Do you ever got tired of poker? (with cliffnotes)

• DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      Lately I am completely fed up with it. I really don't want to play anymore. I am forcing myself to put in as many hands as i can. In July I played the most hands ever. The result? I am down for a couple dollars.

Definitely this is because of an extended breakeven session and a 4BI downswing that I suffered today (worst day in my poker career). I try NL20, going back to NL10, but nothing works. Yesterday I was happy because I was at 510$ bankroll hoping that the breakeven period has finally come to an end. Today I ended at 450$, again at the point i was on 12th JUNE!!! So it is a month without profit. One day I am at the highest point of my poker carrer, the next day I am where I was a month ago... Grind, grind, grind, pow, months work going to waste.

But that's not the point...

How do you deal with extended periods of breaking even, swinging up and down. Do you ever got sick of it and just say "fuck it". I used to like poker, i was hyped to play, now I just "meh...i will probably lose money, but let's give it a try".

Now I'm again enjoying other hobbies even if I can't make money of it. I was hoping playing NL20 would be some kind of substitution for summer work (even I made less money doing it), but now i see i am just wasting my time.

When I am not playing I am usually doing nothing, just laying around and thinking not playing is -EV. So basically on one hand i want to play, on the other I don't. Conclusion : I'm just doing this for the money. This is very bad right?

Cliffnotes : 17k breakeven, swongs, fed up with poker, what to do???

Forgot the graph:
  • 8 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Don't play for money or just for hands, play to get good - review your sessions, try to find and fix leaks etc - if you're good and have the discipline to work on your game, you'll win.
      Or, just go see my graphs and realise it ain't that bad to have 17k BE hands ^^
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      swiss : Yeah, i know people that have 50k breakeven sessions and long downswings. I would really like to know how the hell do you motivate yourselves to still play. Don't you get tired of it?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Well I know I can beat the games, and atm there's promotions that are worth quite a lot, so I actually have to put in a lot of volume... NL200 isn't that great though, I'm not 100% confident, so that's a bit harder...but ya, just take a break, that's best
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      I fell you man i am in totally same mood. But i am break even now 30k hands :( Just sick. All i get up is SP lol which i double.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      sharkscope hav0cLOL at pokerstars if you want. that's me. longer BE swing ftw
    • Liquinario
      Liquinario
      Bronze
      How is that graph made? Is it possible to make such a thing using software on Mansion Poker?
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Liquinario
      How is that graph made? Is it possible to make such a thing using software on Mansion Poker?
      yes. pokertracker 2.

To Dr Funk: clear bonuses - even if you're playing breakeven, you're still up :) and you have a goal to play for - to release the bonus.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Well... I try to motivate my self by letting myself know that after every sick downswing or a really long break even period comes a sick or long upswing period.

And yeah it sucks if it happens after moving up a limit, since you can't really be sure if it's just bad luck or are you just not good enough. That's why you should post as many hands as possible and annoy the crap out of hand judges :D to make sure that your game is at it's best.

Further more, you said you wanted to play as a substitute for a summer job, I don't know if that is a good idea on such a low limit. I think that at the beginning it shouldn't be that much about money. You should try and improve your game and when you get to a bit higher limit you can start thinking about money and stuff. But be aware that when you start playing for money it becomes much harder, the swings will affect you much more and you might be in a bad mood for days after a downswing, and it can also start affecting your game resulting in even more losses.

OK, hope my long post didn't bore anybody to death :P