[NL2-NL10] nl10 98s SQZ from blinds

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      this was interesting for me. i feel sick doing this because i'm so used to playing straightforward but the line seems to be successful a fair amount of the time...

the problem here is villain was unknown.

Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $10 (100 bb)
      CO: $8.46 (84.6 bb)
      BTN: $3.36 (33.6 bb)
      MP: $14.74 (147.4 bb)
      BB: $8.29 (82.9 bb)
      UTG: $10 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9 T
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.30, BTN folds, Hero raises to $1.10, BB folds, MP calls $0.80, CO folds

Flop: ($2.60) 8 7 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.30, MP calls $1.30

Turn: ($5.20) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, MP calls $2.50

River: ($10.20) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.10 and is all-in, MP folds

Results:
      $10.20 pot ($0.51 rake)
      Final Board: 8 7 4 Q A
      Hero mucked 9 T and won $9.69 ($4.79 net)
      MP mucked and lost (-$4.90 net)
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DrDunne,

Preflop: My default is to not squeeze bluff with potential fish in the pot until i know more about the fish.

Why? Because I expect to actually get called a fair amount by the fish and thus I'd prefer to expend my value range rather than bluff.

As played we get called by the full stack so not the fish which is good (he may still be a fish but we have no reason to believe that).

The turn and river came down so nice that it almost bagged us for a 3-barrel bluff and I agree with the line you took.

Villain's range is usually 99, TT, JJ possibly 55/66 so he will fold that often if not always on the river.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      hmmmmm ok! the reason why i say i felt sick is because when people call 3bets IP for some reason i always just assume a hand like AQ. i know he can have many many more hands, but i think i played this hand badly not because of the line i took but because i took this line without considering villain's range enough.

i agree with your thoughts on squeezing pre with such a hand vs fish so i'll try not to do this in future.

once the flop comes out, my thinking was that i can't just cbet once since that's just donating money given how likely it is that he will float IP. once the Q comes out i think "SCARECARD!" and bet, then i get called and see another scarecard on the river and think well, time for a 3barrel! but what sort of range would you give to a fullstacked unknown here at each street? and how does this range change through his reactions to my plays?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      hmmmmm ok! the reason why i say i felt sick is because when people call 3bets IP for some reason i always just assume a hand like AQ. i know he can have many many more hands, but i think i played this hand badly not because of the line i took but because i took this line without considering villain's range enough.

i agree with your thoughts on squeezing pre with such a hand vs fish so i'll try not to do this in future.

once the flop comes out, my thinking was that i can't just cbet once since that's just donating money given how likely it is that he will float IP. once the Q comes out i think "SCARECARD!" and bet, then i get called and see another scarecard on the river and think well, time for a 3barrel! but what sort of range would you give to a fullstacked unknown here at each street? and how does this range change through his reactions to my plays?
      Re: range

I posted my range above.

Without info I wouldn't give him a ton of overcard floats on the flop. Lots of guys at 10nl call to hit and if their AQ/AJ misses they fold the flop.

So in this case I think his range is heavy towards PPs.