League Play

• FrozenRope
      FrozenRope
      Bronze
      I know we have the BOD on Sundays already but what are your thought and oppinions on the following.

Was in irc the other day and asked about interest in a League for SNG players. Just and idea I think it would be fun to have kind of a world league with teams from differnet countries. I have seen it on TV where they have teams of players play each other. I'm sure we would need different levels of buyins or maybe just a standard $5 sng.

Payouts could be tweaked so some of the prize pool goes to end of the league championship.

Team sizes not sure maybe 3-4 to a team, to make it fair if a country have to many players interested they have a SNG top 4 make the team.

I'm not the greatest at organizing things of this nature but seeing as this is such a big community with many talented people someone would be able to.

These are just a few things I was thinking about think it would be alot of fun for the commmunity at Pokerstrategy.
  • 23 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      The idea is great, as I said in the IRC channel, but this would take alot of organizing, for such a small amount of players to play. Who decides on who gets to play? It would have to be on different limits, as you can't put $1 players against $100 players.

Also why would you want to play against good players? its -ev if you ask me. As I think about it, I wouldn't play this, unless their was an added prize pool, to make it +ev in the long run. I certaintly wouldn't expect PS to put in the time and money to create such a league, as its aimed at a small number of players!
    • FrozenRope
      FrozenRope
      Bronze
      Not really a small amount of players, we could have teams from all over the world so the player amount is unlimited. I could see more players playing than the BOD, the BOD has a small amount of players yet is extremely fun.

Not saying this is a great idea, it would certainly take alot of work. Pokerstrategy has so many differnet language forums which teams could also join from other PS communities. Again more work as if the people at pokerstrategy don't have enough to do already. Maybe it's something they would consider as they have great promos that are alot of fun.
    • FrozenRope
      FrozenRope
      Bronze
      Maybe we don't even have to do SNG format a better format could be a tourney league as well the ideas are endless. Private weekly tournaments with a leadboard and a tournament of champions. With the prize payouts tweaked so some funds are left for the champion final.

We do a live one which is alot of fun.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      In the BOD, we play against 20'000 other people, so its not like we are playing against other good players in general. Their is no link between PS and stars in terms of us playing the BOD. To host a league, they would need to create a password protected SnG table, which again I can imagine is more $$$ for PS to pay. Yes their is alot of countries, but even if you had 50 people from each country, that is a tiny amount of the PS members. So it simply isn't fair on other players! I really dont think that this is possible, sure it could be an agreement between players, but I dont think PS could make such a league. Its simply too time consuming and fund consuming for a small amount of players. Dont forget PS has to look after thousands of members, not just a few hundred.
    • FrozenRope
      FrozenRope
      Bronze
      So yes maybe the idea of the SNG world teams wouldn't work. But certainly a League for MTT would, the Russian PS community has one. Certainly the entry price would include a rake which would help pay for the private room, as in most cases thats all online poker rooms care about is rake they generate. You see lots of private rooms for leagues would be nice to have one for this community. I think it would help boost interest , keep the forums buzzing just as the BOD does for the few that play in it.

I know that pokerstrategy has alot of members, and they have alot of work to do on a daily basis. But we are a community none the less, those that want to participate can. Plenty of people don't contribute back the the community that has givien them a start. I'm not one to sit back, I do like to involve myself with that I present a few ideas as what else can I do.

There are ways to make things work, I will leave any future comments till the Mods read this topic. Like cooking to many cooks spoil the broth.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Frozenrope thanks for bringing ideas into the community :)

The first idea with SNG (or MTT teams) from around the world has already come up in planning once or twice (on an even larger scale than described here) and I will check in how far it has advanced. As such large multi-language-community projects require lots and lots of planning it would be hard for me to set it up without sufficient backing from the other communities.

There is however the option (since we have lots of countries in the English community) of having country teams that compete against one another here.

I would also be all for regular community tournaments and leagues - especially if members from the community help in organizing. We had a community Omaha and NL tournament a while back (which was very fun (party due to me winning the Omaha one)) and repeating this on a regular basis would be something I would gladly support.

So any more concrete plan- and how this league should look? :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • FrozenRope
      FrozenRope
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply SoyCD

It is nice to know the idea is out there even on a larger scale would be interesting to be apart of. Keep us posted on your findings.

First I will outline my original idea. PLease bare in mind I'm not the most organize person in the world.

Lets see if we could have maybe 4 - 6 diffenrent locations in the English community interested. Each location could hold a qualifing sng, the top 4 players would make the team.

Say Team Canada, Team UK, Team Europe, Team Aussie, Team Germany, Team Sweden

Now with 4 players per team each player has to play 5 SNG each, round you can only have 1 player per country. You would get 10points for 1st plus the cash for winning, 5 points for 2nd plus the cash. 3rd 3 points no cash, 4th 2 points no cash,5th 1 point no cash, 6th no points and no cash.

I have seen private SNG rooms on Titan I would have to look into the cost for these private rooms.

Prizes and Payouts

To be fesible for more people to enter, I suggest we rent a $1 SNG room from Titan or whatever platform is best.

Each player would have to pay their own buyin for 5 sng x $1.10 = $5.50
      I would also like to have a buy in fee for the event which would be paid in advance to a reputable person such as SoyCD or TribunCaesar. These fee is up for negotation but I suggest $10 to $20. Any cost to rent a private room would come out of the buyin fee any remain amount would then be for the finals Top 6 finishers.

If we had a $10 fee it would look like this

$40 per team x 6 teams = $240 prize pool Where the top 6 point receivers would play off. So the total this would cost each play would be $15.50

If it was a $20 entry is would just be a doubled payout.

First and foremost we would have to see how many would be interested in doing this. I think it would be fun but alot of work. Please use this forum to contribute if your interested, if this is not something you would not want to do then please don't respond. If there is interest I can do the best I can to organize this event.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Ok a potential structure (or at least guideline - mostly inspired by yours):

The people sign up for the teams of their respective country - these have 3-4 people per team. In case a team has more than 3/4 people applying for it a qualification SNG (single or multitable) decides who gets a spot on the country team (top 3 or 4 finishers get to represent their country).

After the initial qualifier SNGs we have the country teams: We have either 6 or 10 countries participating - depending on the amount of countries that put up teams (potentially we could also do something like 12 teams with two groups of 6 teams (so we play SH sngs) of which the top 3 advance to the second stage)

These teams then compete in a format like in the country competitions that can be seen on TV - with each player competing in a SNG with the ability to collect points for his team. The teams with the most points after all SNGs have been played win.

The SNGs are held somewhere where we can open private SNGs for preferably low-buyins ($1-$5) so that people of all status ranks can take part

Aside from winning the money in the SNGs and bringing honor to their country by winning - I will try to organize prizes for the Top Team (or top 2 teams if lots of people take part)

I would of course provide news coverage. More ideas?
    • ForTexi
      ForTexi
      Bronze
      Woo would be cool.
    • FrozenRope
      FrozenRope
      Bronze
      Great ideas SoyCD, depending on the interest though. I am proud to say I would be in for Canada. My only formats Titan and PokerStars.

Depending on numbers again we can either do 6 man SNG or 10 man.

Do you not like the idea of paying the prize pool fee. I think that having a goal ie the Grand final where they can win a decent prize without much risk.

Like that you would try to get prizes very generous.

Maybe this will get attention if you make a announcement post or write up if you can find the time.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Well I think the buy-in from everyone might be a reason for many players not to take part (although it would also be reason to take it more seriously for them)

But if I can just organize a prizepool then we can skip the extra "investment" step - so I will see what I can do there :)
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Soy, I really like the way in which you are accepting and taking seriously all types of ideas and that you are ready to invest time and effort for our fun. Just to mention it, I don't want to sound like a groveller but this is my opinion :)
    • FrozenRope
      FrozenRope
      Bronze
      Yes SoyCD fincybg is so correct, your time and efforts you put into this community is top drawer if you ask me. Your quick to respond to everyones questions and if you don't have the answer directly you take the time to find the correct one. I thank you personally for keeping an open mind for new ideas. You do a thankless job for the most part and just know that you are apperciated here.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      If you think you can organize this, then great. I still see a huge problem with having low limit players, playing against higher stakes players. I would be interested in playing, if the prizepool was a nice layout. Otherwise the whole thing is just playing for bragging rights, and is -ev. Which goes against everything PS teaches.

Would be great if this can be pulled off.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze

Thank you, Soy
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Thank you for the nice words finchy and frozenrope (and err the very accurate picture swiss :P ) its always good to know one's work is appreciated :)

I should have a bit more concrete plans (and results on possible contributions from PokerStrategy) sometime in the next few days.
    • Wulber1973
      Wulber1973
      Bronze
      Sounds like an excellent idea.

Obviously there is going to be a varying standard of players. You could try and set-up leagues for the players PokerStrategy rank. Any fee the players are gonna have to pay should be kept low.

As well as team leagues, there could be a Heads-Up league.

I have ran a Poker League in the boozer I ran and in some other places, any help I can offer I will try my best.
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Good idea...
      I would proudly represent Iceland :)
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      I came across this yesterday.. http://www.pokerroom.com/poker/team/
      As pokerroom will soon be a partner of pokerstrategy, something may be organized in the future.