[NL20-NL50] NL50FR - A9s on SB

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP1: $52.81 (105.6 bb)
      MP2: $56.46 (112.9 bb)
      MP3: $57.17 (114.3 bb)
      CO: $49.25 (98.5 bb)
      BTN: $100.75 (201.5 bb)
      Hero (SB): $52.88 (105.8 bb)
      BB: $50 (100 bb)
      UTG+1: $47.75 (95.5 bb)
      UTG+2: $74.15 (148.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A 9
      5 folds, CO raises to $1, BTN folds, Hero raises to $3.50, BB folds, CO calls $2.50

Flop: ($7.50) 5 K 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.31, CO raises to $12, Hero folds

Results:
      $18.12 pot ($0.99 rake)
      Final Board: 5 K 4
      CO mucked and won $17.13 ($8.32 net)
      Hero mucked A 9 and lost (-$8.81 net)

Stats: VPIP: 25, PFR: 7, 3B: 3, AF: 2,4, Hands: 628

Despite his low PFR, he had a very big CO steal range therefore I decide not to just give up with A9s and 3Bet, he doesn't fold, I continue with my bluff and then give up when it doesn't work.
      Thoughts?
  • 7 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      What's his fold vs 3bet?

You completely viffed the board. If you 3bet bluff preflop you assume he doesn't call too weak preflop therefore bluffing with no equity postflop doesn't seem like the best idea.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      What's his fold vs 3bet?

You completely viffed the board. If you 3bet bluff preflop you assume he doesn't call too weak preflop therefore bluffing with no equity postflop doesn't seem like the best idea.
      Fold to 3bet is 17, but only on 6 samples (and fold to MY 3Bet is 0 on 2 samples).
      I guess I should take the Fold to resteal however, which is 0 on 3 samples.

So uhm... what do you say, bluff is still not a good idea? Close?
      Or I guess is just not a good idea to 3Bet?
      His CO steal is 26% btw.

What I thought is basically the 3Bet is a semibluff, I'm happy if he folds, but I'm fairly happy if he calls as well since I can bluff him out or at least I have initiative (as opposed to just calling him).
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AtrociousNightmare
      What I thought is basically the 3Bet is a semibluff, I'm happy if he folds, but I'm fairly happy if he calls as well since I can bluff him out or at least I have initiative (as opposed to just calling him).
      I think this is good. Your hand has potential to make him fold better but also get value in some spots. Continuing with that thought, why is your hand good as a semibluff? Knowing how it's good to semibluff preflop you can probably see the idea for postflop as well.

Now when you look at this flop, how much can you still continue with your plan? 26% in CO is not much imo btw but not folding to 3bets often tells you 2 things: his range is weaker postflop but also that it will have more aces than dominate you. Your A9 won't play like AJ because he calls AQ, AJ and AT probably, while a tight opponent only calls AQ, almost never AJ so your 9 kicker will be just as good as a J kicker in that situation.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      I think this is good. Your hand has potential to make him fold better but also get value in some spots. Continuing with that thought, why is your hand good as a semibluff? Knowing how it's good to semibluff preflop you can probably see the idea for postflop as well.

Now when you look at this flop, how much can you still continue with your plan? 26% in CO is not much imo btw but not folding to 3bets often tells you 2 things: his range is weaker postflop but also that it will have more aces than dominate you. Your A9 won't play like AJ because he calls AQ, AJ and AT probably, while a tight opponent only calls AQ, almost never AJ so your 9 kicker will be just as good as a J kicker in that situation.
      Ok I understood the preflop (summary, it's a good semibluff, right?).
      But I still am a bit confused on the postflop (sorry!).
      I don't get what you mean with "your A9 won't play like AJ" and obviously the things after that.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze

I don't get what you mean with "your A9 won't play like AJ" and obviously the things after that.
      You semibluff preflop. This means your hand has equity. How does the flop go with your plan of semibluffing?

What I meant with A9=AJ is that when your opponent only has AQ as Ax in his range, you don't care whether your kicker is 9 or J because he only has AQ in his range anyway. This opponent however, doesn't fold to 3bets so he probably calls AJ and AT too, so now flopping an ace is not as good, you are less likely to have the best hand (more better Ax in his range than your A9).
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze

You semibluff preflop. This means your hand has equity. How does the flop go with your plan of semibluffing?

What I meant with A9=AJ is that when your opponent only has AQ as Ax in his range, you don't care whether your kicker is 9 or J because he only has AQ in his range anyway. This opponent however, doesn't fold to 3bets so he probably calls AJ and AT too, so now flopping an ace is not as good, you are less likely to have the best hand (more better Ax in his range than your A9).
      Alright, so, let's see if I got this.
      The concept is, if I semibluff preflop, I have to follow the line and only SEMIbluff the flop, e.g. I get a FD, and not completely bluff.
      [I got the A9~AJ thing]
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze

Alright, so, let's see if I got this.
      The concept is, if I semibluff preflop, I have to follow the line and only SEMIbluff the flop, e.g. I get a FD, and not completely bluff.
      [I got the A9~AJ thing]
      Yep. It's basically about having equity.That's what a semibluff is actually: a bluff with a certain amount of equity. It doesn't have to be a flushdraw always. It can be some overcards, it can be a pair with 2pair and trip outs. Often I also think a backdoor flushdraw is enough vs most opponents on a dry board since they play fit or fold. Here however, you have flopped almost 0% equity so you cannot semibluff. You could try a so called pure bluff but then you rely solely on folding equity which is hard to have against somewhat loose players.