This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] SH NL2, AKs vs. a monster

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $1.10 (55 bb)
      CO: $2.73 (136.5 bb)
      BTN: $1.67 (83.5 bb)
      SB: $2.11 (105.5 bb)
      BB: $2.27 (113.5 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $2.03 (101.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K A
      Hero raises to $0.08, 3 folds, SB raises to $0.22, BB folds, Hero calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.46) J T 6 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.26) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.49 and is all-in, Hero?

Is it okay to call with AK OOP? I don't really like shoving preflop with AK...we are losing even to pocket deuces most of the time.

Flop is a call because it's clear enough that our implied odds are the opponents stack, not less.

On the turn, we don't have enough odds for a call with just a FD + gutshot against AA. However, we would have 55% equity vs. KK.

Is it flipping anyway, and it doesn't really matter what Hero decides?

NB: If one might call it a read, the villain didn't take a second to think about before betting pot size and shoving the turn. Maybe KK would think for a while?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey German,

Preflop: Your argument that you are losing to pocket deuces most of the time is a bit weak. AKss has great equity against a wide array of hands. Against 22 we have exactly 50/50 equity.

The value of 4-betting a hand like this comes from the time you collect the dead money and/or the times when stacks off light.

Even if he shoves QQ+, AK we are still in decent shape.

Now here we are actually IP so calling is a bit better although if we have any aggressive dynamic I'd 4-bet and go with the hand.

As played are you sure about that 55% equity vs KK on the turn? It's more like 35%.

Against TT+ we have roughly 30% equity so unless he ever bluffs we can't call.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Oh...I can't even understand how it's possible to screw up so much.

1) Of course we are IP
      2) I included AKo in my equity comparison vs. 22 for some reason
      3) Don't even know what happened with vs. KK calculation...maybe mistake in the board cards

Sorry, Bogdan :) You must think that I'm an idiot now :D

Thanks for your corrections.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      Oh...I can't even understand how it's possible to screw up so much.

1) Of course we are IP
      2) I included AKo in my equity comparison vs. 22 for some reason
      3) Don't even know what happened with vs. KK calculation...maybe mistake in the board cards

Sorry, Bogdan :) You must think that I'm an idiot now :D

Thanks for your corrections.
      No worries, I've seen worse ;)

Maybe you had a bit too much to drink on a Saturday night, so we'll leave it at that :s_biggrin: