[NL20-NL50] nl25 AJ TP facing flop minraise

• jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      0 hands

What do these min raises often mean?

My thoughts are often 2pair or better with some bluffs. I called the raise coz he doesnt rep much to see if he fires the turn, then gave up as it seems I'm rarely good in these spots after he bets the turn. And I'm trying to become less of a calling station.

PokerStars - $0.25 NL (6 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): $37.92
      SB: $35.93
      BB: $27.31
      UTG: $91.44
      MP: $48.15
      CO: $25.25

SB posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has A:club: J:spade:

fold, fold, CO raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.75, fold, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.35, 3 players) 6:club: A:diamond: 2:heart:
      BB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $1.50, BB raises to $3.00, fold, Hero calls $1.50

Turn: ($8.35, 2 players) Q:club:
      BB bets $5.00, fold

BB wins $7.97
  • 1 reply
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      He raises multiway with the CO to act. To me this shows more strength. In this spot I'd just snap fold AJ, maaaaybe call AK because we beat some AJ/AQ. I wouldn't be thrilled about AK either though, it's just the worst hand I'd consider calling against an unknown that does this 3way with people to act.

There's quite a big difference when it's HU. Then he is a bit more likely to bluff. He only needs you to fold and a very limited thinking of 'I don't put him on an Ace' is enough to convince people to bluff. They don't do it with high frequencies but against 2pair you have some equity and you get a good price vs a minraise.

Always keep in mind there's more than your opponent's action to consider. It's the board, players in the pot, type of players in the pot and so on.