[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH, KQs cold-call behind

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $0.93 (46.5 bb)
      CO: $1.02 (51 bb)
      BTN: $1.30 (65 bb)
      SB: $2 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $4.02 (201 bb)
      UTG: $2 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K Q
      UTG raises to $0.05, MP folds, CO calls $0.05, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.16) K J 8 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, UTG calls $0.10, CO folds

Turn: ($0.36) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

River: ($0.72) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

Results:
      $0.92 pot ($0.03 rake)
      Final Board: K J 8 5 3
      Hero showed K Q and won $0.45 ($0.02 net)
      UTG showed K Q and won $0.44 ($0.01 net)

Preflop: is it good to call from BB here? seems like a pretty good price to see the flop with a pretty good hand. Squeezing would turn our hand into a bluff.

Flop: I decided to lead with a TPGK. Anything wrong with that?

Turn: turn is blank. x/c a reasonable bet is fine?

River: I probably would fold to a normal bet, but I'm not folding 82c pot because of a 10c raise. Even with my TPGK.

What do you think?

TY
  • 6 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop callin is good.

I think leading the flop is fine here.
      Quite coordinated board we have so I'd make it $0.12.

On the turn I prefer betting again.

River of course is never a fold.
      I am thinking of a raise here - something like $0.36 in order to take value from worse hands here and I think we can do it.

Best,
      Plamen
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi Plamen,

Thanks for evaluation.

I have something to ask you:

a) re: we should bet the turn. Hasenbraten said "[on turn] bet with strong pairs, you can check/call on a dry board". So what should I do here, bet or check? And why? :)

b) re: raise. Where does $0.36 come from? I think I already asked someone about raise sizing (maybe it was even you), but apparently I didn't understand it, because I can't see why $0.36. The pot size would be $1.02. Is it kinda 1/3 of the pot?

Also, I never had a chance to check it, if f.e. on PokerStars (or PartyPoker) I press the 1/3 button when raising in this case, will I end up with $0.34? (I know that you would end up with $1.02 if you pressed the pot button).

Cheers
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hey,

Nice questions here.

I prefer betting the turn because we are most likely to have the best hand here since he didn't raise the flop and we can extract value from worse hands considering that the board is quite coordinated and there are a lot of draws/pair+draw hands.
      Also by checking, we allow him to check back his weaker hands which we don't like.
      Finally, if we check/call here we will have a hard time playing the river, since I really don't want to check/call again without any specific information.

Well $0.36 doesn't come from a concrete button, but I made it up.
      The situation here is that he shows weakness with his bet - I interpret this bet with him having a hand like AJ/KT or so, with which he want a little value but doesn't really want to make it big.
      So here we raise smallish since I don't expect him to call bigger raise with these hands.

If you press the 1/3 button you will end up raising to 56 cents here.

Is there anything that left misunderstood or you have something else to ask?
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Yes please.

If you press the 1/3 button you will end up raising to 56 cents here.

What I know:
      a) the pot button rises "to the pot" as I understand it
      b) how I understand "to the pot" is: Bet x 3 + all the money in the pot before the bet. Such a raise gives exactly 2:1 pot odds.

What do we have here?

River: ($0.72) 3 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.10

If I raise to the pot, I will raise: 10c x 3 + 72c = $1.02

I believed that 1/2 or 2/3 button would raise to 1/2 or 2/3 of $1.02 respectively.

Now when you know what I know, it should be easy for you to tell where I'm wrong :)

Thanks
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Let's take this example: the pot it 72 cents and he bets 10 cents.
      Raising the pot here equals to $1.02 and we get to those $1.02 this way: we call his 10 cent bet and the pot gets $0.92 and raise with the pot size ($0.92) so the exact amount is $1.02.
      If we raise 1/2 pot here, the net amount will bet $0.56 and the 1/3 will be $0.41 so I have made a mistake calculating this in my previous post.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Oh, I see. x3 is just a shortcut, we do basically the same by counting his bet + our call + our call once again to raise "by", not "to".

Thanks a lot, it's a bit confusing if you never though about it :)