SB: 69 BB
      BB: 68.5 BB
      UTG: 142 BB
      UTG+1: 48.5 BB
      MP: 100 BB
      MP+1: 31 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has Q:spade: Q:club:

fold, UTG+1 raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 13 BB, fold, fold, fold, UTG+1 raises to 25 BB, fold

opponent has played with vpip 8/6 over 50 hands. can I raise-fold here? I think his 3-bet range might of such a player might be AK+, QQ+ or even tighter, right? Maybe I should not even raise him here?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Farbwenz,

Preflop: Why are we raising to begin with if we are 3-bet/folding?

He is a bit short and he played tight so I wouldn't mind just calling preflop and taking it from there. Especially since SB and BB seem fishy (70 bb stacks).
    • farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      Sorry, but I do not get the concept of calling behind with QQ (or with AK in similar hands).

1) If an A or K shows up, we are likely beat. I would give up the hand and not even call a cbet.
      2) If no overcard shows up, what should be our line?
      - Calling the c-bet and giving up on the turn? That only increases our losses compared to earlier folds .
      - Calling c-bet and be willing to go broke ? Why not directly raise then?
      - Hoping that opponent does not c-bet, or hoping that he does not bet on the turn? According to the strategy articles on different player types, the rock won't stop rolling so easily.
      - raise/fold his cbet on a wet board? Seems also kind of spewy to me.

3) Setmining is also no option given his small stack. I'd certainly do so with any pair if he had a full stack, as he will be willing to go broke with his strong range.

I really feel uncomfortable by only calling behind, and as my general play is quite aggressive (VPIP/PFR usually~18/16, high AF,Aq, cbet values), I do not really know how to play the passive player. With AA in this spot I could consider a call/call/raise line or similar, but with QQ i usually just end up overplaying my hand.
      It would be very similar with AK: In 60% of cases, I miss. If K comes, I'm often dominated, and an A will only show up in 15% of all cases.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi farbenz,

Since you are 3-betting as a bluff you might as well have hands you can't play here. The value of your hand is wasted.

By calling you increase the chance you win the hand but also allow weaker opponents to enter the pot (SB and BB potentially). So why would we not want to play IP versus potential fish with a great hand as opposed to turning it into a bluff?

1) Sure we can give up a cbet and that would be fine against the nit
      2) This depends on all the boards and villains in the pot.

Nits, while some are more aggressive than others, won't just go broke with AK on random flops where they don't hit.

3) Set mining against him it's not profitable but our hand is better than a set miner and on top of that we give a chance for others to join the pot (or 3-bet squeeze).