Search & destroy leaks in game

• KowKain
      KowKain
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

this is kind of my first real relevant post here, so I think I should start with a little introduction of my career so far.
      Im 22 years old, and have been playing poker since mid 2010, taking game bit more seriously since beginning of this year.
      Was successful in building my BR for NL5 level and have some history on NL10 aswell, since luck's been good to me in a Milestone promotion last May.
      The biggest mistake made was never dropping a limit when I should have, and being an undisciplined BRM fish, spending most of my earnings on MTTs and SnG (I've blocked them for the time being when I got mad seeing how much Ive actually lost there; -600€ sng, -350€ MTTs)
      Have had some success on Partypoker MTTs, playing 1$-3$ buyin, earning me a neat profit just over 1000€. But I've spent that in real life for other purpuses - biggest mistake I ever made during this brief career.
      I've been a member of this comunity ever since but haven't posted much, mostly reading articles in the strategy section.

The reason for me to open up this topic is, I've gathered quite a large sample over the last year or so and since 2012 is coming to an end, I thought maybe I could seek help from you guys to try to take me to the further level in the next year.

The stats posted are NL2 FR games, played exclusively on Pokerstars. What I want to ask from you guys is, looking through my stats, maybe someone could warn me about my leaks and advise me so I can grow as a player.

Way I percieve myself to be is a bit looser player preflop, with most of my game decisions based on the flop texture and player impression I'm playing against.
      (We're all kind of like that I suppose, so nothing really clever there, but still - what I'm trying to point out is I'll deviate from standard game [even on this level!] if I believe it to be profitable vs someone, ofc I'll get burned often making marginal calls :) )

Some brainstorming questions:

- Could I beat NL10 with these exact stats?
      - How to lose less from the BB?
      -

Anyway here's the stats so feel free to constructively critisise me in all ways possible.

Well, thats about it, sorry for the long post, but I tend to say quite a lot before I get to the point. :D

Happy holidays, merry x-mas, and a happy new year!

Note: Results have been filtered to include stats from 7-10 players, hero stack >80bbs
  • 9 replies
    • ProfitsofDoom
      ProfitsofDoom
      Basic
      I don't play full ring, so i'm kind of going off of what i get in Leakbuster for 6 max games. i don't have any FR hands, so it won't allow me run an analysis. I'm sure the numbers for FR are a bit tighter. I have read Blackrain79's "crushing the microstakes", he has played millions of hands at those stakes, definitely recommend checking out his e-book.

But looks like your VPIP is kinda high for FR, and the gap between your VPIP/PFR is pretty large. Your 3 bet % is probably fine for these stakes. and looks like your WTSD% is a bit high, and your AF could be a bit higher.

As far as the blinds, in general people will be losing from the blinds. I would just recommend tightening up from the blinds.

Again, i don't play FR games, so take what my advice with a grain of salt. i'm just going off of what i saw in Blackrain's book, and Leakbuster. but i'm sure there are some FR regulars that will have more info.

good luck!
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      I am playing NL2 FR on stars too, but can see I haven't played you yet :)

But to the question, I think you stats look decent, maybe your VPIP is a bit too high, but I wouldn't worry. IMO the stats aren't very important in NL2, you just have too pick on the weakest fish and don't play big hands vs. the nits, so your stats are gonna be higher at this stake.

About losing less from the BB my guess would be raise more call less, since you are most likely to play OOP, but i don't think it too unusual to be losing from the blinds since we are forced to pay in these positions.

About beating NL10 with these stats. No, you will probably get crushed up there with these stats, I think 15/13 (VPIP/PFR) will be more likely to be good stats at that limit. But i do think that a lot of players at that limit might be a bit too nitty, but thats basically just a guess. Don't know too much about the rest of the stats for NL10 since i'm not going to study it yet since i think it's going to mislead you at NL2 and NL5.
    • KowKain
      KowKain
      Bronze
      Thank you for your input, JC.

Indeed my, VPIP is abit off, but I think I manage well postflop and also increment is due to calling minraises and such, all because of the odds. Can't really fold anything when getting 6:1 preflop.

Maybe this is a leak, it certainly would be at higher limits, but down here, players just don't fold often enough, so I guess I'm geting pretty good implied odds overall.
      I'm still a pretty decent winner over this sample.

One question that bothers me most is this - The stats for NL5 are almost identical to these (I will post them), one half sample size though.

But in all seriousness, I was running so growse everytime I moved up, I almost always ruined my bankroll.

Now I don't know if this is "variance", or are the ppl at NL5 SO MUCH better than those of NL2... I really don't believe that, but prove me otherwise, if you can :)

Anyway, I'll be happy to hear any input from anyone, and stats of NL5 fullstack games follow. Its filtered to include play with 5+ players, and a stack of over 80bb.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi KowKain,

This looks like it may be an interesting discussion beginning here, would you like me to move it to our blogs forums for you? It would a great way to get lots of opinions and you could track your progress and meet other likeminded players on similar routes. :)

Regards,

Mal.
    • KowKain
      KowKain
      Bronze
      HI,

sorry for late answer. :)

Yes, if you think it would be more appropriate there, then by all means, move it :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Your wish is my command. :)
    • KowKain
      KowKain
      Bronze
      ******* HOLY CRAP I've NEVER FELT THAT!*********

Here we go... Last 10 days or so were - catastrophic if I put it in mild term. I don't know what happend but since completing the project of clearing out that No Deposit Bonus, thing have started to turn down on me.

At first I though, ok, bumpy ride, little downswing, it'll pass. All while watching my roll numbers declining... So I said to myself: "grind it out, it's nothing brutal, just standard unlucky moment."

So, OK, I lied to myself for awhile, but then all started to collapse. I couldn't find any motivation for the game, gambled as this was the only way to get me excited (in poker, that is ), all while being unable to pull the cord, and stop playing while I was still relatively rich...

But just today, after finishing this session of gambling, donking, maniac like aggression I realised - Dude, you've totally lost it. And looking in retrospective, this is exactly what happend. Since a few days ago, I've started to HATE the game, HATE the software, the regs, the fish... I really have no idea what to do to get my sht back together and start playing normal game!

It's like there's no purpose in playing anymore. I don't know - maybe I'm fed up, maybe its just "variace" (def. not), or maybe my mind finally percieved I'm not capable of playing good poker. Anyone can gamble, but can you really play consistent? Don't know abt you, but currently I surely can't.

So my question to you is:

+ How can I get back into mindset?
      + Would you recommend any relaxation techniques for before and after the session?
      + When to know, whether you should play or not?

Damnit, I've been interested in this game for over two years, had some success, know how to play profitably, but still - haven't progressed in either my game, or mental state!
      (really dissapointed in myself) It's like I'm going through this everlasting subtle tilt in which if I even think about cards, I get agitated - let alone I should actually play any.

I needed to get that out....

Btw, $100 down in 5000k hands on NL4. sucks!

I think it maybe due to lacking the motivation, because I really don't have any goal.... I need to ask you grinders out there:

+ Which limits would I need to play, to be able to progress in game (with something like 15k hands/month, and winrate round 5bb/100) and withdraw around 200 € ($260) per month )?
      + What really are realistic expectations of online poker?

Will give up on massmultitabling for awhile, cuz I'm just not focused anymore, decrease the number from maximum to 2-3 max

This may seem moronic post but I really need your advice on how to proceed at all. I'm tilted, I'm lost, I lack motivation.

TY & Good Fortune on the felt
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there KowKain and welcome to blogs! :)

Now, if you're having those kind of problems, try this guy, he's super famous and know all about this stuff. Just ask him a question.

Schnitzelfisch Q & A - Become a productive poker player!

I hope that is of some use to you.

Regards,

Mal.
    • KowKain
      KowKain
      Bronze
      Thanks for your advice!

I will indeed post in that thread as soon as I get more time to concentrate on the game. :D