[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH, TT middle pair

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $2.19 (109.5 bb)
      Hero (MP): $2.03 (101.5 bb)
      CO: $0.90 (45 bb)
      BTN: $2 (100 bb)
      SB: $3.73 (186.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T T
      CO posts BB OOP, Hero raises to $0.08, CO calls $0.06, 2 folds, BB calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.25) 5 Q 8 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.16, CO folds, BB calls $0.16

Turn: ($0.57) 5 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.57) 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16

Is it reasonable to assume that we gonna be ahead of pocket 99 or 77, and 8x hands often enough to justify the river call?
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop raising is good.

I don't mind cbetting on the flop, but then what is the plan for the turn? On which cards are you going to bet?

As played on the flop, I think we have to bet on the turn.
      The 5 is a good card, since it's quite unusual for him to have a 5x, also I expect 8x/99/draws to call us. Also by betting we can take a free SD and don't have to call a river bet.

On the river calling is fine given these odds.

Best,
      Plamen
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi Plamen,

Thanks for your reply.

So when we are playing for pot-control with a middle pair, it's better to bet on turn / check behind river on a drawy board? So we kinda both protect the hand and keep the pot small. Also, ~2/3 pot bet is okay or too little?

What if the board was dry? Do like I did? Check-behind turn and re-evaluate river?

Regards,

German
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      Hi Plamen,

Thanks for your reply.

So when we are playing for pot-control with a middle pair, it's better to bet on turn / check behind river on a drawy board? So we kinda both protect the hand and keep the pot small. Also, ~2/3 pot bet is okay or too little?

What if the board was dry? Do like I did? Check-behind turn and re-evaluate river?

Regards,

German
      The reason we normally bet flop/turn and check river is because by the river draws are no longer paying us. So betting flop/turn maximizes the value versus those hands and on the river he has a lot smaller range of worse hands that can call.

If the board is completely dry then we can't really valuebet so thin on the turn and we'd check back to play the river.