MTT tournaments

• colinsaces
      colinsaces
      Bronze
      hi guys.

I have been playing online poker for about 7 months, so i guess im still regarded as a biginner to most of you.
      I keep playing freerolls, and play strictly to the starting hands chart.
      when im in late position i will also play mid to high suited connectors.

Recently i have found that i just get eaten up by the blinds all the time, i think im playing well according to my experience levels as i get to around 35 out of 490 position or like last night i played in a 500 man tournament, i must have only played around 8 to 12 hands, and they were all on the starting hands chart, and i ended at 205th position.

has anyone got any advice for me on how or whats the best strategy for getting further in MTT's.

Are there any good videos here or articals on general MTT strategy

well i know some of you dont want to gie away any of your secrets. LOL
      but i would appreciate any advice from the pro's, and would be willing to take part in a private coaching session if needed.
  • 5 replies
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Hello, colinsaces,

What shc exactly are you talking about? There is none on this site for mtt. Mtt is a lot different from the games we advice beginners to play (sng and bss and sss), so it would be hard to give you a good strategy about it. Usually, an mtt is played like bss (with the bss chart even) untill the blinds get very high, when you just push, and stop stealing blinds unless by going all in directly.

If the blinds eat you, you are typically too tight. In early stages, loosen up in late position, and steal blinds. Later in the game, push looser. Here is a chart you can use to determine what hands to push, with how many bb's left:

link

However, since freerolls won't
      1. teach you how to play poker
      2. make you much money

I would advice you to stop playing mtt's, untill you can play them on reasonably high limits. I'd advice you to start playing sss or sng's on the lowest limits (NL10 for sss and 1$ sng's). Then you can visit our public coachings and then you don't need a private coaching by a pro (which would be expensive).

I hope I helped you and answered your questions,

Nick
    • colinsaces
      colinsaces
      Bronze
      yes it does nick, thanks
      Mtt's i was speaking about are on PKR
      I do play alot of S&G's and usually end up on or close to the money places.
      I must admit i am too tight lol, and last night i loosened up and actually made some money, thanks to your advice
      I will go and study the BSS
    • colinsaces
      colinsaces
      Bronze
      Hi coach ive looked at that chart and silly question, does "M" stand for the amount of chips you have left?
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      not a silly question at all. M stands for your stacksize, divided by initial potsize.

So if your stack is 6000, bb is 100, sb is 50, and there is 10 ante, and there are 10 players at the table, your M is:

100 (BB) + 50 (sb) +100 (10*10, total antes) = 250

6000 (stack)/250 (initial pot) = 24, so your M would be 24.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      nick's right, which is where 14BB or less = push or fold is from... around about M of 10 or less