[NL2-NL10] SH NL2, AKs vs. a monster

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $1.10 (55 bb)
      CO: $2.73 (136.5 bb)
      BTN: $1.67 (83.5 bb)
      SB: $2.11 (105.5 bb)
      BB: $2.27 (113.5 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $2.03 (101.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K A
      Hero raises to $0.08, 3 folds, SB raises to $0.22, BB folds, Hero calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.46) J T 6 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.26) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.49 and is all-in, Hero?

Is it okay to call with AK OOP? I don't really like shoving preflop with AK...we are losing even to pocket deuces most of the time.

Flop is a call because it's clear enough that our implied odds are the opponents stack, not less.

On the turn, we don't have enough odds for a call with just a FD + gutshot against AA. However, we would have 55% equity vs. KK.

Is it flipping anyway, and it doesn't really matter what Hero decides?

NB: If one might call it a read, the villain didn't take a second to think about before betting pot size and shoving the turn. Maybe KK would think for a while?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey German,

Preflop: Your argument that you are losing to pocket deuces most of the time is a bit weak. AKss has great equity against a wide array of hands. Against 22 we have exactly 50/50 equity.

The value of 4-betting a hand like this comes from the time you collect the dead money and/or the times when stacks off light.

Even if he shoves QQ+, AK we are still in decent shape.

Now here we are actually IP so calling is a bit better although if we have any aggressive dynamic I'd 4-bet and go with the hand.

As played are you sure about that 55% equity vs KK on the turn? It's more like 35%.

Against TT+ we have roughly 30% equity so unless he ever bluffs we can't call.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Oh...I can't even understand how it's possible to screw up so much.

1) Of course we are IP
      2) I included AKo in my equity comparison vs. 22 for some reason
      3) Don't even know what happened with vs. KK calculation...maybe mistake in the board cards

Sorry, Bogdan :) You must think that I'm an idiot now :D

Thanks for your corrections.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      Oh...I can't even understand how it's possible to screw up so much.

1) Of course we are IP
      2) I included AKo in my equity comparison vs. 22 for some reason
      3) Don't even know what happened with vs. KK calculation...maybe mistake in the board cards

Sorry, Bogdan :) You must think that I'm an idiot now :D

Thanks for your corrections.
      No worries, I've seen worse ;)

Maybe you had a bit too much to drink on a Saturday night, so we'll leave it at that :s_biggrin: