seriously, i tried....:(

• zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      big time whineage ahead

after today, i decided to quit for a while, this is just too much for me to handle....

built my BR from $10, this morning i started playing with $372, now, ~400(!) hands later, im down to $280

suckout after suckout, bad beat after bad beat, cooler after cooler....
      mostly because players making dumb plays and getting rewarded big time - i know im supposed to be happy about those guys, but i just cant do it anymore....

im srsly afraid of logging in and playing.

i was about to start taking shots @ NL20, now i can just about move down to NL5, if i only lose a couple more...

what the heck do you do after a defeat like this? i need some serious advice :(

take a look at my last 300 hands, and tell me if this is normal... from what i understand, downswing can take thousands, even 10's of thousands of hands... ill be bankrup after this is over

1)
      Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:diamond: , K:diamond:
      SB posts small blind ($0,05), BB posts big blind ($0,10), MP2 folds, Hero raises for $0,30, 2 folds, SB 3-bets $0,95, BB folds, Hero calls

Flop: ($2,10 - 21 bb) A:club: , 7:diamond: , 3:spade: (2 Players)
      SB bets $10,02, Hero calls

Turn: ($22,14 - 221.40 bb) A:spade: (2 Players)

River: ($22,14 - 221.40 bb) Q:spade: (2 Players)

SB shows Q:heart: Q:diamond:

2)
      Preflop: Hero is BU with 6:heart: , 6:diamond:
      SB posts small blind ($0,05), BB posts big blind ($0,10), 2 folds, CO raises for $0,30, Hero calls, SB folds, BB 3-bets $0,80, CO calls, Hero calls

Flop: ($2,75 - 27.50 bb) J:club: , 6:spade: , 3:diamond: (3 Players)
      BB bets $2,10, CO folds, Hero raises for $11,10, BB calls, Hero gets uncalled back ($1,64)

Turn: ($21,67 - 216.70 bb) Q:club: (2 Players)

River: ($21,67 - 216.70 bb) K:spade: (2 Players)

Villain shows K:heart: K:diamond:

3)
      Preflop: Hero is SB with K:club: , T:diamond:
      Hero posts small blind ($0,05), BB posts big blind ($0,10), MP3 calls, CO folds, BU calls, Hero raises for $0,45, 2 folds, BU calls

Flop: ($1,20 - 12 bb) T:club: , 7:spade: , 2:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $0,70, BU raises for $3,44, Hero calls

Turn: ($8,08 - 80.80 bb) 8:spade: (2 Players)

River: ($8,08 - 80.80 bb) 9:spade: (2 Players)

Villain shows K:spade: T:spade:

4)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , A:spade:
      SB posts small blind ($0,05), Hero posts big blind ($0,10), 3 folds, BU raises for $0,20, SB folds, Hero 3-bets $0,70, BU 4-bets $1,20, Hero 5-bets $3,20, BU calls

Flop: ($6,45 - 64.50 bb) J:diamond: , T:heart: , 9:heart: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $10,53, BU calls, Hero gets uncalled back ($1,57)

Turn: ($24,37 - 243.70 bb) A:club: (2 Players)

River: ($24,37 - 243.70 bb) 2:spade: (2 Players)

villain shows K:heart: Q:heart:

5)
      Known Players:
      CO: $10,26 - 103 bb
      BU: $4,90 - 49 bb
      SB: $12,77 - 128 bb
      BB: $11,51 - 115 bb

0,05/0,10 No Limit Hold'em (4 Handed)
      Hand recorder for this hand: PokerStrategy.com SideKick 1.0.51206.2

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:heart: , Q:club:
      SB posts small blind ($0,05), Hero posts big blind ($0,10), CO folds, BU calls, SB folds, Hero raises for $0,30, BU 3-bets $0,60, Hero 4-bets $1,30, BU reraises for $2, Hero reraises for $6,05, BU calls, Hero gets uncalled back ($2,85)

Flop: ($9,85 - 98.50 bb) K:diamond: , J:club: , 2:heart: (2 Players)

Turn: ($9,85 - 98.50 bb) 4:heart: (2 Players)

River: ($9,85 - 98.50 bb) 4:club: (2 Players)

villain shows J:diamond: J:spade:

i dont usually tilt, but i cant take this anymore
      villain calling 5bets w/KQ, flopping straights
      villain openshoving $10 into $2 pot w/QQ on Axx board vs my AK

hows this even possible, cant i just take a break?

hand after hand after hand after hand..... weird, i never remember myself running this hot...

sure, in the long term, ill be winning those hands...after i bust my entire bankroll?

i worked so hard to get $10 to where it is, and now im gonna just lose it all?
  • 17 replies
    • Imimba1
      Imimba1
      Bronze
      I had such a tantrum not a long ago. I took of one week, it worked miracles.
    • MMPokerNab
      MMPokerNab
      Bronze
      i lost $80 on NL10 yesterday+today.. it really feels like crap. i didn't have this many coolers though, these hands are pretty sick.

try and relax, move down if you are afraid that you're jinxed. :) being comfortable playing is i think very important.

i'm sure things will get better if you just continue not tilting and playing the best you can.

you won't bust your roll if you're patient and.. calm. :f_grin: and surely you won't bust it if you move down for a while.

also, i think 8 BI swings are standard part of the game. as these examples show, you did nothing wrong.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Same thing happened to me, overall I'm 30BI below EV over 130k hands but had one really rough week where EV was +4BI yet I was down 12BI.

The cure is really just remembering why you play poker. Not for money, but to play the best poker you can (unless you do only play for money, then it might be a bit difficult) and it seems like from these hands you are doing that.

Whenever I am feeling sorry for myself, Schnitzelfish usually would have some good advice about working on what you can control, making sure you improve your game. Anything can happen in poker, and its unfortunate that the bad sticks with us more than the good (unless you like ship Sunday Storm or something).

One thing that definitely helps is dropping down, playing a limit you crush and being massively overrolled, the combination of these two things + decent volume works a charm. :f_biggrin:
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Imbaba1
      I had such a tantrum not a long ago. I took of one week, it worked miracles.
      yeah, i have to take a break... :(

Originally posted by MMPokerNab
      also, i think 8 BI swings are standard part of the game. as these examples show, you did nothing wrong.
      10BI's :( .... in 400 hands.... if this goes for 8000 hands, which is more than possible, ill loose what? like 200BI's? ;(
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      What makes you think it will continue for even 1 more hand? :f_biggrin:

A downswing is not a tangible thing, its our perception stringing together many separate and random events.

Yes, you COULD lose 200BI over the next 8000 hands. You could also win 200BI or 50BI or 2BI.

Anything can happen.

Just keep playing, and keep playing your best. That's all that matters, and all you can do anyway. :f_biggrin: A break may help you if you're tilted/not enjoying the game but ultimately you just have to keep on your A-Game and things will turn around.
    • MMPokerNab
      MMPokerNab
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zumpar
      10BI's :( .... in 400 hands.... if this goes for 8000 hands, which is more than possible, ill loose what? like 200BI's? ;(
      possible, but not very probable.

you still have >25BIs for NL10, so it's still relatively safe to play. but you can move down to NL5 and have a lot of BIs just to be safe!

you've moved once to NL10, you'll move up again. nothing to feel bad about.

or, like metza said, if you weren't afraid of the variance you could just continue confidently playing on.. but i know that's not so easy.

good luck buddy!
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Take a break, go out have a drink with friends, enjoy life.

Watch a couple of poker vids, put your music back on and come back with a positive mindset and start playing again.

Dont give up because variance is not on your site!! ;)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Watch a couple of poker vids
      I generally don't really recommend this when you're taking a break. When you take a break, I think it's best to just not to anything poker related, including watching videos/studying.

But yeah, it sounds like a break could do wonders for you! :)
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Hi Zumpar,

I've seen you around the forums quite a bit. I've seen some hands that you've posted and your attitude towards poker and I think I have a fair idea of what you're doing wrong and how you're not playing micros like you should be.

Add me, lets share skype, lets have some sweat sessions and some hand analysis, I really think I can help you out.

You need some logic injected you've been in a long term tilt for a very long time.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I would suggest you adjust your stop-loss when you return. if a break is your preferred option, it's obvious that losing so much has a hugely detrimental effect on your mindset for the game. I used to play to a 3BI loss and sit out but I had to lower it to 2BI recently, this had a dramatic effect on me when I resumed play.
      Just a thought is all.

Also, as mentioned above, a 'downswing' only lasts for one hand, since cards have no memory. I would also recommend learning more about variance, both good and bad. Understanding - and accepting - are key.

Let's hope you can turn it round, :heart:

Mal.
    • crodady
      crodady
      Bronze
      head up zumpar...i was in similiar situation few weeks ago ... i take week off and after that i manage to get back after few days

GL
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TinoLaan
      Watch a couple of poker vids
      I generally don't really recommend this when you're taking a break. When you take a break, I think it's best to just not to anything poker related, including watching videos/studying.

But yeah, it sounds like a break could do wonders for you! :)
      This :)

No poker, no thoughts about poker. Nothing.
    • MonaiPlox
      MonaiPlox
      Bronze
      All you said is about money, there is nothing about your game, attitude, skills only 'i have lost money, im afraid to play not to lose more money'. You have to stop playing for money, otherwise you can just do something else because when even bigger swing comes you will bust your roll. Im not accusing you, im tellin ya the truth.
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      This is just what ticks for me.

Take a rest, go out, have fun, come back, realise Im calm, watch vids to get into mindset, play poker. :f_cool:

Just what works for me.
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      Dude, maybe this will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7L0XAkktZ4
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      thx for all replies guys, im for sure taking a few days off and come back and crush it again! :)
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      this is just not fuckin real...

came back, lost 5BI's in 1000 hands...

KK<AA
      AA<QQ
      floped sets vs flopped straight
      KQ<88 on K8825 (valueshoved river cuz villain is the biggest station in the world, never folding a hand like 66 otr)
      AA=AA
      AA=AA (0.5 BI rake)

i just dont see how i can get away from this

im down to $240 from original $372 i had 5k hands ago playing purely nl10