NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($8.09)
      BB ($3.29)
      UTG ($9.26)
      UTG+1 ($5.25)
      Hero ($5)
      BTN ($5.07)

Dealt to Hero 9:heart: 9:spade:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.17, BTN raises to $0.55, fold, fold, Hero raises to $1.20, BTN raises to $5.07 (AI), Hero calls $3.80 (AI)

FLOP ($10.07) 6:spade: A:diamond: 4:diamond:

TURN ($10.07) 6:spade: A:diamond: 4:diamond: 4:spade:

RIVER ($10.07) 6:spade: A:diamond: 4:diamond: 4:spade: A:heart:

Hero shows 9:heart: 9:spade:
      (Pre 21%, Flop 7.6%, Turn 4.5%)

BTN shows K:club: K:diamond:
      (Pre 79%, Flop 92.4%, Turn 95.5%)

BTN wins $9.40

Hard hand because 99 looks awesome against him but he will undoubtedly will take it away postflop ip with his aggression, he managed to fold to my 4b once.

Please be detailed about it because aggressive 3bettors to my left is probably my biggest weakness right now.
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Dracsharp,

Preflop: I don't like our 4-bet/call here unless he shoves a lot worse and/or folds a lot to our 4-bet.

And if he folds a lot we can't really call because that means his shoving range is strong.

As an exercise for you:

A) we know our pot odds so calculate our equity versus various ranges that you villain stacks off with here.

B) think about why 4-betting with blockers is better than with any other hands.

If you have aggressive 3-bettors to your left the answer is not to push small edges preflop. We need to fold more OOP, open less and play for value, especially at the lower limits where people will spew more.
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      Giving him something like this

17%
      QQ+,99-22,AKs,ATs-A2s,KTs,QTs,J9s+,T8s+,98s,87s,76s,65s,AKo,ATo-A5o

Assuming his range is polarized and he calls his better holdings his 5b range should be 2,5% which means he should do 86% folding to 4bet, and can't imagine that this is true

99 vs QQ+,AKs,AKo 35 vs 65 , and i need 38% to call, if he ever bluffs it just gets better and better, and this is only the call, not even including the +ev i get from him folding his 4bets

I was actually surprised i thought i was in worse shape, now i actually like my move, giving him wider value range only improves our odds.

99 is already top 5%, i know be tighter play for value loosely 4b him for value, well this was loose

I didn't 4bet for bluff , i meant it for value, and if he turns out to be real nity about his showing than it's a bluff but very profitable one
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Don't forget that the EV of the 4-bet (when he folds) is separate from the EV when he shoves and we call.

For example if he does shove only QQ+, AK then our call is a mistake while our 4-bet was most likely not because he can fold enough.
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      I know, but you don't agree with the line i took ?

" Preflop: I don't like our 4-bet/call here unless he shoves a lot worse and/or folds a lot to our 4-bet. "

He must to do least one after his 3b and without information i would assume his calling range is loose, so i am 4b/calling. Assuming that he plays only nuts after 4b would be out of character for him but not impossible, and very bad to play against always assuming he has the nuts while in reality he almost never does.

How would have you played this hand ?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Dracsharp
      I know, but you don't agree with the line i took ?

" Preflop: I don't like our 4-bet/call here unless he shoves a lot worse and/or folds a lot to our 4-bet. "

He must to do least one after his 3b and without information i would assume his calling range is loose, so i am 4b/calling. Assuming that he plays only nuts after 4b would be out of character for him but not impossible, and very bad to play against always assuming he has the nuts while in reality he almost never does.

How would have you played this hand ?
      Based on your reads you said you expect him to:

A) fold some times to our 4-bet
      B) shove a wide range

Because of that we can play 4-bet/call

My statement said that if we can't assume that of our opponent then it's marginal at best.

Don't forget, that as far as I know, you haven't actually seen him shove worse. So we are just guessing here that he can do that.