checking to avoid the risk of getting shoved on (he is short).

River: As played, with most draws missing (and since he checked back turn) I'd also call the river. Sometimes he bluffs with better hands like 55-77 but I feel we will see a lot of TJ, JQ, TQ and missed FDs