[NL2-NL10] call down correct?

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Prima, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (MP): $16.15 (161.5 bb)
      CO: $19.68 (196.8 bb)
      BTN: $10 (100 bb)
      SB: $17.01 (170.1 bb)
      BB: $25.79 (257.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A K
      Hero raises to $0.30, CO folds, BTN calls $0.30, SB calls $0.25, BB folds

Flop: ($1) 6 2 A (3 players)
      SB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, BTN folds

Should I raise here? I thought raising might be a bot of an overplay. By calling I'll keep his bluffs and weaker aces in the hand. Also if he has a 2pair+ then by raising I'm just isolating myself against better part of his range.

Turn: ($2) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $2, Hero calls $2

My equity improves here but I decide to just call down for similar reasons as on flop.

River: ($6) 7 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

f he bets~$4 I should fold then right?
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Mahee,

Preflop: looks fine

Flop: What do we know about villain?

If he is a fishy player I'm raising here for value/protection as I'd expect him to bet/call all Ax/draws (non 2p Ax).

As played I don't mind calling turn/river (assuming he is unknown). Even if he bets bigger I'd still call as he can bet worse Ax and missed draws.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Also if he has a 2pair+ then by raising I'm just isolating myself against better part of his range.

Are you saying that no weaker hands call? Well, how about semi-bluffing draws? We should protect the hand, regardless that in 1 out of 100 cases he'll have A2 or A6 here. It's not all about value.

PS: Also, perhaps the first part of the quote (with 2P+) is redundant. 2P+ is a part of his range, and he should not necessarily have it, for us to isolate ourselves against it.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Don't have any info on the villian now. Most of the hands I play are on anonymous tables. I do have stats when I play but don't have them after the session when i review. All stats that come in the history are stats for all people who played in the same seat across tables so its kinda meaningless.

From what I remember from memory he was loose and more towards a fishy player.

I think I've been playing a bit passively lately and just wanted to make sure I'm not doing it wrong. I'm leaning more towards polarizing my post flop range by playing strong made hands and bluffs aggressively and playing my medium made hands passively.

@ Th334 My first thought was to raise to protect against flush draws. He however was the kind of guy who could have a lot of weaker aces in his range too. If I raise I don't expect to get any more value from weaker aces like A9 or even upto AT. Except the flush draw the board is rather dry and not very connected so I thought I maybe don't need that much protection.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by maheepsangari
      Don't have any info on the villian now. Most of the hands I play are on anonymous tables. I do have stats when I play but don't have them after the session when i review. All stats that come in the history are stats for all people who played in the same seat across tables so its kinda meaningless.

From what I remember from memory he was loose and more towards a fishy player.

I think I've been playing a bit passively lately and just wanted to make sure I'm not doing it wrong. I'm leaning more towards polarizing my post flop range by playing strong made hands and bluffs aggressively and playing my medium made hands passively.

@ Th334 My first thought was to raise to protect against flush draws. He however was the kind of guy who could have a lot of weaker aces in his range too. If I raise I don't expect to get any more value from weaker aces like A9 or even upto AT. Except the flush draw the board is rather dry and not very connected so I thought I maybe don't need that much protection.
      If he was more towards a loose fishy player I prefer a small raise for value on the flop. A lot of Ax hands won't fold to a small raise (1.5 or so).