This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH, vs. an aggro monkey

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $0.53 (26.5 bb)
      MP: $2.95 (147.5 bb)
      CO: $1.35 (67.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $2.02 (101 bb)
      SB: $5 (250 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A J
      MP folds, CO raises to $0.04, Hero raises to $0.12, 2 folds, CO raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.43) A A 4 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.43) 6 (2 players)
      CO bets $0.08, Hero raises to $0.34, CO calls $0.26

River: ($1.11) 5 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $0.38, CO calls $0.38

Results:
      $1.87 pot ($0.07 rake)
      Final Board: A A 4 6 5
      CO mucked K K and lost (-$0.92 net)
      Hero showed A J and won $1.80 ($0.88 net)

Hi everyone,

The villain's vpip was about 60% for more than 250 hands. He was opening cheaply with 2 bb, and often just limped in. Because of him, after a while my stats also looked "all green", since I was trying to isolate him with anything playable.

Now the question is, did I extract all the value I could from his hand?

As he plays any ace, I assumed he might slowplay the flop and gave him an opportunity to bluff the turn. Didn't work though, so I raised him. Should I have raised more? I was afraid to freak him out. He might have been on a draw...but then, I don't think I could freak him out if that's the case.

On river flush arrived. I didn't know what to do. Even if he doesn't have a flush, he would never call a big bet with AA board + flush. His line doesn't seem like Ax with weaker kicker.

So I betted really small. Maybe he could raise me as a bluff...it's not that likely though. I was mainly hoping him to call such a small bet just to see what the hell I'm betting with.

Sorry for a long post :)

What do you think?
  • 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi German,

I'm assuming this is the first (or one of the few) min open / min 4-bet that he has made?

If so we can usually expect a very strong hand from villain. A lot of the time these min raise / min 4-bet lines or limp / min 3bet are strong hands (top of his range).

With that being said, based on his flop and turn line he is almost always on an underpair like JJ-KK and sometimes a draw (KQhh).

As played I think we can actually do two things. Raise slightly bigger on the turn and bet slightly bigger on the river.

Since he was the preflop aggressor (4-bet) his strong pairs will have a hard time folding, especially the big ones like QQ/KK.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Yeah, you aright, Bogdan, that's the first time he 3-betted or 4-betted at all.

I didn't pay much attention to it during the game, I should stay more concentrated :)