[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH, A7s hits a 7

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $2.21 (110.5 bb)
      BTN: $1.16 (58 bb)
      SB: $0.77 (38.5 bb)
      BB: $2.11 (105.5 bb)
      UTG: $3.53 (176.5 bb)
      Hero (MP): $2.03 (101.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7 A
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.08, CO calls $0.08, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.19) 5 7 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, CO calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.43) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, CO calls $0.20

River: ($0.83) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Results:
      $0.83 pot ($0.03 rake)
      Final Board: 5 7 2 2 8
      CO showed T T and won $0.80 ($0.40 net)
      Hero showed 7 A and lost (-$0.40 net)

Hi all,

In the order of streets:

Flop: I opened too loose. No idea why, maybe I need to start multitabling in order not to get bored at 1 table. Shame I play from 12,1'' laptop.

Turn: That's why I post the hand. What I think:
      -- The turn is blank, so I don't have any significant fold equity
      -- My hand is not strong enough to bet for value: I cannot see a lot of weaker hands that will call

What are my other options? x/c and x/f. It's a bit hard to play x/f, because I still have a TPTK, though my pair sucks. x/c seems to be more profitable only if the villain decides to check behind.

What do you think about these 3 options?

TY
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi German,

Preflop: looks fine

Flop: looks fine with TPTK/backdoor flush

Turn: There is some thin value to be gained from worse Ax, 66, 5x. Unless we know more about villain I wouldn't like ck/call. If we knows that he can float then we can play ck/call on the turn.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Aw...are you saying that our hand is good enough to increase the pot a bit, so check/calling is not optimal, because we might get checked behind?

Or, on the other hand, you are saying that at the moment the pot is small enough, so we should get called by the weaker hands more often than by the stronger hands?

Or it's the same idea? :f_biggrin: I'm a bit confused. Could you please clarify a bit on the "thin value" concept.

Thanks
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      Aw...are you saying that our hand is good enough to increase the pot a bit, so check/calling is not optimal, because we might get checked behind?

Or, on the other hand, you are saying that at the moment the pot is small enough, so we should get called by the weaker hands more often than by the stronger hands?

Or it's the same idea? :f_biggrin: I'm a bit confused. Could you please clarify a bit on the "thin value" concept.

Thanks
      On the turn: if we bet we can get called by worse hands like 7x, 5x, 66, some draws (68) and possibly high cards.

So from those hands we gain value. Better hands that can call are full house, some overpairs.

If we check, because he is unknown, we really don't know how to react to a bet because we don't know if he bets just for value or if he has floats that he can bet.

So if we check it will be hard for us to play the hand once he bets (if he checks back that's no problem because that usually means we have the best hand often).
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      The reasoning is perfectly clear for me now :) Cheers.