When will PS.com add strategy contents???

• patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      PS added tons video each month. Almost zero strategy content.
      I hate this fact because my english isn't good and I naturally prefer reading articles/books than watching videos.

Is producing video easier/cheaper than writing strategy article?
      Please add strategy articles + quizzes regularly as much as videos!!!!!!!!!
  • 30 replies
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      No way hose.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi patszerdonk,

Well, even though my English is fairly good, I would love to see more articles too.

I find that it takes SOOOOOO long to watch a video -- over an hour in some cases.

Most of the material in the video could often be covered in less time in an article -- and better yet, I can print the articles and read them on the bus.

I've moved this to our feedback forum.

I'm sure that the super ninjas monitor that forum daily.

--VS
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Thanks Vorpal for your support
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Indeed I would prefer articles.

Also after you read all articles then one part of why you were playing tracked on the first place is kind of lost knowing that no more will come.

I enjoy reading more than watching so yes articles are for me as well.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Probably because 90% of ppl prefer video's over reading. Thats why we invented Tv's and comps.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey patszerdonk,

Thanks for voicing your concern, Pleno1, the head of our Poker School Team has said a couple of times that some new strategy is being launched very soon, hopefully this will involve new articles as well as videos.

Thanks for giving us your feedback

Carl
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      Probably because 90% of ppl prefer video's over reading. Thats why we invented Tv's and comps.
      That's right 90% people prefer video over reading......for entertaintment. But for educational / learning purpose, I myself prefer reading over video.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Even when not purely for entertainment, a lot of people prefer learning through watching rather than reading. The programming industry is a very good example. Loads and loads of video tutorials/courses have been created, and they are used very extensively, because many people find it's very easy to learn by seeing what code is typed, why that piece of code works, and immediately see it in action.

I think the same applies to many other fields, including poker. In a poker book or article, you first get some theory, then some examples. This all needs to be put together by the reader. When watching a video of someone playing who immediately explains why they made a specific move and why you should refrain from doing other things, many people immediately save this information somewhere in their memory.

Of course, many people still prefer learning from articles. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! But learning through videos is becoming a standard pretty quickly, not just in the entertainment industry anymore.

That said, on topic, it would be cool if there could be new/revised/improved articles. However, they should definitely be complemented with videos, because there is simply a large audience that will prefer seeing a video, even if they also read the article. Reading the article and watching a video will do wonders for a lot of people, imo :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I agree with TinoLaan here

I can happily read the articles all day and i learn A LOT. But when it comes to putting it into practice i just fail. So i like to read articles and then see somebody who knows what they are doing put that knowledge into practical use it just helps me connect with it better, i don't know why.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      i don't know why.
      I do :)

Most of the time, learning throuhg videos works for someone due to a variety of reasons (applies to more fields rather than just poker).

1. It's far more personal than an article.
      2. The video directly shows theory as well as results when this theory is put into practice. To put this in poker context, seeing a real person win money directly by making specific plays actually triggers you to make this move, because you have actually seen it. In the article, some nonexistent 'Hero' makes the moves, which, also relating to point 1, is just completely impersonal.
      3. It requires you to focus on both audio and video. When reading an article you're just reading letters. In the case of a theory video for example, you will be reading what's on the presentation, but you'll also hear the video producer explain whatever is on the presentation. In the case of a session review, you have to watch what the coach does, but you also have to listen to what he says. You continuously have to focus on two things, which improves the learning experience.
      4. It's more interactive. Again going to the programming example, people can open up the video, watch it once to get an idea of what the tutorial is trying to achieve. Then he can watch it again and type along to immediately get the results. Learning like this allows people to remember patterns more easily. And of course, in poker, patterns are incredibly important!

That's just a few things. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone. And when reading articles, you can mark specific sections, re-read specific sections, et cetera. There is absolutely nothing wrong with reading books/articles! However, I think video training is pretty much a must-have, because it definitely enhances the learning experience a lot, either because some people simply don't learn as well from articles, or because some people want to both read the articles and watch a video to see the theory put into practice.

If anything, I am absolutely delighted that there's such a big focus on producing high quality video content here on PS. That of course doesn't mean the articles should be neglected, because they're still a huge deal as well. But I just can't stress enough how important it is to have all this video content here :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      And now i do know :D thanks
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      No problem :f_biggrin:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Pretty much everything I know comes from reading.

I read actively, though.
      I read something, reflect on it, take notes etc.
      If it is something I can try -- I stop reading and try it.

I start by reading the entire article to get context, and then go back and select bits to apply -- and make action plans for putting it into practice.

With videos, I find I've not retained the beginning by the time I get to the end.
      Skipping back is a long laborious process.

I'm guessing that a large part of it has to do with the most appropriate learning style for the individual.

Also, the material to be presented needs to be considered.
      The transcript of a live coaching session would make for a useless article, but
      makes for a useful video.

On the other hand, a discussion of odds and outs with equations etc seems to work much better on paper. At least it does to me.
    • FatSunny
      FatSunny
      Bronze
      +1 Reading for me, I like to read when im not playing gives me a break from the screen, and i find it more interesting to re-read an article than re-watch a 40 min video.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Nah. It's because 90% can't read.

Seriously, videos are more entertainment than learning material. Yes, that is the way it is. Learning hurts. No pain - no gain. That theory about good programmers learning from watching somebody else typing ..., well to be honest, ..., No, I'll skip that part being honest. I might hurt somebody's feelings.

Balance between videos and written stuff, that is what is needed.

Take, for example, a Sit&Go video with a bit of push and fold. To really absorb that kind of material one probably needs to understand ICM. For ICM you need an article, preferably including the ICM formula itself, and quite possibly its derivation. (In this example, the superior way is, of course, to derive the ICM formula for oneself. Been there, done that. Now confident enough to let somebody else do the hard work with that for me (TY Holde'm Resources developer.))

Videos will not ever be able to replace written material if some sort of quality of learning is to be obtained. People become unintelligent in front of a computer screen. That was not meant as an insult, it is a relative thing. What you can not understand watching the screen might be possible to understand through reading. If that still doesn't work, then bring out pencil and paper. Make an experiment. Get a couple of online (onscreen) Sudoku's of the tougher kind. Print out a few, and try to do the rest on the screen. I guarantee you, you will become flabbergasted over how smart you are away from the screen compared to in front of it.

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by YohanN7
      Nah. It's because 90% can't read.

Well what ever the reason, the fact remain that the vast majority of members prefer video's so thats what they provide. Besides PS still has more strategy articles then any other training site out there.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Besides PS still has more strategy articles then any other training site out there.
      We wantz MOAR!
      <cue evil laugh>
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      I'm a native English speaker but ...

My vote goes to English subtitles for the videos as opposed to new articles. Videos are a much more effective learning environment and putting the time and money towards subtitles would be a lot more valuable than translating more strategy articles.

However, strategy articles that are companions to their videos (ie. Crushing NL50) is extremely awesome. I'm definitely for more of that.

My bid: 2c ask: 4c.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze

Videos are a much more effective learning environment
      No, they are not. They are more convenient. They make you think that you actually have learned, while in reality you have not. In the world outside of poker (academia, working career) people who have learned themselves using an easier route naturally support the idea that the easier route is preferable to some old fashioned method. For example, they may think that knowing how to program using drag and drop from a 48 hur crash course in Visual Basic is equivalent to or even better than 10 years experience from low level algorithmic programming in C, especially if that C programmer admits to that he know little or no Visual basic.

Things aren't very different in poker. Poker is real life too.

Take the basic videos on EV calculations. What is the best way to learn EV?

1.) Watch a video on EV?
      2.) Read an article on EV?
      3.) Write an article on EV?

If you answer 3 here, then you get the idea. If you are good enough to actually explain to others what the concepts are, then you understand them. You actually wouldn't have to write an article, the important thing is that you know how to.

Learning well hurts.

Watching videos gives pleasure.

Most people don't want to learn well enough, at least not at the price of pain. They either admit to that or fool themselves into thinking that somebody else's thinking for them on a video is just as good as really learning.

I want balance here. Imagine Boomers 17 videos on micro surgery instead being 8 videos and 3 articles. Wow! How much better wouldn't that be?