[NL2-NL10] QQ in SB

• Rahica
      Hello ! I need an evaluation on this hand which I think I've played pretty bad from the SB:

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $5.99 (119.8 bb)
      Hero (SB): $7.65 (153 bb)
      BB: $5.35 (107 bb)
      UTG+1: $5.15 (103 bb)
      UTG+2: $5 (100 bb)
      MP1: $6.30 (126 bb)
      MP2: $5.14 (102.8 bb)
      MP3: $5.17 (103.4 bb)
      CO: $6.07 (121.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:spade: Q:club:
      7 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BB raises to $0.45, Hero calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.90) 8:spade: 4:club: 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.65, Hero calls $0.65

Turn: ($2.20) 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $1.60, Hero calls $1.60

River: ($5.40) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $2.65 and is all-in, Hero folds

$5.40 pot ($0.22 rake)
      Final Board: 8:spade: 4:club: 6:spade: 4:heart: K:spade:
      Hero mucked Q:spade: Q:club: and lost (-$2.70 net)
      BB mucked and won $5.18 ($2.48 net)

I think I lost $1.60 for nothing on the turn when I could've folded right there. Maybe on the flop that was a c bet, but on the turn, that was a value for sure, and it was pretty much clear that he had either AA, KK ( however I was still hopping that he had AKs ). On the river I narrowed it to KK... I was sure that he was thinking that I drawed for a flush and got it, and he can extract the maximum possible with his full house. Thanks for the help !
  • 8 replies
    • elchipriota
      I feel that SB vs BB is quite different from any other spot.

You have to know your opponent but I feel a lot of people will 3bet their BB very wide there since they will have position postflop and they know that SB can have a very wide raising range. With an eff stack on 100bb I would go for a 4bet preflop there and aim to take the pot down straightaway.

At those limits where people overalue their hands so often I would never fold QQ preflop.

Why are we checking on the flop? I dont like the check call line there. Board is very coordinated and opponent can be very easily be on a draw.

We will be having the best hand most of the times there so lead out and bet it.

River fills up the flush plus Kx Hands.

Overall you played the hand very passively. When out of position and with a hand such as QQ aim to be more aggressive in order to find out where you are. Dont just shut down after the 3bet.

Remember that he could have AA or KK but he could do the same play with ,99,TT,JJ, possibly some Ax hands that connect to the board as well.
    • RasTweet
      Hey Rahica!

Moved the thread to the suited forum.

• MatejM47
      How you think about folding this at any point is beyond me. This is 100% standard stackoff preflop and on that board is a 100% standard calldown on all 3 streets. On the river you only need to be good 25% of the time on a card that his going to bluff 90% of the time.

Dont be such a nit. You can consider folding this when opening utg not in late positions.
    • LedZayats
      Generally blind vs blind with that effective stack size I would play QQ agressively - 4bet to 1.50 and call shove. If he just calls the 4bet I'd cbet any flop without an A or K with the intent of getting it all-in. If he just calls and A or K comes I'd play depending on the player - if he's tricky and loose, I might just cbet anyway or check/call all the way, but if he's tight, I might check/fold. The way you played it I would probably check the flop and shove to a bet, but he could check behind with AK and get a free chance to draw at 6 cards, so I'd prefer to just get it in preflop. If the effective stack was at least 7-8 dollars, then I would 4bet, but consider folding to a 5bet, I guess, but blind vs blind just calling a 3bet preflop there sucks.
    • kymupa

Preflop I prefer 4betting and stacking off with QQ here.
      We are in BVB and also we are just a little bit over 100bb deep so stacking off here will be the best.

I think on the flop we can check/raise against lower overpairs and flush draws.

On the turn I think we can still go broke here.

As played on the previous streets, I believe that folding the river is fine.
      I really don't expect people to bet JJ/TT here and we are only bluff catching without any information and I think that this bet is mostly a value bet.

• Rahica
      So I'm too nit playing this QQ? The game in NL5, especially in the morning when I play it is very very tight and people fold a lot to a standard bet without seeing a flop with QQ. The fact that I got 3bet-ed was a shock for me, because when this usually happens and I intend to shove, the guy has minimum KK ( let's face it, who shoves to a 4bet with AK or JJ !? There is no pro in NL5 and Tom Dwan and KidPoker are sleeping in that time of the day )..
      Just now I am realizing that I might have misplayed the hand preflop as well because I didn't 4bet. I am on a crazy downswing and maybe, without realizing it, I became a nit :)
      Thanks for the answers everyone !
    • elchipriota
      Ok remember this rule for NL5: Prefer to go bust preflop with QQ+ rather than get exploited postflop. And if you are going to be afraid to play your queens because the other player would probably have KK+ on SB vs BB then you might as well fold any hand.
    • Rahica
      So I am being a nit... Terrible month ! Super downswing, super bad play and bad beats :) All in one... I guess that explains my red line on my graph going down and down and down... :)