Flop: ($0.70, 2 players) A:spade: J:club: 2:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.45, SB calls $0.45

Turn: ($1.60, 2 players) 4:spade:
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.00, SB raises to $2.00, Hero calls $1.00

River: ($5.60, 2 players) 6:club:
      SB bets $3.00, fold

SB wins $5.23

Villain is 18/12 over 230 hands.

Pretty tight table, so I decided to open with T9s, because I figured they would fold a lot of the time, and I would have a half decent hand if I would get called.

Mandatory cbet on the flop. On the turn I decided to barrel because I did pick up the flush draw, and I could probably get weak pairs like Jx or 88 to fold. When he minraised though I wasn't entirely sure what to do. I decided to call because I was getting pretty decent odds and I was in position. But I'm not too sure that was a good play, really. I think I'm looking at about 20% equity at most here against a raising range consisting of top pair or better. I don't think he's raising with worse because he is pretty tight.

So considering all that, should we call here, and hope to hit or take it down on the river on a good card, or just fold?
  • 2 replies
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Even if you have only 20% equity, you need 18% to start earning money :) It's not that difficult to call here.

The other thing is your 2nd barrel. Four is not really a scare card to generate enormous amounts of fold equity. Moreover, your hand is not strong enough to inflate the pot for value. Finally, opponent showed some strength by calling a dry flop.

Bearing all this in mind, I would go for check behind. There are two reasons:
      1) obviously, we get to see free river and find out whether or not we have any equity.
      2) we might induce a bluff on the river by our passive play. Even if a spade comes out, it won't be all that obvious for the opponent that we had a spade FD, since the flop was rainbow.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Tino,

Preflop: looks fine

Flop: Cbet on this board is fine as a weak semibluff.

Turn: Once villain calls can we expect him to fold anything on this blank turn? I personally don't think so unless we plan on bluffing river as well I'd just check back and take my free card.

Considering we have the backdoor flush draw and he min raised we have some implied odds so I'd call there as well.