[NL2-NL10] nl10 sh KTs otb

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      this was a bit of a strange hand and i felt a little sick bluffing against a bad player this way. the minraise pre says it all and i decided to call IP.. maybe this is bad?

also i don't really see any reason to raise here. so when he c/c ott i doubt he has a Q because i jsut expect him to 2xbarrel with that sort of hand. so his range consists of either draws or some weaker SDV hand. once the river bricks all draws i think if i bet i can take the pot by credibly representing a Qx hand. is this just spew vs a weak player like this?

Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $20.12 (201.2 bb)
      BB: $10 (100 bb)
      MP: $12.13 (121.3 bb)
      UTG: $11.03 (110.3 bb)
      SB: $11 (110 bb)
      CO: $27.64 (276.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K T
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, SB raises to $0.40, BB folds, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.90) 9 Q 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Turn: ($1.30) 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.62, SB calls $0.62

River: ($2.54) Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.90, SB folds

Results:
      $2.54 pot ($0.12 rake)
      Final Board: 9 Q 3 7 Q
      Hero mucked K T and won $2.42 ($1.20 net)
      SB mucked and lost (-$1.22 net)
  • 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DrDunne,

Preflop: If the player in SB is a fish I don't like min raising the BTN. We should open 3x for value (our steal range will be smaller/stronger with a fish behind).

As played I'd just call his min 3-bet w/ position.

Flop: We have a really strong combo draw here but it would most likely still be too light to get it all in on the flop.

So I don't mind calling and betting the turn as you did however I really don't like our bet size.

Since our plan is to bet almost every river we should bet bigger on the turn:
      A) pot is bigger when we hit
      B) pot is bigger when we bluff and take it down (as played).

Considering how villain played and bet I like our river bet. It's possible that he folds a hand that already beat like TJ but he can also fold A high and various smaller pairs.

I'd probably bet about the same, maybe 1.7+
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      ah of course.. your comments about turn play make so much sense. i can't imagine why i thought this would be a good sized bet.

and about the preflop sizing, i usually just open 2.5x otb as standard but party doesn't let me do this without me having to type it in every time :rolleyes: i'll keep this idea in mind tho and start opening larger vs players who obviously don't pay attention :) i do it sometimes, but other times i just dont think about it.

thanks for the eval!