[NL2-NL10] TT set vs overshove

• hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Posted this hand in my blog but wanted to get some evaluation from here too.

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP2: $1.86 (93 bb)
      MP3: $2.09 (104.5 bb)
      CO: $3.02 (151 bb)
      BTN: $2.05 (102.5 bb)
      SB: $1.93 (96.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.03 (251.5 bb)
      MP1: $3.10 (155 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T T
      4 folds, BTN raises to $0.04, SB folds, Hero calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.09) 6 J T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.09) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.06, BTN raises to $2.01 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results:
      $0.21 pot ($0.01 rake)
      Final Board: 6 J T Q
      BTN mucked and won $0.20 ($0.10 net)
      Hero mucked T T and lost (-$0.10 net)

Villain is 17/12. I check the flop initially because the villain has 100% cbet so I'm looking to either c/r his cbet, or just flat it, depending on the size of the bet, but it backfires on me as you can see when he checks behind I bet the turn and hope I can draw some value out of the villain's Qx Jx hands, but then he shoves over the top of me. Given the line, I think he's likely to have AK here, QQ+ should bet the flop here, JJ doesn't really make sense to just spew all over the place like that at the sight of a straight draw. The only hands I can beat that I think he can have here are any 2 pairs with a Q (Q6/QT/QJ), or a straight draw with two hearts perhaps (Kxs most likely).

Do you think this is probably a good fold here? And do you think the line I took on the flop was sound, or should I have bet out at it?
  • 2 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop you can consider 3betting here, but if you don't feel comfortable playing OOP in 3bet pot with this hand calling is just fine.

Checking the flop, in order to check/raise is a good option, especially when villain cbets a lot.

On the turn I'd bet $0.08.
      When he shoves it gets ugly and it will be very hard for me to fold my set here on NL2 but I think folding is a good option against a tightish guy since you will probably end up against AK here.

Best,
      Plamen
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      I had considered 3betting it but as you say I'd rather not get called and be playing for a larger pot oop, I'll usualy end up having to let it go on most flops that bring overcards when I don't hit my set.

I'm glad to hear that the flop play was a good idea, I wasn't sure if my logic was flawed or not when he checked behind and I missed value.

It feels really close, I used pretty much my whole timebank coming to a decision. I don't think anyone can say it's a definite fold, a lot of people would say call, and some would be on the fence about it. If the villain's PFR is higher here, say 20+, maybe even 15+, I'd probably end up calling it.

Thanks for the swift response and feedback :)