[NL2-NL10] sh nl2, JTs cold-call

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $4.72 (236 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $2 (100 bb)
      SB: $1.94 (97 bb)
      BB: $5.48 (274 bb)
      MP: $0.78 (39 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with T J
      MP folds, CO raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, SB calls $0.05, BB folds

Flop: ($0.20) 8 3 5 (3 players)
      SB bets $0.10, CO folds, Hero calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.40) A (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

River: ($0.80) 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

The villain's stats looked pretty tight and not aggressive.

Preflop: how about my call? Do suited broadway connectors like JT and QJ flop better than other connectors? Is it profitable to call 3 bb without cold-callers before us? What also influenced my decisions, is the tight opponent (will more likely stack if I hit) and my position.

Flop: the flop is not the one I expect him to hit. I decided to try floating him out. In the end, I still have overpairs, backdoor FD, and he bets only 1/2 the pot.

Turn: I cached FD and called his another 1/2 pot bet without much thinking (an ace has probably improved my implied pot odds).

Thanks for your comments :f_grin:
  • 2 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think pre-flop call is fine. JTs plays fine in multiway pot and imo it is too strong hand to fold 100bb. Some aggressive players would 3-bet that spot to take initiative and force better hands to fold.

Don´t think your float is bad, but you then likely have to raise or bet to take down pot without improving. I would generally prefer just folding against flop lead, since likely you´re behind and SB is leading into raiser that makes it more difficult taking down pot on the turn/river.

I would likely raise turn or at least bet river. If he is bluffing, he would likely bluff that scare card and since you picked up extra equity he should fold to 0.55$ raise. If you cann turn, then you should bet 0.40+ on the river to take down pot (he should c/f there quite often)

best regards,
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi Kaitz

Oh, I screwed it up. I was thinking...how come the villain is tight and showed A4o on the showdown?..

Obviously, I mixed up the preflop aggressor with this fishy donk -- SB.

When I was referring to float, I was going to bet if he checks. It doesn't make much sense now, because I see that it was not a c-bet, since SB is not the preflop aggressor.

So you think we can raise turn or bet river here? Why? I don't think someone would donk in front of the preflop aggressor just with air, and then 2nd barrel the turn.

(actually he did donk with air...but well, it should be an exception I guess)