[NL2-NL10] NL2 AJs

• Knyght
      I 3bet more to isolate the loosish player and take initiative here. I'm not sure if calling would have been wiser.

I hate donks. I dunno, I really dunno how to handle them. Did he hit top pair, the flush, drawing to the flush, what? No idea. Villain seems pretty passive but is unknown so I'm not sure how to take it. I don't want to inflate the pot any by raising middle pair and I don't feel I can throw away this hand to a donk bet.

But any queen beats me, and any two hearts, any heart can draw, with his range he could also have something like KT which has a good draw.

I feel like I'm unlikely to improve and fold the turn. I guess folding the turn here is the right move, but how do I handle this flop?

Party, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players

BB: $0.86 (43 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $2.78 (139 bb)
      MP3: $1.22 (61 bb)
      MP1: $2.64 (132 bb)
      UTG+2: $1.08 (54 bb)
      SB: $0.69 (34.5 bb)
      MP2: $1.30 (65 bb)
      CO: $1.94 (97 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A J
      3 folds, MP3 raises to $0.08, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.24, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.51) J Q 2 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.11) Q (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.68, Hero folds

$1.11 pot ($0.05 rake)
      Final Board: J Q 2 Q
      Hero mucked A J and lost (-$0.54 net)
      MP3 mucked and won $1.06 ($0.52 net)
  • 1 reply
    • kymupa

You didn't give any stats on villain, but from your comment it seems like you have some information about him?
      Preflop I'd only 3bet here against people who are super bad and expect to get called by a lot of worse.

His donk bet on the flop sucks here.
      Quite a bad board and then if we call we have to ask ourselves which cards we will want to see and continue. Actually the only good cards for us are A and J and given the fact that even if we hit them we might not have the best hand, and also that you said that he looks passive, I'd just fold it here and omit hard decisions on turn and river.

As played on the flop, folding the turn is good.