Buying a Cheap Car?

• maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

I'm currently 20 right now and I'm interested in buying a car. My budget for a car is $4,000 CAD, but I've been questioning whether or not I should spend that amount on a car. I'm out of high school, but I haven't gone to Uni/College(Canada) yet so I'm just working right now and taking online courses to upgrade some marks.

I have this mindset that a nice car is a symbol of success and feel that buying a cheap used car will make me look bad. If I buy a cheap car like a 1996 honda civic for $1000, I'll have more money saved in my bank account and have a lot of room to breathe. I can use the extra $3,000 to buy clothes, I won't need to worry about making rent (not a problem anyways), and other things.

But for some reason, I just feel like it'll make me look bad if I do buy a cheap car. I feel like my friends may not want to be seen in my car or any girl too(If I end up dating during the time I have this car).

What are your opinions? buy a cheap car and be very well off financially -- have $7,000 in bank OR buy a somewhat expensive car and be somewhat financially well off--- $3000ish?

Thanks in advance and this is a serious question BTW.

MB
  • 13 replies
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Go for the car! you'll love it like you never loved anything!

Anyways, at your age, without anything to pay, there's no reason not to spend it all!

Money is meant to be spent, it does nothing good in your bank account

I'd suggest a WRX or a EVO if you have the budget
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      With that budget any car your planning to buy is going to be a cheap car. Personally i'd buy a 1k car and take the rest and started grinding for a few months then really go baller and buy a porsche or something similar.
    • pappadjango
      pappadjango
      Bronze
      your first car is gonna be a ball of crap unless daddy buys it,at the end of the day it will give you freedom.simple
      love daddy and mammy:) p,s gtfo of my house
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Those who feel unsure if they drive a cheap car have penis issues. Us others drive what we want. :f_cool:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Buy the cheap car, just remember that the cheaper car will require more maintenance and tender loving care. Fact is, if you have to ask you can't afford a more expensive one, as relative as that is.
      Speaking of tender loving care, if your friends won't be seen in your car they aint friends sir, they are aquaintances! This is even more relevant to the young (or not so young, meh) ladies you mentioned.
      I know young people are more image conscious and think it matters how they look and are perceived, but it's all bs in the end. If the lady wants to date you she will, no matter what barriers you put in the way[we are only in charge because they let us, usually! :D ]

As suggested by Matej47, use the extra if it burns a hole in your pocket that much, but use it to go trading or playing poker. Get yourself a nice comfortable bankroll and go earn enough to buy a super-car or whatever your dream is.

Don't stress making the decision about a car, making the decision about the woman will be stressful enough!

Mal.
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      You're out of high school, son! Noone expects you to have 50K car, if you do that means that daddy bought it. Cars' primary purpose is to take you from A to B. If you really NEED a car, go buy a cheap one and use it. If you wanna buy a car for the sake of having one, then there's really no point. Also if you party like a baller no1 will care how u roll during day time, trust me ;)

P.S rofl @ your understanding of expensive car ~ 7k ?(
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Pfft nits all of you.

Go buy the car imo what kind of thing was you thinking of for that price range? Sure you not buying a Ferrari but if you are driving a half decent car you will feel better about yourself driving it than if you get a tin shed. And whatever people say others will judge you on things like what car you drive, not everyone but some will. Plus you're going to college if don't buy the car you want you will waste the rest of the money on beer (well i use the term waste loosely :D )
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PokerPPP

P.S rofl @ your understanding of expensive car ~ 7k ?(
      The most i've paid for a car so far is £700 lol
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Whatever you do, don't buy a Dacia!

They're too ugly.

Anyway.

Like previously mentioned, nobody will expect you to have an expensive car. I'm about your age, and nobody I know has an expensive car. Why? Because they don't need to! It's far more important for young drivers like you and me to just have a relatively cheap means of transportation that also allows us to get a bit more driving experience.

If you have the money, sure, buy a 30k car if you really want to. But even then, I would probably just buy a cheap one, simply because I wouldn't need an expensive car, and could easily just save the money or spend it on something else that I do really need.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Get a cheap one, only complete idiots spend most of their life rolls on cars, it's a bad investment.

Normal girls will judge you as a person and not by what car you are driving and it's not like you could buy a baller car now that all money hungry whores would be flocking around you. :f_biggrin:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Get a cheap one, only complete idiots spend most of their life rolls on cars, it's a bad investment.

Normal girls will judge you as a person and not by what car you are driving
      But not the stupid, materialistic but also really really hot ones that fuck like theres no tomorrow who you never have to see again :coolface:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly

But not the stupid, materialistic but also really really hot ones that fuck like theres no tomorrow who you never have to see again :coolface:
      Cheaper to buy a good looking hooker I'd imagine. :f_biggrin:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly

Cheaper to buy a good looking hooker I'd imagine. :f_biggrin:
      Hahaha yes fair point :s_biggrin: