[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH, vs. an aggro monkey

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $0.53 (26.5 bb)
      MP: $2.95 (147.5 bb)
      CO: $1.35 (67.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $2.02 (101 bb)
      SB: $5 (250 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A J
      MP folds, CO raises to $0.04, Hero raises to $0.12, 2 folds, CO raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.43) A A 4 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.43) 6 (2 players)
      CO bets $0.08, Hero raises to $0.34, CO calls $0.26

River: ($1.11) 5 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $0.38, CO calls $0.38

Results:
      $1.87 pot ($0.07 rake)
      Final Board: A A 4 6 5
      CO mucked K K and lost (-$0.92 net)
      Hero showed A J and won $1.80 ($0.88 net)

Hi everyone,

The villain's vpip was about 60% for more than 250 hands. He was opening cheaply with 2 bb, and often just limped in. Because of him, after a while my stats also looked "all green", since I was trying to isolate him with anything playable.

Now the question is, did I extract all the value I could from his hand?

As he plays any ace, I assumed he might slowplay the flop and gave him an opportunity to bluff the turn. Didn't work though, so I raised him. Should I have raised more? I was afraid to freak him out. He might have been on a draw...but then, I don't think I could freak him out if that's the case.

On river flush arrived. I didn't know what to do. Even if he doesn't have a flush, he would never call a big bet with AA board + flush. His line doesn't seem like Ax with weaker kicker.

So I betted really small. Maybe he could raise me as a bluff...it's not that likely though. I was mainly hoping him to call such a small bet just to see what the hell I'm betting with.

Sorry for a long post :)

What do you think?
  • 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi German,

I'm assuming this is the first (or one of the few) min open / min 4-bet that he has made?

If so we can usually expect a very strong hand from villain. A lot of the time these min raise / min 4-bet lines or limp / min 3bet are strong hands (top of his range).

With that being said, based on his flop and turn line he is almost always on an underpair like JJ-KK and sometimes a draw (KQhh).

As played I think we can actually do two things. Raise slightly bigger on the turn and bet slightly bigger on the river.

Since he was the preflop aggressor (4-bet) his strong pairs will have a hard time folding, especially the big ones like QQ/KK.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Yeah, you aright, Bogdan, that's the first time he 3-betted or 4-betted at all.

I didn't pay much attention to it during the game, I should stay more concentrated :)