Negative thinking

• CimkoPro
      CimkoPro
      Bronze
      Does anyone have problem with thinking always bad about poker whenever im all in(i play sss on stars)i always think "this guy is gonna suck me out" and every overcard that comes im like "this fucking fish hits again".Iv lost almost half of my bankroll and i think thats reason why im like this.I than checked my hands that i lost and i noticed i was tilting after getting sucked out 3-4 times in a row and was doing mistakes and decided that ill concentrate on my play a lot more and i manged to get it all back + i got now even more.But now i still have this problem when i wake up and think what im gonna do when i think of playing some poker i cant stop thinking that ppl will own me with worse hands.Anyone has this problem or had and solved it hope i can get some help and hope i dont need professional help :D :D :D
  • 8 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      thinking "i'm gonna win this hand" will not make good cards come ;) Just continue playing and watching for potential mistakes, and it should get better soon
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      thinking "i'm gonna win this hand" will not make good cards come
      If only!!
    • CimkoPro
      CimkoPro
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      thinking "i'm gonna win this hand" will not make good cards come ;) Just continue playing and watching for potential mistakes, and it should get better soon
      i think opposite like "im gonna lose" :)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey CimkoPro,

negative thinking is a pattern, which you have trained
      you need to eliminate it, but it requires hard work
      it is just extremly important to do, however

everything that happens around processed by 3 layers/parts of our brain
      (actually, its way more complicated, so you can google it if you want)

1st Neurophysiology (sensory system & negative patterns & habbits)
      2nd Emotion (emotions & memory)
      3rd Cognition (thoughts)

1st one collects the information and sends it to the emotion part (providing it's own guidelines)
      There the problem lies. We can't control our thoughs, we can control our emotions that cause thoughts. And our emotions are affected by Neurophysiology part. All the patterns are there.
      In the other words, you are unconsciously competent about applying wrong emotions to what your sensoring system collects.

That's how it works. You got bad beated, info goes to emotion level (where its also stored in the memory) and then to the cognitive part (you think about it). When this pattern repeats 5/10/15/x times, your emotion system shuts down at one point and information can't go further to a cognitive level - you are on tilt !

you need to retrain this pattern, by applying correct emotion

at the beginning you can help yourself by saying: I will win this hand and smile, laugh, think of something positive/whatsoever

Do it every single time when situation occur
      and after 1k/5k/10k times your brain will finnaly retrain this pattern
      and you will become unconsciously competent about not letting your negative feelings mix in

the whole pattern will become a habbit-> automated process and will go down to neurophysiology level (where all habbits and automated processes are stored). And when its there you are done with tilt. When we do something automatically, we don't think about it. It, basically, doesn't go to emotion level, therefore, can not cause any feelings (therefore thoughts)!

that's a very simplified scheme, but it works nearly this way
    • CimkoPro
      CimkoPro
      Bronze
      thx ill try it
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      Hey CimkoPro,

negative thinking is a pattern, which you have trained
      you need to eliminate it, but it requires hard work
      it is just extremly important to do, however

everything that happens around processed by 3 layers/parts of our brain
      (actually, its way more complicated, so you can google it if you want)

1st Neurophysiology (sensory system & negative patterns & habbits)
      2nd Emotion (emotions & memory)
      3rd Cognition (thoughts)

1st one collects the information and sends it to the emotion part (providing it's own guidelines)
      There the problem lies. We can't control our thoughs, we can control our emotions that cause thoughts. And our emotions are affected by Neurophysiology part. All the patterns are there.
      In the other words, you are unconsciously competent about applying wrong emotions to what your sensoring system collects.

That's how it works. You got bad beated, info goes to emotion level (where its also stored in the memory) and then to the cognitive part (you think about it). When this pattern repeats 5/10/15/x times, your emotion system shuts down at one point and information can't go further to a cognitive level - you are on tilt !

you need to retrain this pattern, by applying correct emotion

at the beginning you can help yourself by saying: I will win this hand and smile, laugh, think of something positive/whatsoever

Do it every single time when situation occur
      and after 1k/5k/10k times your brain will finnaly retrain this pattern
      and you will become unconsciously competent about not letting your negative feelings mix in

the whole pattern will become a habbit-> automated process and will go down to neurophysiology level (where all habbits and automated processes are stored). And when its there you are done with tilt. When we do something automatically, we don't think about it. It, basically, doesn't go to emotion level, therefore, can not cause any feelings (therefore thoughts)!

that's a very simplified scheme, but it works nearly this way
      Nice, are you psychologist? I actually learned more than poker on this forum :D
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      nope :) i just have a natural curiosity about what's going on in my head))
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      wow, thats amazing.
      thats the kind of things coach's should be teaching aswell.
      extremly good explanation.