[NL20-NL50] AQo TPGK OOP vs strange river raise

• AchillesBG
      AchillesBG
      Gold
      Prima, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $20.50 (102.5 bb)
      BB: $22.58 (112.9 bb)
      CO: $18.07 (90.4 bb)
      BTN: $55.76 (278.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:spade: Q:heart:
      CO raises to $0.60, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.50, BB folds

Flop: ($1.40) A:heart: 3:spade: 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($1.40) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.90, CO calls $0.90

River: ($3.20) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.10, CO raises to $6.80, Hero folds

Unknown.

I decided to just call preflop. I guess 3betting is better vs unknown?

Turn and river bet sizes? The river raise is very stange but i don`t think i can expect bluffs from unknown after check/calling the flop as PFR?
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I would check turn as well. When he checks back he doesn't have Ax or flushdraw, he might have some middle pair that is way behind, some free cards that are way behind and a couple of 8x hands that check back that now have trips.

If you do decide to bet it's because you do actually expect to see some Ax calling down so I would bet slightly bigger on turn and river whilst still folding to the raise. In my view he can have 8x but I can't say for sure he won't be spewy with some other hand. The pot odds aren't good enough that I want to find out and you can take his money in very sure spots, you don't need to make such close plays against the bigger fish, unless the others can get to him quicker than you.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Your play seems fine to me. I see no reason to check the turn and there is a lot of value. If he is a fish i think 3b is better though. Dont mind folding river now when he is rarely taking this line with anything other than 8x
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      You obviously have the best hand there 90% of the time but people at NL20 almost never check back any sort of hand there so it's hard to get value imo. The more likely your opponent is to pot control some hands, the easier it is to get value but from my experience, your average NL20 recreational player cbets there all his Ax hands and quite a few middle pairs.