One of WSOP 2012 play

• d3vin666
      d3vin666
      Bronze
      I don't know where to put this thread, so feel free to move this into the right section.

I was watching WSOP 2012 A. Esfandiari vs. S. Levy. This is quite an interesting hand, especially for beginner like me.

Esfandiari : Qc 2c (CO) 424800
      Levy : As 7c (BB) 160500

SB /BB :1200/2400

Esfandiari Raise 5,300, Levy Call 2900

Flop: Pot (14500)

Qh 4s Qs
      Levy checks, Esfandiari bet 6400, Levy call 6400

Turn: Pot (27300)

7s
      Levy checks, Esfandiari bet 13200, Levy Call 13200

River: Pot ( 53700 )

Ah
      Levy all-in 135300, Esfandiari Called.

What would you do if you were in Esfandiari's or Levy's shoes? Since I'm currently play uNL, there might be some lessons to apply this hand on uNL or small stakes.

Esfandiari called on the river, after he saw the flush draw. Could it be because he had the biggest stack on the table?

Levy made a daring move on the river, didn't he notice that his opponent might had Q trips while he had nothing but 2 pair of AQ.
  • 3 replies
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Seems fairly standard until river. I don't really see why Levy goes for such move in river. He turns his showdown value into very polarized bluff imo. Esfandiari has basically just bluff catcher in river, but he doesn't believe and I am not surprised at all.

Much better line for Levy would be to check river and if Esfandiari would then bet he can evaluate if it's better to hero call, fold or turn hand into bluff by shoving. Anyway bluff would have much more credibility this way.
    • d3vin666
      d3vin666
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ghaleon
      Seems fairly standard until river. I don't really see why Levy goes for such move in river. He turns his showdown value into very polarized bluff imo. Esfandiari has basically just bluff catcher in river, but he doesn't believe and I am not surprised at all.

Much better line for Levy would be to check river and if Esfandiari would then bet he can evaluate if it's better to hero call, fold or turn hand into bluff by shoving. Anyway bluff would have much more credibility this way.
      Yes, I agree with you. Mainly standard play until river. But what do you think Esfandiari's judgement at that time? I mean why he didn't believe it? Of course we are not talking about his gut feeling or personal thinking, but if we see this logically, could he call the river because he had bigger stack than Levy?

I would do the check/fold on the river if I were Levy. But maybe he had different thinking, could it be because he was short stacked at that time? and try to apply SS strategy? who knows...You said bluff had more credibility that way, but why? shouldn't we supposed to protect our stacks?
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I really dont get that over 2x pot shove on river. It can't be for value. So if it's a bluff, what is he trying to make Magician to fold? Qx? If he put him on Qx on the turn, he should have folded.

I think check-call might be fine, as that Ace is decent card to make 3rd barrell if Magician is bluffing. Or is it?