A live home cash game hand

• acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      I played this hand in a live home game with some friends. The game was of course very loose and most of my friends were bad, calling stations players.

The villain is a big calling station. He chases his draws almost everytime and most of the times he goes in the showdown with some very bad hands (3rd pair etc). Also, he plays his big hands aggresively trying to get the money in (3bet preflop if raised all the big hands).

Blinds $0.1-$0.1

MP: $20
      CO: $30
      BU: $8
      SB: $30
      BB (Hero): $13.8

Preflop: Hero is BB with A :spade: , A :heart:
      MP raises $0.6, CO calls, BU calls,SB folds, Hero raises to $3, MP calls,2 folds.

Flop: ($7.3) 5 :club: , 8 :club: ,9 :club:
      Hero bets $5,MP calls

Turn: ($17.3) 7 :diamond:
      Hero bets $5.7 (all-in)

What do you think about my betsizes? Is the cbet on the flop good here? Should I have done a bigger cbet or a smaller cbet? Is the turn a standard check-fold situation?

(The CO had put $0.2 in the pot before the deal of the hand)
  • 7 replies
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Your raise preflop is very big, ideally I would want somebody to play against me when I hold pocket aces. Obviously our goal is to infalte the flop preflop so we can make bigger bets post flop but when I am 3betting I dont want to scare anybody away.

I assume though you have a read on him that he is calling almost everything there. I assume from your description thatfor the type of players you were playing against 3bet ranges and betsizing is something they were unaware of.

On the flop I would pot raise there or even shove against this kind of opponent. The board is very wet, he is a calling station and I would want to make him pay every time as much as possible for his straight and flush draws.

If he is indeed the player you described him to be he will not be folding any high flush, Ax that connected to the board and overpair or straight draw.
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      I think that my 3bet size is pretty standard (maybe I should have raised bigger against this player, not smaller). The thing is that I can't find the best line for the flop. Cbeting, shoving, checking, everything seems wrong to me.
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      300/60=5 times bigger.

I would opt from 60c to raise to 2-2.1. Standard or not dont mind on your line there much. Is we both said you might want to actually be raising bigger vs this kind of players. If he perceives your big raise as a weakness or he just doesnt fold be happy to value bet big.

Checking is the worse option as the board is very wet.

I would go for a pot size bet there and evaluate on the turn.

I cant see him holding a 6 on his hand very ofter in a 3bet pot there.
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Originally posted by elchipriota
      300/60=5 times bigger.

I would opt from 60c to raise to 2-2.1. Standard or not dont mind on your line there much. Is we both said you might want to actually be raising bigger vs this kind of players. If he perceives your big raise as a weakness or he just doesnt fold be happy to value bet big.

You know he is squeezing there right? CO/BU flat.

In a live game vs. donks I'm never folding tbh, I might even just overbet shove on the flop since I expect to get called by end OESD/FD. Making the squeeze a little bigger and having a pot sized bet on the flop would also be ideal.

(Again, this is only advice for a friendly live game where you're going to get called nearly all the time. Online play would be completed different).
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      just ship flop, they never fold 9x, overpair, smthg like K:club: Q anyways
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ains21
      Originally posted by elchipriota
      300/60=5 times bigger.

You know he is squeezing there right? CO/BU flat.

In a live game vs. donks I'm never folding tbh, I might even just overbet shove on the flop since I expect to get called by end OESD/FD. Making the squeeze a little bigger and having a pot sized bet on the flop would also be ideal.

(Again, this is only advice for a friendly live game where you're going to get called nearly all the time. Online play would be completed different).
      Ooop! My mistake guys. I thought we were on Btn facing a bet from CO.

No that is the play I would make as well there OOP.

I can be in your shoes, because all of us have these friends in home games where they will never fold/overvalue their hands. I feel that he will never be folding a 3bet pot there of the flop with any contact/over pair/ strong draw.

I feel our fold equity against him will be very small if not 0. You could consider raising pot or shoving since you dont have much behind as I said before. At least that is the line I would take against such an opponent in that situation in a home game.

Peace
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      Ok, thank you guys for the answers :) But yeah, obv making the squeeze bigger and shoving the flop would be the ideal move here.