Move up from NL50>NL100 for a stone?

• DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Hey everyone. I'm lookin for advice mainly from people who play NL100sh an have moved up from 50.

Basically I'm not sure if I'm going to make enough strategy points this month for a gemstone playing NL50. I haven't made a gemstone before, so I was going to go for it this month, so I'm currently pondering the idea of moving up to NL100 (4tables max).
      My bankroll is 1850$ right now, if I was to do this I'd drop back to NL50 at 1500.

Do you think it's worth the risk?
  • 14 replies
    • RobertDaPro
      RobertDaPro
      Bronze
      Seems like it would be bad BRM.. i have 3,6k and still playing nl50 and prob will do til 5-6k to be sure thst limit is passed + losing 5-10 stacks would not kill me on nxt lvl.

But u have diamond already. On NL50 diamond where and how much you played.. looks like you raked your br worth $

Also fact that by losing 2 stacks what can happen any moment you would.lose more than 10% of.your roll.. thats heavy, but ofc. There is guys out there with aggro brm-s
    • SillySaurus
      SillySaurus
      Bronze
      I'm not at your level of skill, but in your shoes I would wait.

18,5 BI's just sounds too risky imo.

I would take a shot with something like 30 buyins (3000$) and move down again when I was at 27.
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      Depends on how hard u crush NL50 really, if you beat it just barely i'd wait. If u beat it okey, then u could try a shot, but u also need the discipline to move down to nl50.

If you Crush NL50 bigtime, i suppose u could move up already, because if u beat it bigtime, chance of downswing are much slimmer.

What u also can do is 2 tables of nl50, 2 of nl100
    • niveaformen
      niveaformen
      Diamond
      No, don't moveup!

Why do you care about rakeback, care about winrate!
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      I do care about win rate, but this promition is only for this month and thought it may be worth it.

I decided to take a shot anyway guys, and so far at NL100 I'm about +1.5bi's :) I'm only playing when there are fish on the table, I'll post more results in a couple of days.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ChewbroCColi
      I would take a shot with something like 30 buyins (3000$) and move down again when I was at 27.
      Mweh, I'm going to be taking proper shots when i get 25 BI and move down at 20BI. i was even thinking 20BIdrop at 17BI but this may be a bit too frustrating :D

The only thing is i have the small stakes version of poker tracker so it wont track NL100 :(
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DecMate
      Hey everyone. I'm lookin for advice mainly from people who play NL100sh an have moved up from 50.

Basically I'm not sure if I'm going to make enough strategy points this month for a gemstone playing NL50. I haven't made a gemstone before, so I was going to go for it this month, so I'm currently pondering the idea of moving up to NL100 (4tables max).
      My bankroll is 1850$ right now, if I was to do this I'd drop back to NL50 at 1500.

Do you think it's worth the risk?
      I have never played NL50, but I have watched a lot of vids of hand reviews in the poker strategy video section, but I do play NL100 and can tell you a few things that may help you with your decision.

NL100 is the beginning of playing with a lot of players who not only have a good understanding of the fundamentalls, they are also thinking about their play and how others at the table will see their play. You will run into more players who play poker for a living, more players who are trying to improve their game to move up, less recreational players and fish and more experienced players attacking them. All though there is still a lot of straight forward play, you will also find a lot more players who are good at hiding and mixing up their play. Besides play that is Black and White, it is the beginning of the Grey area of play; the depends on the situation play

A proper bankroll will depend on
      1. Your playing expierence
      2. The site you will be playing at.
      2. Your playing style
      3. A plan to move down if you need to

Good Luck
    • RobertDaPro
      RobertDaPro
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Varune
      Depends on how hard u crush NL50 really, if you beat it just barely i'd wait. If u beat it okey, then u could try a shot, but u also need the discipline to move down to nl50.

If you Crush NL50 bigtime, i suppose u could move up already, because if u beat it bigtime, chance of downswing are much slimmer.

How could he possible have been crushing nl50 it hes br stands stands at 1,8k looks lot like only started nl50 and Now skipping it to me.
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Taking shots with <25BI can work IMO as long as you're confident that you have the ability to stick to a stop loss (regardless of whether or not you got it in good). Additionally, you need to be confident in your ability to handle relatively large BR losses (emotionally, that is) in short periods of time. Since you've earned a lot of that BR painstakingly grinding lower limits, don't underestimate how terrible you will feel when you lose 3-4BI at NL100: it will break your heart to see all that money vanish and it's pretty damn likely that it'll affect your future play, regardless of whether you are conscious of that fact.

One thing I would advise against, however, is playing NL100 so you can grind out a gemstone. I don't know about you, but when I'm grinding off bonuses (or getting close to) I have a tendency to think along the lines of "at least I raked some bonus" when I lose pots, which (IMO) leads to slightly higher variance play. Might just be me though. So I'd just stick it at 50 if I were you OP.

Source: moved from 50 to 100 recently.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Yeah I've decided to do something completely different. I've withdrawn 900$ and kept 1000 online, I'm using the 900 to play some NL100 live which is soft as a brush, I know the risks that I might go bust, but online I feel I need to put more hands in at lower limits. I have 50k hands at NL25rush, and only 10k hands at NL50 normal SH.

I do think I can grind NL50 profitbly, but perhaps I need a bit more experience at the lower limits to help me better grasp varience.

:f_love:
    • Varune
      Varune
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RobertDaPro
      Originally posted by Varune

How could he possible have been crushing nl50 it hes br stands stands at 1,8k looks lot like only started nl50 and Now skipping it to me.
      He could've cashed money out perhaps?
      That's atleast what i do from time to time.

But seeing decmates' last post, i'd also say stay on NL50 a bit longer, 10k hands is peanuts for a samplesize.
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Imo if you never try you will never know. BR management theory is nice but if you do it one time and then drop its ok.

Just make sure if you set a drop limit you stop there ;)

Nick
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Originally posted by elchipriota
      Imo if you never try you will never know. BR management theory is nice but if you do it one time and then drop its ok.

Just make sure if you set a drop limit you stop there ;)

Nick
      Read my post 2 up - new plan! Lol

And 10k at NL50 I know it's peanuts lol. I'm running like 22BB\100 :D
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DecMate
      Yeah I've decided to do something completely different. I've withdrawn 900$ and kept 1000 online, I'm using the 900 to play some NL100 live which is soft as a brush, I know the risks that I might go bust, but online I feel I need to put more hands in at lower limits. I have 50k hands at NL25rush, and only 10k hands at NL50 normal SH.

I do think I can grind NL50 profitbly, but perhaps I need a bit more experience at the lower limits to help me better grasp varience.

:f_love:
      Good luck then and I wish you the very best! :s_cool: