Poker books

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

Recently I got an idea of purchasing some poker literature. Therefore, the're two questions I'd like to ask you guys:

1) What is considered to be a good, solid piece of writing on online, no limit, short-handed cash game poker? Perfectly the one that can benefit somebody who plays at micro limits as well.

2) This probably should be the question #1. How to approach poker books? Well, I know how to approach a novel, and I know how to approach a science textbook. Not so much with poker books. When should I start reading them, how should I do this, do they get outdated, etc.

Thanks!
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

1) What is considered to be a good, solid piece of writing on online, no limit, short-handed cash game poker? Perfectly the one that can benefit somebody who plays at micro limits as well.
      - I think pokerstrategy videos and articles should be fine for starting levels. Mostly it depends on you and how you react to 3-bets/raises. To me aggressive plays has bring more profit. Can´t suggest any pokerbook, since to me they have not really gave too much

2) This probably should be the question #1. How to approach poker books?
      - I would read them as novels. Maybe think over some situations and ask yourself if you have made the same play as coach or if not, then why he acted differently and what is his reasons.

Also you can always look up some huge winners at your database and follow their game. See how often they are 3-betting, when they are 3-barreling, when give up, what hands they would go to showdown. It is usually helping more than reading 4-5 year old book about plays that don´t work any more

best regards,
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Tommy Angelos book Elements of Poker should be very good, it's mostly about the right mindset of poker and to avoid tilt. I haven't read it myself but I think i'm going to very soon.

You can check it out here:
      http://shop.tommyangelo.com/products/elements-of-poker

On this site you can get both his books for one books price.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Thanks guys.

Kaitz, is it really like that in online poker, do old profitable lines rotate out and become non-profitable? It seems like the math behind decisions does not change. Also, PS articles are sometimes pretty old too, same with some videos.

It just seemed to me that someone like Harrington should understand poker math better than a regular on my limit, and, let's be honest, better than PS authors, even though I love them all :)