[NL2-NL10] sh nl2, 65s cold-call

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $8.95 (447.5 bb)
      MP: $0.77 (38.5 bb)
      CO: $2.38 (119 bb)
      BTN: $2.81 (140.5 bb)
      Hero (SB): $2 (100 bb)
      BB: $0.93 (46.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5 6
      UTG raises to $0.06, MP calls $0.06, CO folds, BTN raises to $0.10, Hero calls $0.09, BB folds, UTG calls $0.04, MP calls $0.04

Calling 9 cents might seem like too much with 65s, but I expected the pot to become multiway when UTG calls this ridiculously small 3-bet from BU. Is it fine?

Flop: ($0.42) 4 4 T (4 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, BTN bets $0.44, Hero calls $0.44, 2 folds

Flop: well, really huge and stupid bet on 44T board from BU, but I assumed I would make him stack if I hit, since he showed such aggression. Is it still fold?

Turn: ($1.30) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.40, Hero raises to $1.46 and is all-in, BTN calls $0.06

Turn: another overbet. we shove.

PS: Well, that's how he was playing a FD on the flop (unfortunately, a higher one). Did I do everything right here, or I overlooked something important? Just considering this hand, the villain is some sort of a weird fish, and it was also my first game at the table.
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi German,

Preflop: I don't like the preflop call. Our hand rarely flops something great and when we pick up a flush draw we usually have the worst FD.

So really your hope is to flop 2p+ (5% of the time) and OESD and sometimes FDs.

Personally I'd just muck it preflop vs the min 3-bet. And we shouldn't forget that the action is reopened so both UTG and MP could wake up and 4-bet. MP is short so can decide to 4-bet wider and BB is also short and may decide to reraise.

The are so many reason as to why not to play this type of hands here that I'd muck it right away.

As played you hit one of the things you want and went with the hand. The problem is that we are drawing to a weak flush and can easily be dominated by better flush draws. We can also have reverse implied odds versus full houses, quads and his Overpairs have a chance to become a full house by the river.

Overall, considering we still have two guys behind and such a weak draw I would fold the flop (but of course first i'd fold preflop).
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      I would fold the flop (but of course first i'd fold preflop).
      Oh, lovely, my game is getting worse and worse :f_biggrin:

Shame that you could not fold something before preflop...to make me feel completely miserable :f_biggrin:

On subject:
      1) thanks, Bogdan
      2) would you consider preflop if it was one raise 9c, then one cold-call, and we had a higher suited connector, f.e. 98s?
      3) talking of speculative hands: suited connectors are generally better than suited wheel aces? If we consider cases where someone has already opened preflop (aces will often get dominated by the aggressor). Does it depend on how high is the ace's kicker or how high is the connector?
      4) thanks, Bogdan :f_biggrin:
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Th334
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      I would fold the flop (but of course first i'd fold preflop).
      Oh, lovely, my game is getting worse and worse :f_biggrin:

Shame that you could not fold something before preflop...to make me feel completely miserable :f_biggrin:

On subject:
      1) thanks, Bogdan
      2) would you consider preflop if it was one raise 9c, then one cold-call, and we had a higher suited connector, f.e. 98s?
      3) talking of speculative hands: suited connectors are generally better than suited wheel aces? If we consider cases where someone has already opened preflop (aces will often get dominated by the aggressor). Does it depend on how high is the ace's kicker or how high is the connector?
      4) thanks, Bogdan :f_biggrin:
      1) You are welcome
      2) We would definitely have less reasons to fold if that were the case but we still have to invest 4.5 BBs into a speculative hand. So we need to look at other factors too such as villains stack size (do they have a big enough stack for implied odds), positions (can I have absolute position so I can take down the pot if noone wants it), etc.
      3) If you play versus fishy guys suited aces are always superior because you will dominate all the other flush draws (and they will have many). You are also able to gain value from a TP type hand. Of course if we have a low kicker we wouldn't look at playing large pots.
      4) You are welcome :s_cool:
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Sweet! A nice mini-guide to speculative hands :) Cheers.