[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH, Light-squeeze 88?

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $4.53 (226.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $4.60 (230 bb)
      MP: $1.63 (81.5 bb)
      CO: $2 (100 bb)
      BTN: $4.68 (234 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8 8
      MP folds, CO raises to $0.06, BTN calls $0.06, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.24, CO calls $0.18, BTN folds

Flop: ($0.55) 2 2 A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.26, CO calls $0.26

Turn: ($1.07) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.58, Hero folds

The villain is a bit TAGgish 16/15/105.

Preflop: Considering his position as well, I decided that a squeeze will be profitable here. Is it okay with 88?

Also, say we are not 3-betting, what else can we do with 88? Cold-call seem to give me great pot odds, but in this case I will almost always give up without hitting a set. Would it still be overall a better move?

Flop: well, who knows, full houses happen :) Kidding aside, I have no idea why do I always c-bet. It's like something compulsive...maybe I have an addiction? :D I need to talk to my psychoanalytic about c-betting.

I don't think that any better hands (if there are any worse hands per se) will fold. Personally I wouldn't fold KK to a c-bet here.

So give up the flop?
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi German,

Preflop: I don't like our 3-bet squeeze with 88 here/ We turn a hand with some postflop playability into a bluff. I much rather 3-bet hands like K9s, Q9s that I can't call with.

We get good odds to call so that would be my preferred move.

Flop: If you don't plan to fire multiple streets (which you aren't) we can give up on the flop.

As you said nothing better really folds.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Oh...that's interesting. So is it only because of his raise size and the cold-caller that we can profitably call behind marginal hands here? Would we cold-call, say, 98s against a 4 BB raise without any action? I would fold probably...but if we add a cold-caller, we can call behind as well, right?

Thanks, Bogdan ;)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Well, even against one raiser you can call here for set mine. And with 88 you can do more than set-mine (can even bluffcatch, etc).

For example, since we are in Bb we need to call 2 BB.

Even assuming we fold every time we don't hit a set we lose 2 * 7 = 14 BB total.

When we hit we can easily make that back, and with two people in the pot the chance to make even more is greater.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MiiWiin:
      This makes "set mining", which is a part of many tight players' full-ring game, a meaningless effort [in SH game].

Bogdan, so this is referred only to limp/calling, and we can still profitably set-mine by cold-calling in SH?

Also, why is unprofitable to limp/call pockets in the first place then? We'll be easy to read on a shorter table?

Thanks.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      Originally posted by MiiWiin:
      This makes "set mining", which is a part of many tight players' full-ring game, a meaningless effort [in SH game].

Bogdan, so this is referred only to limp/calling, and we can still profitably set-mine by cold-calling in SH?

Also, why is unprofitable to limp/call pockets in the first place then? We'll be easy to read on a shorter table?

Thanks.
      It's unprofitable because you start the hand with no initiative in a small pot and since SH games are aggressive most of the time you get raised. So now if you call you end up putting more money into the pot than you would by simply raising in the first place. And on top of that you lose initiative which accounts for a LOT of the profitability of these hands (for example we raise and everyone folds, we collect 1.5 BB - or we raise, get called, cbet and take it down).