[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH, JJ overpair

• Th334
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $4.35 (217.5 bb)
      BB: $2.11 (105.5 bb)
      MP: $0.91 (45.5 bb)
      CO: $4.71 (235.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $2.40 (120 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J J
      MP calls $0.02, CO raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, 2 folds, MP calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.21) 7 3 2 (3 players)
      MP checks, CO bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, MP calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.57) 3 (3 players)
      MP checks, CO checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.57) 8 (3 players)
      MP bets $0.12, CO folds, Hero calls $0.12

Preflop: with small pockets, even sometimes with JJ, I don't particularly like to raise someone. As I understand it "don't raise when you have a profitable call". The raise would turn out hand into a bluff (the villain is a TAG), and that's not how we want to play our JJ. Right?

Flop: well, I can't see why we should be afraid of his c-bet, considering that he'll almost always c-bet after his raise preflop was called.

Turn: I don't know why I played passively here. Should I consider my hand the best and bet for value and protection? He might even think that we are floating and call with overpairs.

River: MP's line looked like a draw. Still, just like me, he could have been on a weaker overpair, sth like 67 or he's just bluffing with a busted draw. So Hero calls here anyway against such a small bet?

• 1 reply
    • kymupa

If you don't want to stack off preflop, and don't think that worse hands would call, then flatting is just fine.

We have an easy call on the flop here. He could bet worse overpairs, 7x, PPs, FD and sometimes even some random bluffs.

I think we have an easy bet on the turn when they both check. We want value from worse pairs and draws.

As played, calling the river is the least we can do here.
      You could even consider a small raise - something like $0.28-$0.3 and fold to a 3bet.