where do I start

• AlexandraAndrea
      AlexandraAndrea
      Bronze
      Hey, i have been playing poker sometime now, mostly i played live,tourneys and cash, i dont want poker as a pro, dream on :) poker as a hobby.

I went to vegas last summer, just observe WSOP, played some non bracelet event, and even cashed - so i must be doing something right.
      The thing is about online - i have no idea where to start, what software i need, u talk guy here about HUD and trackers, and i have no clue what is that why do i need it etc. For the last month i tried partypoker, played some SNG and FFward, really liked it, but then i come here read about graphs and BB/100 (???) and i start feeling such an idiot that i dont know what u talking about :)

OK,so what is the basic u need for playing online, how do i get those converters or whatever it is.

Thank u, for all ur answers
      Alex
  • 5 replies
    • sebsejr
      sebsejr
      Bronze
      Basically, a HUD is just a program that you can download to your computer, and it will keep track of every single hand you play, AND it will keep track of all the hands your opponents play. This means, first of all, when you are at the tables, you will be getting a great idea of how your opponents are playing. You can immediately pick out the fish from the nits and from the TAGs, enabling you to adjust your game and play a lot more profitatbly.

The other thing that a HUD gives, is the ability to analyze your own game very carefully. You will have data on how you play every single hand, meaning you can have others look at your stats and guide you, and explain some of your mistakes to you.

And, also, it tells you how much you are winning per 100 hand. That is what people call bb/100 or BB/100. bb/100 is the amount of big blinds you win every time you play 100 hands on average. a common winrate is like 5bb/100. BB/100 is a weird way of writing the same thing, but a BB is double a bb, meaning, that if you have a winrate of 5bb/100, you also have a winrate of 2,5BB/100. This is just two different ways of writing the same exact thing.

Anyway, my advice to you is: go to pokertracker.com and download the 30 day FREE trial of pokertracker4, which is a HUD, see how you like it. After that, either try another HUD (Hold 'em manager 2), or buy Pokertracker 4.

Happy grinding
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Alex

Congrats on the live cash, must have been a great experience to go out and see the WSOP, got any pics to share with us?

First thing i would recommend is starting right from the beginning read all our basic articles, it never hurts to go over the basics and you could always learn new things, refresh your mind on things you may have forgotten about. From there just keep reading go to bronze silver and gold. After that start watching videos to see the content put into action.

Most importantly keep asking questions here. You don't learn if you don't ask so if you get stuck with anything let us know yeah?

Regards
      Carl
    • AlexandraAndrea
      AlexandraAndrea
      Bronze
      Thanks guys for input.

as for experience of WSOP, it was something unreal, totally different from my local club game, very tough game but really enjoyed it. (sorry dont know how to post pics :) )

The reason i kept off writing here something was that i m not typical poker player, nor i m a guy, i dont have much time to study a game as you do, i am more mum then a grinder, but every time opportunity comes i would watch videos, love reading the hands without knowing the outcome (win/lost) trying to figure out what i would do etc. I just absolutely love the game, i never felt like this about any hobbies i had in the past like i feel excitment of playing poker.

I dont have any idea how I play, LAG or TAG or i m so called a fish. But i would love to find out, would love to find out the stats, the hand histories and post them here to evaluate, i am not afraid of critisism, what stops me i think its being laughed at, that happened when i started playing my local club, smtimes it happens even now with non regulars guys commenting on my play, on my hero calls and etc.

I dont have any ANY friends who plays poker, even my HB is not interested in that at all. Only thing i have his support, he thinks i m really good at it, lol :)

I ll try to install that HUD and start from there, see how it goes :)

Any more advice is more than welcome :)

Alex
    • AlexandraAndrea
      AlexandraAndrea
      Bronze
      ok so i install that poker tracker 4, trying to connect, but it says unable to connect to this database, please check configuration ?(
      tried to search poker tracker forums but have no idea how to fix this...
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey again Alex,

The great thing about poker is it's something you can learn at your own pace. So no matter how much other stuff you have going on you can still improve at poker it might just take a while longer :) . Don't be afraid of being laughed at either. Those guys at your local game were either fish or idiots. No body with a brain would do something that might encourage a fish to not play anymore so get ready to take all their money next time ;)

Sounds like you already have one of the things needed to be a winner, enthusiasm so lets get you on the right track.

Take a look here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/12/

Holdem Manager is widely regarded as the daddy of poker software so you should check it out. There is a free trial not sure if it is 30 days or 15 days but still worth it. You can find all the installation and set up guides here: http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/categories/Getting+Started/

As for articles start with the basics here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/ if you play cash or
      Here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/ if you want to read about Sit n Gos. If you don't have time during the day to sit and read them you could try printing them off and taking them to bed for some night time reading :)

Decide what game type you want to focus on. Let me know and we can go from there and sort you out the next steps