Hero checks, BTN checks

RIVER ($0.85) A:spade: 8:spade: Q:heart: 9:heart: T:spade:

Hero bets $0.40, BTN calls $0.40

BTN shows J:diamond: 9:spade:
      (Pre 35%, Flop 16.4%, Turn 11.4%)

Hero shows Q:diamond: T:heart:
      (Pre 65%, Flop 83.6%, Turn 88.6%)

BTN wins $1.54

I believe on river we have an easy open for value, i am surprised he didn't bet himself because i would have easily called 2/3 bet from him, he is bluffy.
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Dracsharp,

Preflop: Despite him being very loose I think that our call is also marginal. What's our plan postflop?

Against a 65% range we are 50/50 preflop and we don't have position or initiative. Villain looks really aggro on the flop but slows down later.

How do you plan on playing flops that you miss (which is most)?

As played that river is a bit ugly because it completes a ton of draws. Since he checked the turn he is less likely to have the flush but could easily have a J (pretty much all Jx that open preflop except AJ, 8J, QJ).

So the question I'd have for you is what hands check the turn that can call a river bet? I can see a few but it may not be enough to vbet (I can see 8T, 9T, Q8, KK)
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      Countless weak ax in his range might be willing to look me up but checks the turn because he realizes he most likely putting money in against a better one, even qx could decide to bluffcatch.

It's annoying to fight loose stealers especially if they don't fold to 3b, only way i saw fighting this guy was postflop, where the plan mostly c/c c/f b/f
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Dracsharp
      Countless weak ax in his range might be willing to look me up but checks the turn because he realizes he most likely putting money in against a better one, even qx could decide to bluffcatch.

It's annoying to fight loose stealers especially if they don't fold to 3b, only way i saw fighting this guy was postflop, where the plan mostly c/c c/f b/f
      There's a lot of Ax still betting there so I wouldn't say countless (I agree that he may have a few here and there) but unless we've him seen check TP like this I wouldn't assign many in his range.

Normally you want to defend vs loose stealers that don't fold to 3-bets in 2 ways:

A) 3-bet only value but expend our value range (let's say AJs+, AQo+, TT+)
      B) call stronger ranges that have decent equity versus his range and may allow us to bluff with more equity postflop (if needed).
    • Dracsharp
      Dracsharp
      Bronze
      Thanks i agree but how loose should we just call against him and with what range ?

We also have a fish in the bb, and if we don't fight back 71% of the time he should do it every single time, ignoring his absolute position and equity. This only would get worse if he were to use 2bb sizing and we have a nit with us, we would be pretty much a one man show and he needs a fold 57% of the time without counting his other advantages.

Of course calling our light value range with his weaker cards should sink him sooner or later.

I have a bit related related question since calling in with sc-s low pp-s are going to be painful especially oop so guess if we can this should be our bluff 3b range but other than that we muck it ?

Other question is how profitable is it to call in with low pp in the blinds ?

As far as i can tell people don't call in the blinds with sc-s to a co raise from a reg (important that not nitty mc nit raises from the utg), but how profitable is it to do it with a bit better playable low pp but still worthless 7/8 of the time from a guy with no apparent postflop weakness, or simply lack of information.