[NL2-NL10] How do we bluff-raise?

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $2.65 (132.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $2.93 (146.5 bb)
      SB: $4.29 (214.5 bb)
      BB: $3.61 (180.5 bb)
      MP: $1.86 (93 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A 8
      MP calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.12, 3 folds, CO calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.29) 3 9 4 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.29) J (2 players)
      CO bets $0.12, Hero raises to $0.40, CO folds

Is it a good spot for a bluff-raise?

Any recommendations for when to use and when not to use it?

It was one of my very few, if not the first, pure bluff-raise. I considered it more like a delayed c-bet though :f_biggrin:

Cheers!
  • 6 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop I wouldn't isolate A8o against two opponents. If it was suited, then I'd go for it, but offsuit I'd just muck them.

On the flop I'd make a cbet here.

On the turn I prefer folding.
      There are a lot of draws and the chance of him calling, also considering our strange line, is big and I'd just let it go here.

Best,
      Plamen
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi Plamen,

Thanks for your comments. I have few questions please.

Why would you c-bet the flop? Considering his limp-call line, I think he might have easily hit this board, which has both FD and is quite coordinated. Also, it wouldn't look for the villain like we hit something we were raising with.

When we checked behind the flop, it is very likely that he won't check again the turn, and might easily bluff, hoping to get the pot. As a small indication that we are close to the truth, his bet size is less than 1/2 pot. If he was a bit more confident on the turn, I would definitely fold.

My observation at 2nl is that players rarely play trickily: his line looks like air, and most likely it is.

Is checking behind the flop and raising the turn never used against players who love calling c-bets? It seemed like fairly logical line to me.

Best regards,

German
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello again,

Nice questions here.

First of all, I don't think that 943tt is quite coordinated board. Yeah, he might have a FD or some 9x/PP that he'd go for a check/call with, but then he has tons of QT/J7 - all this kind of stuff that we would love to fold. If we don't cbet as a bluff here what's the reason for the isolation in the first place?

Also as played, main reason for not raising the turn is:
      - we don't know how the opponent plays - we don't know if he even folds 3x here, we don't know anything about his bet sizing
      - we have particularly 0 equity - what I mean is if we get called then we have to give up on the river almost always.

So, instead of bluffing with no equity where we can hardly represent a good hand, I'd just fold here.

Do you have anything to add here?

Best,
      Plamen
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Yeah, true. I didn't consider that the only thing we can represent is something like AJ, which still doesn't have that many reasons to raise.

If we don't cbet as a bluff here what's the reason for the isolation in the first place?

Do we tend to c-bet more when isolating than when we were just cold-called? Why?

It makes some sense... I just cannot figure out what's that.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well, if people do tend to fold a lot vs cbet the only logical think to do is to cbet against them more, right?
      And then, if they don't fold to cbet a lot we just isolate them tighter and play our value hands.

So, in this spot, if we do isolate A8o here, we will have to cbet more, because if we just cbet only when we hit A or 8 we might be loosing money.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Gotcha, thanks Plamen.